Top 10 pick status

SoxAce

I usually don't like startin threads at all (I'd rather put up good info in another thread than to start one) but this is probably thread worthy. From the near competitiveness of our mediocre team earlier in the year to now the losing amazing to think the sox are actually close to a top 10 pick for next year in the draft. Since I'm a prospect freak, it's nice to look ahead for the next Gordon Beckham or Jared Mitchell for our org. in the draft.

So far, here's where we stand in the bottom 15.. (top 10 picks, then the others)

Washington 46-86 (probably will win the Bryce Harper sweepstakes)

Kansas City 50-81

Pittsburgh 53-78

Baltimore 54-79

San Diego 57-76

Oakland 58-73

Cleveland 58-73

Toronto 59-72

Cincinnati 59-73

New York (N) 59-73 (Who'd thunk it?)

Games back of top 10

Arizona 60-72 (1 game back)

Houston 63-69 (3.5 games back)

Sox 64-69 (4.5 games back)

Milwaukee 64-67 (5.5 games back)

Cubs 66-64 (8 games back)

*Minnesota 67-65 (8 games back just to add them in here)

Some of course are tied, but were closer to a top pick than we are of first which is sad especially considering if the season ended today, the Twins could have a top 15 pick right now (Ah the good ol' sucky AL/NL Centrals).

We are currently 13th overall now which is still very high. I don't want this team losing every friggin game now, but considering some of the guys who were dealt this year that some posters here had "mad" crushes on, you can say KW and company can easily fix that specific weakness in the farm (not to mention potential comp. picks) come next season.

We went from being competitive just a little over a month ago, to potentially having a top 10 pick. (and the way were going/performing.. we could be there in no time sadly) Other than Pittsburgh, we have the second worst (worst in AL) losing streak going right now.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
You forgot San Diego in there, so we are currently at 13th. As long as our pitching doesn't tank, I wouldn't mind letting some young guys come up and bat, and end up with a pick in the 10-12 range.

Thank you. Quick edit there.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)
anybody know the talent level of the players that may be entering the draft? im not too sure when players determine whether they are entering the draft or not.

It's pitcher heavy with a decent core of high school bats. The kid i want the most (as of now) is LSU pitcher Anthony Ranaudo, but i don't see him slipping past the top 5.

I've been thinking the same thing, and already have my favorite candidate:

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-basebl/s.../061109aab.html

Holt is only 20, and I don't know if he will decide to go pro before completing college, but if he does, the Sox might have a good chance to get him if they end up with around a number 15 pick. I saw one source that had him listed as the 8th best college player in next year's draft. If you add in the high school players, I guess he should be about a middle of the first round pick.

I've been thinking the same thing, and already have my favorite candidate:

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-basebl/s.../061109aab.html

Holt is only 20, and I don't know if he will decide to go pro before completing college, but if he does, the Sox might have a good chance to get him if they end up with around a number 15 pick. I saw one source that had him listed as the 8th best college player in next year's draft. If you add in the high school players, I guess he should be about a middle of the first round pick.

id love to get somebody like that. an OPS over 1000 with great speed and great in CF. that would be awesome if he dropped to where we could pick him.

If we can pick up another top tier talent and add it to our young core and add type A free agent this offseason. We would be on the short term track to getting a lot better. You have to like our chances next year just based on our starting pitching.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
I usually don't like startin threads at all (I'd rather put up good info in another thread than to start one) but this is probably thread worthy. From the near competitiveness of our mediocre team earlier in the year to now the losing amazing to think the sox are actually close to a top 10 pick for next year in the draft. Since I'm a prospect freak, it's nice to look ahead for the next Gordon Beckham or Jared Mitchell for our org. in the draft.

So far, here's where we stand in the bottom 15.. (top 10 picks, then the others)

Washington 46-86 (probably will win the Bryce Harper sweepstakes)

Kansas City 50-81

Pittsburgh 53-78

Baltimore 54-79

San Diego 57-76

Oakland 58-73

Cleveland 58-73

Toronto 59-72

Cincinnati 59-73

New York (N) 59-73 (Who'd thunk it?)

Games back of top 10

Arizona 60-72 (1 game back)

Houston 63-69 (3.5 games back)

Sox 64-69 (4.5 games back)

Milwaukee 64-67 (5.5 games back)

Cubs 66-64 (8 games back)

*Minnesota 67-65 (8 games back just to add them in here)

Some of course are tied, but were closer to a top pick than we are of first which is sad especially considering if the season ended today, the Twins could have a top 15 pick right now (Ah the good ol' sucky AL/NL Centrals).

We are currently 13th overall now which is still very high. I don't want this team losing every friggin game now, but considering some of the guys who were dealt this year that some posters here had "mad" crushes on, you can say KW and company can easily fix that specific weakness in the farm (not to mention potential comp. picks) come next season.

We went from being competitive just a little over a month ago, to potentially having a top 10 pick. (and the way were going/performing.. we could be there in no time sadly) Other than Pittsburgh, we have the second worst (worst in AL) losing streak going right now.

f*** it, I'll say it. I want this team to lose every game from here on out.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
Well, at least we won't lose a first round pick when we sign all those type A free agents this offseason.

I'd be happy with a top 15 pick just for that reason, to protect our 1st rounder in the case the club signs Figgins and loses a draft pick.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
How can you root for your team to lose? I don't understand that mentality. Draft picks or no...

Because in his mind it improves the White Sox's chances of winning in the future. I said this in '07 and I truly believe it; how could it possibly be a bad thing to root against your team if you truly believe that a loss is better for the team in the long run than a win? Win 15 of your final 30 and finish in 3rd place with a pick between 13 and 15 or win 8 of 30, finish in 3rd or 4th place and get a top 10 pick? Once you fell your team is out of it you start looking for the best case scenario and in his mind that would be a high draft pick.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
How can you root for your team to lose? I don't understand that mentality. Draft picks or no...

Lets see, your team is already out of playoff contention, you have a developing farm system but one that is still relatively thin, a GM who is very creative and doesnt hesitate to empty your farm system, and finally decent coaching and management of the farm system.

You want the best players possible entering your system so you can compete year in and year out. Unfortunately, our past farm system is coming back to haunt us as we dont have enough trading chips to replace all our aging veterans (through promotions or trades) and now we are in this position. Might as well take this opportunity of suckitude to restock the farm system more so we can compete in the upcoming years.

I dont think anybody wants us to lose per say, some just have a different outlook. They see that we arent going to make the playoffs, so whats the point in ending up .500 or better? Either you make the playoffs or you go for the best draft pick, optimizing each year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Because in his mind it improves the White Sox's chances of winning in the future. I said this in '07 and I truly believe it; how could it possibly be a bad thing to root against your team if you truly believe that a loss is better for the team in the long run than a win? Win 15 of your final 30 and finish in 3rd place with a pick between 13 and 15 or win 8 of 30, finish in 3rd or 4th place and get a top 10 pick? Once you fell your team is out of it you start looking for the best case scenario and in his mind that would be a high draft pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I won't root against the Sox because if the club wins because Hudson and other young players are playing well than thats a great thing, imo.

I agree with both statements. Because the biggest thing now the future with of the Sox, and if the young players step up and show great promise then I have no quarrels with it at all.

Plus you finish strong and it also shows you have a good team and it ensures we don't just entirely blow this thing up. Small changes are needed and I think Kenny knows that.

We should get a shot at a pretty good player picking in the top 15 anyway and I expect us to be in that spot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Plus you finish strong and it also shows you have a good team and it ensures we don't just entirely blow this thing up. Small changes are needed and I think Kenny knows that.

We should get a shot at a pretty good player picking in the top 15 anyway and I expect us to be in that spot.

If Kenny knows this team only needs minor tweaks then why would a strong finish change anything?