It's The Last One!!!!! Game Thread 9-2-09

ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, major changes have to be made to this team. Obviously the bad things are magnified right now with them playing so bad, but it's time to get away from the "let's wait for the home run" attitude. This team needs to jettison the old slowness and get down to speed and manufacturing runs.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
Yeah, major changes have to be made to this team. Obviously the bad things are magnified right now with them playing so bad, but it's time to get away from the "let's wait for the home run" attitude. This team needs to jettison the old slowness and get down to speed and manufacturing runs.

The let's wait for the HR attitude worked fine when we were 1-2 in HRs. Now that our HRs are way down it's not so fun anymore.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)

Yes, because if our chances have been helped by anything this year it's been by bunting and having Pods get picked off trying to steal a base.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)

If the Sox go to a team that relies on "manufacturing" runs in the AL and with 81 games in the Cell they'll lose and be a terrible team.

Don't get me wrong, this team has, and seems to be, getting more athletic with a little more speed, but with the league and home ball park they still need to put some focus on power.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Yes, because if our chances have been helped by anything this year it's been by bunting and having Pods get picked off trying to steal a base.

T-Bolt, I don't mean to make an example of you, but you just happen to be the latest one to make a remark like this, so I want to just point something out.

There is a position in the middle of these two extremes. Just by going away from the "softball-type hitting, wait for the three-run homer approach" does not mean you go to the "smallball/smartball/ozzieball method of throwing away outs by attempting only to move runners over by sacrificing all the time. There IS a happy medium. And real baseball teams actually play within that medium.

Again, this is not directed at you, Thunderbolt, but there is a chasm that exists on Soxtalk between those that will present extreme value of the home run and the OBP and all that, and those that champion the manufacturing of runs through stealing bases, sacrificing, etc. Just because a poster does not advocate one of these positions does not mean he, by default, advocates the opposite extreme.

What we are going for here is something in the middle. I think most of us realize that.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
If the Sox go to a team that relies on "manufacturing" runs in the AL and with 81 games in the Cell they'll lose and be a terrible team.

Don't get me wrong, this team has, and seems to be, getting more athletic with a little more speed, but with the league and home ball park they still need to put some focus on power.

I think most people go to polar opposites when they talk about lineup construction. The reaction to our issues with offense is that we need to abandon power hitters completely. its really about a balanced lineup. You need a power core in the middle of the lineup to provide high OBP, power, and the ability to drive in runs wrapped around with more pure hitters. Guys who can make solid contact, don't strike out and can hit doubles are the pure hitters that can augment your lineup. Having 9 guys who swing for the fences is dumb, as is having 9 singles hitters.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Podsednik dh

Beckham 3b

Konerko 1b

Dye rf

Quentin lf

Ramirez ss

Rios cf

Nix 2b

Castro c

come on Oz, you're 7 back and in third place. Why not throw out a lineup like..

1. Pods-LF

2. Beckham- SS

3. Quentin- RF

4. Konerko- 1B

5. Dye- DH

6. Ramirez- 2B

7. Rios- CF

8. Flowers- C

9. Fields- 3B

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
I don't think with the Sox Park that you really need so called HR hitters anyway. Its easy to hit em out that you could have more line drive hitters and still be able to knock em out. The softball team s*** hasn't worked and won't work.

Worked just fine in 2005. And worked in 2006 from an offensive standpoint, it was just too bad the pitching staff sucked. Softball team s*** got us to the playoffs last year.