It's The Last One!!!!! Game Thread 9-2-09

ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
There is a difference in a straight steal and a hit and run. The hit and run you are looking into the batter as he is suppossed to swing and the runner is to pick the ball up. There is also the late break to not get picked off on.

Baseball 101

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
They oughts shut Buerhle down for the rest of the year although not getting a win after the perfect game would not be a nice start to the offseason.

shut him down because he's lazy in the off season and doesn't work out, which leads to fatigue in the second half? Just my speculation...

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
No, it's about right and wrong. Podsednik got hung out to dry. You run tenitivily to protect yourself. When Podsednik takes off, and Beckham makes contact, a baserunner is going to pick up the ball, see where it goes. You don't just put your head down and run. If Beckham hits a lazy pop up to LF in that situation, if Podsednik has his head up, he can make it back to first, no damage done. In your situation, he is just going to bust his ass to 2nd, no idea where the ball is, and eventually be thrown out trying to get back to first.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with this either. Podsednik should have been running a bit harder. If a ball is hit to LF, he is going to get back to first regardless of whether he is running tentatively or not. Also, Podsednik should be a bit more advanced in terms of base stealing and hitting and running than your average player. There is not a huge difference between Scott just going on his own and Scott going on a hit and run. Would anyone have been surprised had he gone on his own there?

The problem comes in when the runner gets no jump on the hit and run. He actually got a negative jump, as he was headed back to first base on first move. He then ran only because he felt obligated to because of the sign. So it was a combination of two bad things happening at once - Gordon sees Scottie break back to 1st, then doesn't swing (not sure if it was because of what Scottie did or because he just missed the sign), then Scottie runs because he saw the sign and feels obligated to run despite the horrible jump.

Bottom line, it was just botched all-around.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Well, I don't necessarily agree with this either. Podsednik should have been running a bit harder. If a ball is hit to LF, he is going to get back to first regardless of whether he is running tentatively or not. Also, Podsednik should be a bit more advanced in terms of base stealing and hitting and running than your average player. There is not a huge difference between Scott just going on his own and Scott going on a hit and run. Would anyone have been surprised had he gone on his own there?

The problem comes in when the runner gets no jump on the hit and run. He actually got a negative jump, as he was headed back to first base on first move. He then ran only because he felt obligated to because of the jump. So it was a combination of two bad things happening at once - Gordon sees Scottie break back to 1st, then doesn't swing (not sure if it was because of what Scottie did or because he just missed the sign), then Scottie runs because he saw the sign and feels obligated to run despite the horrible jump.

Bottom line, it was just botched all-around.

Not gonna defend Pods overall baserunning ability, but it's a lefty with limited experience. There might not be too much video of his pickoff move. And being a hit and run he prolly just wanted to play it safe and not get picked off.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
They oughts shut Buerhle down for the rest of the year although not getting a win after the perfect game would not be a nice start to the offseason.

Three hits allowed in two innings shows me he isn't sharp yet, but the guy always seems to find a way to get that GIDP. He is such a battler. Only hope he doesn't hang one of those pitches and gets hammered for a homer. The sox don't seem to have any offense anymore.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Okay, i give people. I misread the play. Just went back and checked and Pods had a good read and Beckham kind hung him out their.

Props to you young man,everyone makes mistakes,not everyone will admit when they are wrong

Wow,Rios kinda sucks

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
shut him down because he's lazy in the off season and doesn't work out, which leads to fatigue in the second half? Just my speculation...

It is possibe but I think the perfect game and getting Peavy who makes more money could be the issue as well. Maybe Buerhle and Dye are not as passive and easy going as we think. Buehrle was a good reason this year, 2006 and 2003 did not end on a higher note.