Will KW continue to remake us into a speedier team?

caulfield12

When I was listening to the game today, Farmer and DJ brought up the fact that Pods, Getz and Rios all have 20+ steals.

I know there's a Sox historian who has the answer, but I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened since the early to mid 90's team with Ray Durham and Lance Johnson leading the way.

If you throw in Ramirez (15-25 bags per year, possibly), Beckham (10-20), Nix (10/10 this year so far, you'd have to think 15-25 for him too) and Quentin even (although we don't want him to be stealing, he's a pretty good athlete), we have six or seven pretty athletic players for the first time in many, many years. (I know someone will point out that Anderson, Fields, Wise and Owens were also athletic, unfortunately they are/were also dubious baseball players).

Then you look into the future and you might have a Shelby, Danks or Mitchell added into the mix, that's quite a turnaround from the 2000-2006 offense. With those guys, you're not thinking more than 1 of the 3 will make it, and it's possible all three flame out, but still it's something positive to think about for our future. And there's a lot of excitement about Trayce Thompson's potential too, (of course he's 3-5 years away right now.)

And now KW has some interesting questions with Pods and Kotsay going forward (especially because Konerko will need to be rested more at 1B and also he will DH a bit). Both of those guys definitely deserve a spot on the team (I feel), but how much should KW will be willing to pay either one? Is Figgins a realistic option at 3 years and $27 million? Dare we risk that with contracts on the books for Rios and Linebrink already?

When you think of Ramirez, Beckham, Rios and Quentin all playing up to their potential offensively and defensively, you have a "youngish" group of players in their prime, then the Konerko/AJ veteran presence. Maybe Pods and Kotsay...then we're left with those nagging questions about DH, LF/RF and 3B/2B.

Let's assume KW leaves the infield set with Getz as the starter at 2B and Nix/Fields as "trade bait." This team could change in many, many ways going into 2010 or almost not at all...especially with Pods, Kotsay and Castro back.

Does KW replace Pods with an upgrade or go for the big, left-handed power hitter to replace Thome and that can rest Quentin/Konerko from time-to-time? It doesn't seem possible to do BOTH things.

Do you really believe this team has turned a corner again organizationally and the new speedier/younger/more athletic Sox will be the future "stamp/imprint" of KW??? Are you still sad Brandon Allen isn't part of that future? (Just kidding about the last one).

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want a speedier team. I just want a team with a good balance of defense and power. Granted, good defense will come with speed for the outfield positions usually. We play is US cellular. We need power hitters to win. We won with power, pitching, and defense. in 2005. I really do like the direction kenny has taken us though. We have improved our defense greatly with the Rios acquisition. We will have power hitters in the future with Flowers and Quentin. We have have a good amount of guys with decent power too (Alexei, Beckham, Rios). I hope we sign somebody like Randy Winn in the offseason to play RF or LF. With the great pitching we have, Being solid on defense will really help.

Personally, next year I would be completely 100% satisfied with a Getz vs. RHP and Nix vs. LHP platoon at 2nd. They have both shown to me to be respectable ML players. Both young, and should gain a great deal of experience together.

I feel that the team is content with Konerko at 1B until at least his contract expires. I agree with those sentiments, especially now that Jim Thome is gone. I love me some Big Jim Thome as much as anyone, but with his lack of speed gone, and as the opening poster stated the team is seemingly becoming more athletic, we can deal with PK's slowness. He's a great guy to have with the bat, he can make up for some of Alexei's lackluster throws to first with his amazing picks, and hopefully soon Alexei grows into the SS we believe he can be.

Next year, we're probably going to have to see what Tyler Flowers is made of at C. AJ is still our guy, but I think Flowers will club his way onto the roster in Spring Training. I could see a some sort of 80/20 or 75/25 platoon at C and DH with AJ and Flowers. AJ doesn't like to sit, so if he can DH on days that Flowers catches, not only would we keep him fresher, but also keep his bat active and keep him in his groove and give him the 162 games he wants to play in.

There's not much to be said about the outfield, really. Rios will be our every day CF next year, that's a huge addition of athleticism to CF we haven't seen in a long time. Quentin is an adequate outfielder, IMO, and hopefully next year he is more healthy and confident. RF, assuming Quentin doesn't move there, will need the upgrade. I'm not sure if JD will be back next year because the Flowers/AJ DH/C combo might be very intriguing to our Sox. If that's the case, we also have a chance to add some more athleticism to RF. I have no idea who. Assuming Podsednik will stay as our leadoff hitter, then we do have a speedy/athletic lineup.

C Flowers/AJ

1b Konerko

2B Getz/Nix

SS Ramirez

3B Beckham

RF Pods/Quentin

CF Rios

LF Pods/Quentin

DH Flowers/AJ/Konerko

And I think keeping Kotsay is crucial. Bench players don't necessarily need to be speedy or athletic, and Kotsay is competent enough with the stick that I think he should stick around. He spells 1b, RF and LF on any given day and is a great pinch hitter. I hated facing Kotsay as an opponent because he killed us and now I am glad he is on our side.

I don't really know about the rest of the bench. I'd like Pablo Ozuna or Juan Uribe back, to tell you the truth.

Kotsay will be back, Ozzie has told KW he wants him on next year's team. As for Podsednik, I was a bit surprised to hear KW make him available last week with the other veterans. I would think that given where we are organizationally, it would be foolish to not at least try to bring back Podsednik on a 2 year deal. I feel he has earned that much, and it keeps us from having to overreach and sign a guy like Figgins for more $ and more years than is prudent.

I think most of KW's work is done in regards to the offseason, but he does want to get a lefthanded power bat. From what we know of his work, KW will lift every stone and dip his toes in every pond, but my guess is we bring back Jim Thome on a 1/$5 million contract. Hopefully the org will look into moving Q to RF, and if Podsednik is brought back, Scottie to LF and Rios as our full-time CF. Thome can then share ab's with Konerko at DH while Kotsay spells Paulie at 1b from time to time. I would be all in favor of keeping the Nix/Getz platoon alive, keeping Fields around as a bench player (if he is willing), and using whatever resources remain to add some other arms to add to the pen. I could even live with having Wise on our bench, as he is a good defensive substitution and pinch runner.

I guess we can only wait and see though...

I just don't see how Fields has any value at all to the organization as a bench player. Insurance for injury, like Uribe for Crede?

Maybe they'll give him one shot at getting AB's at DH/1B next year, but Kotsay would seem to negate some of Fields' value in that role.

There's also trading Ramirez/Getz/Nix, putting Fields at 3B, Beckham at 2B and Ramirez at SS...or the other way around...with Nix/Getz out, but I think that has a 2% chance of happening now.

You don't see him moving to LF again...so he will have to battle Flowers and Kotsay. If he had a great ST again (like this year), you could see him as the primary DH coming out of Arizona, but the odds of that happening are also only 5-10% I'd guess.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
I just don't see how Fields has any value at all to the organization as a bench player. Insurance for injury, like Uribe for Crede?

Maybe they'll give him one shot at getting AB's at DH/1B next year, but Kotsay would seem to negate some of Fields' value in that role.

There's also trading Ramirez/Getz/Nix, putting Fields at 3B, Beckham at 2B and Ramirez at SS...or the other way around...with Nix/Getz out, but I think that has a 2% chance of happening now.

You don't see him moving to LF again...so he will have to battle Flowers and Kotsay. If he had a great ST again (like this year), you could see him as the primary DH coming out of Arizona, but the odds of that happening are also only 5-10% I'd guess.

I think we just need someone capable of playing third base to spell Beckham, but I guess Nix is capable.

As for moving Gordo, I don't think it's going to happen. I think he is now entrenched as our long-term 3b of the future now. But who knows with Kenny, for all we know, KW will trade Alexei, Hudson and Jared Mitchell next year for Adrian Gonzalez and Beckham will get moved to SS. :)

my ideal lineup for next year

dh pods

ss alexie

3b beckham

lf quentin

rf abreu

1b konerko

c aj/flowers

2b getz/nix

cf rios

bench

kotsay

nix

flowers

the only slow guys are paulie and aj in the games he plays.

id like to see flowers dh a lot when hes not catching so his development isnt stunted so we may need another bench player who can catch, just in case

this team isnt much different from our current team though basically swapping dye for abreu so i dunno if it will be enough of an improvement. hopefully the development of the young infields defensively and offensively and a healthy q will be enough to put a championship calibur offense up to support our amazing pitching rotation

It would be great if Pods was our 4th outfielder next year and PR, that would make a very nice veteran combination with Mark Kotsay off the bench.

Would be scared to death of approaching the season with him as the leadoff hitter....just too big of a risk, like starting this year with Anderson/Owens/Wise/Lillibridge.

However, as many have noted, if he is able to finagle a Willy Taveras type of two year deal (for $5-6 million) from another National League team (making the Rockies look a bit silly for giving up on him) as a starter, there's no way he would want to come back in a diminished/bench role.

Of course, a lot of this is dependent on "what if's" like Quentin's health in 2010 and what happens with Dye, Thome and the FA market for leadoff hitters and big LH bats (last offseason, the likes of Abreu and Dunn).

I cant fully support Pods at DH unless we're getting power from somewhere new, such as Blaylock or something along those lines.

It would be awful to be this talented speed team, but to lose out on the playoffs due to teams coming in and being better equipped for our park than we are.

Yeah, Pods at DH sounds awful. I'm hoping we can resign Thome or make a run and Blalock.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
I don't really want a speedier team. I just want a team with a good balance of defense and power. Granted, good defense will come with speed for the outfield positions usually. We play is US cellular. We need power hitters to win. We won with power, pitching, and defense. in 2005. I really do like the direction kenny has taken us though. We have improved our defense greatly with the Rios acquisition. We will have power hitters in the future with Flowers and Quentin. We have have a good amount of guys with decent power too (Alexei, Beckham, Rios). I hope we sign somebody like Randy Winn in the offseason to play RF or LF. With the great pitching we have, Being solid on defense will really help.

How many speedy, plus defender, powerhitting outfielders are there?

What's interesting to me is that if the Sox were able to resign Thome and Pods to be the DH and back-up outfielder (which I would think is quite possible) and somehow manage to make the splashy Figgins signing, you could then be looking at a team capable of stealing between 150-175 bases while also clubbing 175-200 homeruns. Consider:

Figgins - 5 HR, 45 SB

Ramirez - 20-25 HR, 20 SB

Beckham - 20-25 HR, 15-20 SB

Quentin - 30-35 HR

Thome - 25-30 HR

Konerko - 25-30 HR

Pierzynski - 10-15 HR

Rios - 20-25 HR, 30-35 SB

Getz - 5 HR, 30-35 SB

You add in expected contributions from the bench (Nix, Kotsay, Flowers, Pods) and I think you get to those ranges of output I noted above. More importantly, though, this would represent a very balanced attack, both from the right side of the plate as well as the left, and one that could beat you on almost any given day with either speed, power, or a vicious combination of both.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
What's interesting to me is that if the Sox were able to resign Thome and Pods to be the DH and back-up outfielder (which I would think is quite possible) and somehow manage to make the splashy Figgins signing, you could then be looking at a team capable of stealing between 150-175 bases while also clubbing 175-200 homeruns. Consider:

Figgins - 5 HR, 45 SB

Ramirez - 20-25 HR, 20 SB

Beckham - 20-25 HR, 15-20 SB

Quentin - 30-35 HR

Thome - 25-30 HR

Konerko - 25-30 HR

Pierzynski - 10-15 HR

Rios - 20-25 HR, 30-35 SB

Getz - 5 HR, 30-35 SB

You add in expected contributions from the bench (Nix, Kotsay, Flowers, Pods) and I think you get to those ranges of output I noted above. More importantly, though, this would represent a very balanced attack, both from the right side of the plate as well as the left, and one that could beat you on almost any given day with either speed, power, or a vicious combination of both.

Somehow I doubt KW signs Thome, Pods, and Figgins. And I can't help but to think that if we re-sign Pods that Ozzie will be throwing him in the OF way more than he should be out there.

If we can somehow come up with a viable trade package I'd love to get Crawford over here and just forget about Pods and Figgins all together.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
Somehow I doubt KW signs Thome, Pods, and Figgins. And I can't help but to think that if we re-sign Pods that Ozzie will be throwing him in the OF way more than he should be out there.

If we can somehow come up with a viable trade package I'd love to get Crawford over here and just forget about Pods and Figgins all together.

Well sure, I would love to have Carl Crawford on the team - who wouldn't. But the operative phrase here is "viable trade package", and in the case of Carl Crawford, we would have to surrender some very good talent somewhere on the Major League roster as well as some of our better prospects to meet what Tampa would consider "viable". Meanwhile, under my scenario, you sign Thome and Pods which, as I mentioned, is probably not only fairly easy to do and affordable, but you don't give up any talent in the process. And if you can manage to sign Figgins, all you are giving up is a second round draft pick, given where the Sox are in the standings these days. I'm not saying that signing Figgins will be easy, just that if they did sign him, along with Big Jim and Pods, the team would then have a very solid and formidable configuration.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
Well sure, I would love to have Carl Crawford on the team - who wouldn't. But the operative phrase here is "viable trade package", and in the case of Carl Crawford, we would have to surrender some very good talent somewhere on the Major League roster as well as some of our better prospects to meet what Tampa would consider "viable". Meanwhile, under my scenario, you sign Thome and Pods which, as I mentioned, is probably not only fairly easy to do and affordable, but you don't give up any talent in the process. And if you can manage to sign Figgins, all you are giving up is a second round draft pick, given where the Sox are in the standings these days. I'm not saying that signing Figgins will be easy, just that if they did sign him, along with Big Jim and Pods, the team would then have a very solid and formidable configuration.

Your scenario might play out but I for one will not be happy bringing back both Thome and Pods and overpaying for an aging Figgins who's production will start decreasing, at least speed-wise.

If Figgins and Pods are here I just know Ozzie will play the OF rotation game. I would hate to see Pods out there again. DH and pinch runner? Yes. Outfielder? Hell no.

Edited by BigSqwert

I think Pods has at least earned the right to come back next season as a 4th OF, and both parties will want to get a deal done, partly because they both need each other.

The Sox need Pods' ability to get on base at a good percentage in the leadoff spot, while Pods hasn't had much success elsewhere in the MLB.

I think the Sox will look to sign a more athletic RF in the off-season, to replace Dye however, basically a younger version of Bobby Abreu for instance, although off the top of my head I dunno who'll be out there in FA.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)

Crawford would be ideal, but would cost a lot. Look at what they got for Delmon Young.

You were the one asking for this dream player... I am trying to figure out who these guys are you are talking about.

Uh, no I wasn't. You just misread what I wrote. I said I want a balance of power and defense on the team, and with good defense in the outfield usually comes some speedy players. I never said I want a speedy power hitter that plays good defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Crawford would be ideal, but would cost a lot. Look at what they got for Delmon Young.

To get Crawford, it will take Hudson and plenty more after that. Whether the team is willing to sacrifice that is something that remains to be seen. Williams has supposedly gone after Crawford in the past, but that may have just been speculation by reporters and the members on here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
it truly is amazing that people want to bring Podsednik back. and to DH no less!

Why is it amazing to you? Pods has value on this team and has been the leadoff hitter we needed. He is hitting over .300 and has over 20 steasl and hasn't played the whole year with us. We most certainly could do alot worse or pay a lot more money for someone different.