Source: Peavy likely out as Saturday's starter

ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
The idea is to win the game, not play with a new toy. A rookie making a debut against Kansas City would be nervous. Against ARod,Jeter, Texiera, etc, in Yankee Stadium in a must win game is not how you break guys in. Maybe in the long run it won't hurt him, but it certainly is not going to help him or the White Sox.

Sadly, Hudson gives us a better chance to win than Contreras or Torres. I'm not strongly advocating that Hudson gets the start, but if we need a win that badly to stay alive, it's worth considering.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
The idea is to win the game, not play with a new toy. A rookie making a debut against Kansas City would be nervous. Against ARod,Jeter, Texiera, etc, in Yankee Stadium in a must win game is not how you break guys in. Maybe in the long run it won't hurt him, but it certainly is not going to help him or the White Sox.

Also, it's usually in the pitcher's favor if the offense hasn't seen him before.

QUOTE (Hanky Panky @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I figured that, but his pal mentioned his "professional" debut. I may just be getting overly excited.

Professionaly homecoming means the first time he's pitched professionally in his home-town (AAA would count as professional ball).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
Hudson hasn't made an Major League start yet. Torres has and has proven that he is unable to throw strikes. I'll take the road less taken at this point.

And you don't give a guy his debut at Yankee stadium in a playoff race. The Sox made that mistake with Neal Cotts and I sure as hell hope they don't do that again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
And you don't give a guy his debut at Yankee stadium in a playoff race. The Sox made that mistake with Neal Cotts and I sure as hell hope they don't do that again.

Do you really have that little confidence in the kid? Furthermore, when do we stop preparing for the playoffs and start getting ready for next year? We're not very good. I'd rather give a kid the thrill of pitching in Yankee Stadium for his 1st start then see Torres getting his ass handed to him again.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Do you really have that little confidence in the kid? Furthermore, when do we stop preparing for the playoffs and start getting ready for next year? We're not very good. I'd rather give a kid the thrill of pitching in Yankee Stadium for his 1st start then see Torres getting his ass handed to him again.

Well its already clear from his AAA stops that he still has some work to do in the minors so ya, I do think it would be a huge mistake and I don't have confidence in him kicking butt right now.

Hudson has struggled at the highest minor league level with his command a bit and we are asking him to go face one of the best offensive teams in all of baseball (full of hitters with very good eyes) and put him into that.

That is absolutely absurd. I don't care how strong and how poised someone is. It is the manager's job to put guys in a position to succeed and by starting Hudson you are doing nothing but putting him in a position to fail.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Well its already clear from his AAA stops that he still has some work to do in the minors so ya, I do think it would be a huge mistake and I don't have confidence in him kicking butt right now.

Hudson has struggled at the highest minor league level with his command a bit and we are asking him to go face one of the best offensive teams in all of baseball (full of hitters with very good eyes) and put him into that.

That is absolutely absurd. I don't care how strong and how poised someone is. It is the manager's job to put guys in a position to succeed and by starting Hudson you are doing nothing but putting him in a position to fail.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.