Source: Peavy likely out as Saturday's starter

ChiSox_Sonix

Peavy likely out as starter

The chances of Jake Peavy making his first start for the White Sox on Saturday are remote, team sources said on Wednesday.

Pitching coach Don Cooper said that Peavy was unable to throw his side session on Wednesday due to lingering effects of being hit by a line drive in his last rehab start on Monday. The right-handers is still getting treatment on on his pitching arm, which had some swelling and soreness.

It appears that the White Sox's choices for a starting pitcher on Saturday will be either minor leaguers Carlos Torres or rookie sensation Dan Hudson. Hudson has made a meteoric rise to the top of the organization after starting the season at the lowest level of the minors.

According to the source, Cooper said that he's hoping Peavy will not pitch until his elbow soreness has gone away.

Everyone who's been clamoring to see Hudson may get that wish on Saturday. In Yankee Stadium no less. I'm pretty sure I'd give that start to Torres if it was me making that decision. But obviously Hudson's rise this year has not been unnoticed outside of the Sox too.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
We can take solace in the fact it's due to a fluke occurrence and it's not conditioning or existing injury related.

+1

I wouldn't mind throwing Hudson out there, out of desperation at this point. Torres got away with a lot of bad pitches in his first start and got hit hard in his second.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
We can take solace in the fact it's due to a fluke occurrence and it's not conditioning or existing injury related.

yes, but an occurrence that's not surprising the way this season's gone so far......I mean it's another sign to the faithful not to put our hopes in a savior

Looks like it could be Hudson. His Facebook status, "Can't WAIT to come home this weekend!." Then one of his friends says, "Hopefully there will be a good turnout for your professional homecoming. I'll be there. Not too shabby to get to see you and Jake Peavy pitch in the same weekend, if that is still indeed the plan!"

QUOTE (Hanky Panky @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Looks like it could be Hudson. His Facebook status, "Can't WAIT to come home this weekend!." Then one of his friends says, "Hopefully there will be a good turnout for your professional homecoming. I'll be there. Not too shabby to get to see you and Jake Peavy pitch in the same weekend, if that is still indeed the plan!"

Hudson is from Virginia. AAA is playing in Norfolk, Virginia this weekend.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
I can't wait to see Neal Cotts in Yankee Stadium...

Nice. I mean I would hate to see Huddy up this year for the posters who aren't patient enough especially. I would love to see him don't get me wrong, but making your debut against a very patient Yankees team when you've struggled with pitch count in AAA (from jumping from AA, whose hitters aren't as patient) is not good. I don't like our chances anymore though, so I wouldn't mind seeing part of the future out there. If we were closer to first, I'd probably say Torres without a doubt.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Nice. I mean I would hate to see Huddy up this year for the posters who aren't patient enough especially. I would love to see him don't get me wrong, but making your debut against a very patient Yankees team when you've struggled with pitch count in AAA (from jumping from AA, whose hitters aren't as patient) is not good. I don't like our chances anymore though, so I wouldn't mind seeing part of the future out there. If we were closer to first, I'd probably say Torres without a doubt.

Hudson hasn't made an Major League start yet. Torres has and has proven that he is unable to throw strikes. I'll take the road less taken at this point.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)

I think starting Hudson in Yankee Stadium is just asking to be blown out. No disrespect to him, but a guy making a major league debut against the best team in the AL on baseball's biggest stage is disaster, and if the Sox start him in NY, I know they have waved the white flag on the season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
Hudson hasn't made an Major League start yet. Torres has and has proven that he is unable to throw strikes. I'll take the road less taken at this point.

His major league debut.. 6.0 IP 6 H 3 ER 3 BB 3 SO was very solid against a good TB offense. He struggled against Cleveland with his control in just his second ML start and already he's "proven" or "trash" as others have called him.. Ugh.. I'm not saying Torres is the definite answer especially considering his future is in the pen IMO, but I'll take a guy whose had a great year in AAA IF the sox were closer to first as I stated considering Hudson is still only 2-3 starts in AAA and getting used to a higher level. Now I agree with you that we should look at the future in Hudson partially because I don't think the sox can win anything the way they are playing, and I think Hudson can't be any worse than Count, but I believe it's just a bad matchup against the Yankees. But this is baseball so you never know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
I think starting Hudson in Yankee Stadium is just asking to be blown out. No disrespect to him, but a guy making a major league debut against the best team in the AL on baseball's biggest stage is disaster, and if the Sox start him in NY, I know they have waved the white flag on the season.

Agreed completely.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Why are we scared to let the kid fail? Everybody fails, it's his job to pick himseful up again afterwards. And what if he does pitch well? How pumped would we all be?

The idea is to win the game, not play with a new toy. A rookie making a debut against Kansas City would be nervous. Against ARod,Jeter, Texiera, etc, in Yankee Stadium in a must win game is not how you break guys in. Maybe in the long run it won't hurt him, but it certainly is not going to help him or the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
The idea is to win the game, not play with a new toy. A rookie making a debut against Kansas City would be nervous. Against ARod,Jeter, Texiera, etc, in Yankee Stadium in a must win game is not how you break guys in. Maybe in the long run it won't hurt him, but it certainly is not going to help him or the White Sox.

I honestly think Carlos Torres would be destroyed too. I think the idea should be to make the kid face adversity and see how he reacts.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
I honestly think Carlos Torres would be destroyed too. I think the idea should be to make the kid face adversity and see how he reacts.

That's something that could be done when you have given up on the season. If the Sox start Hudson, I know they have surrendered. Anytime you are fighting for your playoff life and lose a game huge, but expect it because you're starting a guy who has never pitched at that level before, is giving up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
I would love to see Hudson pitch and get his feet wet for next year. Might as well see what he brings to the table. Anyways, side thought- if we put Linebrink on waivers, would anyone claim him?

No chance in hell.

Edited by Milkman delivers

How about Brad Penny for the #5? He just got released.

Penny granted release, making room for Wagner

Veteran right-hander Brad Penny requested and received his release tonight in a move that clears a roster spot for reliever Billy Wagner and gives Penny time to join a new team before postseason rosters are set.

“I asked for my release and I got it,” Penny said.

Speaking after last night’s 3-2 victory over the White Sox, Penny thanked the Red Sox for taking a chance on him.

“I enjoyed playing with all of the guys,” he said. “I played for a great manager on a great team. I had a great time. I enjoyed it. I wish things had worked out better, but that happens.”

Penny will be placed on release waivers tomorrow and clear them on Monday. He can talk to other teams while on waivers, but he can’t formally enter into a contract until he clears. He would like the opportunity to start, which probably wasn’t going to happen in Boston.

The former All-Star was removed from the rotation after winning just once in his final 11 starts. He was ready to pitch in relief of Tim Wakefield tonight, but Wakefield didn’t need it and after the game Penny huddled with manager Terry Francona and general manager Theo Epstein.

Penny’s goal is to hook on with someone else by the end of August, which would make him postseason-eligible. Even with his numbers not where he wanted them, he was still throwing 97 mph in his final start.

Coming off a serious arm injury, Penny was one of the team’s low-cost flyers this offseason. He signed a one-year, $5 million contract with another $3 million in potential incentives, though he fell short of all of them.

After a slow start, he pitched well. He went 4-3 with a 3.68 ERA in 12 starts between May 3 and July 4, but then everything fell apart.

He has won just once since June 18 and was removed from the rotation after allowing eight runs in four innings of Friday’s 20-11 loss to the Yankees. He finished his Red Sox career 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA.

“I had some bad breaks and made some bad pitches,” he said. “But I’m healthy, and that’s what I’m happy about. This isn’t last year, when I was hurt. If that had been the case, I’d be upset.

“All in all I had a great time here. My shoulder is healthy and I’m glad I came here. It was a blessing.”

Penny’s departure creates an opening for Wagner, the left-handed reliever who was acquired from the Mets on Tuesday and is expected in uniform tomorrow night.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/r...oom-for-wagner/

I wouldn't want Penny, mainly because he's not all that great anymore. Quite frankly, Hudson or Torres could give us a better start, or maybe Peavy will be better, we'll see tomorrow after a condensed BP session.

Taking a ball off your elbow is painful as hell, I could barely move my arm last year when that happened. But if you manage it right, it should be better in one or two days.