Random Pointless Thought

Brian

Put in my Sox Pride DVD...Gosh darn it, I miss John Rooney calling our games.

Everyone knows I am NOT fond of Ed Farmer as play by play guy.

His call of Pods Game 2 homer will always be my personal favorite radio call of all time. Get goose bumps everytime I hear it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)

His call of Pods Game 2 homer will always be my personal favorite radio call of all time. Get goose bumps everytime I hear it.

I've never heard that call. You have a link to it by chance?

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)

Rooney is my all time favorite announcer. Sometimes he would embellish a routine play but his ability to paint the picture and bring the game to you is unmatched by any on TV or radio in this day and age. IMO Farmer was tolerable as color man but atrocious calling a whole game.

With that said, here is another random thought, I think DJ is an entirely different man on radio. He seems to be far more relaxed and willing to say it like it is on the radio. He still tells his deliberately corny jokes and does his goofy singing but overall, I can say I like hi as a radio color commentator. I think it will be huge for his announcing career to be free of Hawk and his press box-sized ego.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 03:23 AM)
I would trade anyone in either of the booths - including Steve Stone - to have John Rooney back. Man I miss that guy. Reinsdorf should have paid that guy...

I believe that was due to the score but I may be wrong.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 03:24 AM)
I believe that was due to the score but I may be wrong.

Rooney is from Missouri and and huge Cardinal fan. After winning the series with the Sox here in Chicago and a position opening up with the Cards I really don't think Jerry could have done anything to keep him. It was an amazin 14 years with him and Farmio on the radio, they were without a doubt the best. Rooney played a great "straight man" to Farmer, their chemistry was real. You can still catch Rooney on the ESPN radio game of the week either Sat. or Sundays.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
You know what's sad? None of my cardinal friend fans like him, like, at all. And they have this weird obsession with MIke Shannon, who I think sucks. Now, granted we have better taste, but why would it be that off?

I have relatives who live in St. Louis and they say the same thing. I tell them they are crazy. Shannon is ok. He is the resident homer and can be funny at times.

Rooney is gone cuz the Score didn't want to give him a pay raise. The Cardinals MADE room for Rooney by letting Ricky Horton go. Smart move by Cards. I love listening to Rooney and Shannon when I can.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
I have relatives who live in St. Louis and they say the same thing. I tell them they are crazy. Shannon is ok. He is the resident homer and can be funny at times.

Rooney is gone cuz the Score didn't want to give him a pay raise. The Cardinals MADE room for Rooney by letting Ricky Horton go. Smart move by Cards. I love listening to Rooney and Shannon when I can.

you know what, I think it's because the weird obsession cards fans have in general for all things st. louis. Shannon, the mizzou grad came up with the cardinals. But these people don't leave st. louis and can't comprehend anything other than their city, and can only converse about what private high school they went to and the cardinals. And to them, Rooney seemed like an outsider because he came from another team.

People from St. Louis are really f***in weird.

you know what, I think it's because the weird obsession cards fans have in general for all things st. louis. Shannon, the mizzou grad came up with the cardinals. But these people don't leave st. louis and can't comprehend anything other than their city, and can only converse about what private high school they went to and the cardinals. And to them, Rooney seemed like an outsider because he came from another team.

People from St. Louis are really f***in weird.

they also call the game bags "corn hole".

nothin' like some good corn hole i guess...

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
I think it would be great if Rooney replaced Hawk. Rooney and Stone would be an awesome combo.

Nooooo...

I love Hawk and I love Rooney. You can keep Stone - for some reason I just don't like the guy as much. Maybe because he was a long time Cubs announcer. I think he's the next Cub GM anyway.

Edited by Chet Kincaid