2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
This goes to show you that you can't necessarily put stock in the rumors and expectations. It was believed that Madrid would be eliminated early, partly because the Barcelona games weren't too long ago.

See, that never made sense to me. The US has had the games twice since then. We've had them since Japan had Nagano. But everyone kept saying "they had them too recently!"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Chicago wont make another bid is my guess, it was a 1 time opportunity.

My guess is LA or NY win the 2020 games.

According to wikipedia the US cities with an early expressed interest are Bsoton, Detroit, Pittsburgh (really?), Birmingham, Denver and Minneapolis

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Chicago wont make another bid is my guess, it was a 1 time opportunity.

My guess is LA or NY win the 2020 games.

After this, I'd be shocked if any American city tries any time soon. NY just got beat badly for 2012, and now Chicago, despite the President being there, finished 4th. That's not a good sign.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
According to wikipedia the US cities with an early expressed interest are Bsoton, Detroit, Pittsburgh (really?), Birmingham, Denver and Minneapolis

Pittsburgh has been on the rebound lately.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I hope the US sponsors pull all of their money.

Screw the Olympics.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Nah IOC has to give the US games if they want the US sponsor money.

Do you really think that all of the US sponsors are going to continue to fund the Olympics if we arent getting games?

The answer is no.

Two really good posts. Chicago losing in the first round totally kills my interest in the Olympics. I hope Rio gets it and looks like s*** in the process. Yeah, I am bitter right now, but there is no good reason for Chicago's bid to be lesser than Madrid and Tokyo. F the IOC. They are a bunch of corrupt old men.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Nah IOC has to give the US games if they want the US sponsor money.

Do you really think that all of the US sponsors are going to continue to fund the Olympics if we arent getting games?

The answer is no.

The answer is yes. The Olympics are a made for tv event, and despite the drastic time difference, the Bejing, China Olympics were one of the most viewed events in U.S. television history. That sponsorship money proved to be very well spent.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/h...s-ratings_N.htm

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

By 2018/2020, it's going to have been 16-18 years since either olympics was last on U.S./North American soil. They're going to have covered every continent except Africa, assuming Rio gets it, and hit some of them more than once. That's got to give an advantage to North America for those.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Which Daley will be mayor then?

A different one. Daley was holding on strong for the Olympics. Despite the anti-Olympic sentiment, there was a tonnnnnnnnnnn of support for it. A nice percentage of those people don't like Daley, but believed this was a great idea. Everyone's going to see Daley come up with a reason to raise the price of living here and state it's for infrastructure, but alot of people now understand, it's not for that.