The Bizarre White Sox

greg775

From tonight's A's debacle story on the AP:

After taking consecutive series from the Yankees and Angels earlier this summer, the White Sox promptly lost two of three to Cleveland. They are 15-17 against the league’s three last-place teams — Oakland, Baltimore and Kansas City.

“That’s White Sox 2009,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “If you want to compete in any season, you beat the crap out of teams with a losing record and you fight against the other ones. We do totally opposite of what we should do.”

What is your take on Oz's comment??

Good news on Peavy as well.

NOTES: If White Sox RHP Jake Peavy has an effective, pain-free throwing session Wednesday, he could start as soon as this weekend, pitching coach Don Cooper said. Peavy, acquired from San Diego at the trading deadline, has been on the DL since June 13 with an ankle injury. He was just rounding into shape when he was struck on the right elbow by a line drive Aug. 29 in his fourth rehab start. ... Suzuki is batting .320 on the road vs. .220 at home. ... White Sox 3B Gordon Beckham missed his third straight game with a sore side and Guillen said he expected to rest the rookie Wednesday, too.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
From tonight's A's debacle story on the AP:

After taking consecutive series from the Yankees and Angels earlier this summer, the White Sox promptly lost two of three to Cleveland. They are 15-17 against the league’s three last-place teams — Oakland, Baltimore and Kansas City.

“That’s White Sox 2009,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “If you want to compete in any season, you beat the crap out of teams with a losing record and you fight against the other ones. We do totally opposite of what we should do.”

What is your take on Oz's comment??

Good news on Peavy as well.

NOTES: If White Sox RHP Jake Peavy has an effective, pain-free throwing session Wednesday, he could start as soon as this weekend, pitching coach Don Cooper said. Peavy, acquired from San Diego at the trading deadline, has been on the DL since June 13 with an ankle injury. He was just rounding into shape when he was struck on the right elbow by a line drive Aug. 29 in his fourth rehab start. ... Suzuki is batting .320 on the road vs. .220 at home. ... White Sox 3B Gordon Beckham missed his third straight game with a sore side and Guillen said he expected to rest the rookie Wednesday, too.

Good News. If he's pain free today. I'm guessing he will start tuesday vs Seattle. But who knows with all of these set backs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
He's right. What else can you say?

Not much really. We are what we are.

And unfortunately, it's really not all that good, although I think the main pieces are in place, but a little more tweaking is needed.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Not much really. We are what we are.

And unfortunately, it's really not all that good, although I think the main pieces are in place, but a little more tweaking is needed.

It will be an interesting off season. I really can't wait to hear what the issues behind the scenes were. There really seems like a reason things didn't come together this year, but I am not quite sure what it is. Something like hidden injuries or chemistry seems the most likely.

2 games under .500 against OAKLAND

I think we're a combined .500 against KC, CLE and Baltimore.

DET has really played so much better, especially that TB series. They definitely deserve the division...everyone was saying they'd finish with 84-85-86 victories, but they're on pace for 87 or 88 probably, about like our team last year.

Actually, with the front end of their rotation, they're probably more dangerous in the playoffs than we were, for sure.

But that offense will really struggle to score runs...however, they're able to comeback and also win in the late innings, something we've failed to do consistently this year, so we'll see what happens in the playoffs.

The Twins are definitely a bigger disappointment than the White Sox, especially considering it was their last year in DOME-LAND to use that to their advantage before they have to adjust to a new park like the rest of the league.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
2 games under .500 against OAKLAND

I think we're a combined .500 against KC, CLE and Baltimore.

DET has really played so much better, especially that TB series. They definitely deserve the division...everyone was saying they'd finish with 84-85-86 victories, but they're on pace for 87 or 88 probably, about like our team last year.

Actually, with the front end of their rotation, they're probably more dangerous in the playoffs than we were, for sure.

But that offense will really struggle to score runs...however, they're able to comeback and also win in the late innings, something we've failed to do consistently this year, so we'll see what happens in the playoffs.

The Twins are definitely a bigger disappointment than the White Sox, especially considering it was their last year in DOME-LAND to use that to their advantage before they have to adjust to a new park like the rest of the league.

With all of the injuries Minnesota had, I wouldn't call them a disappointment. To me the Mets fall into the same category.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)

You know, except that season-killing road-trip where we got our asses handed to us by the "other ones".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
It will be an interesting off season. I really can't wait to hear what the issues behind the scenes were. There really seems like a reason things didn't come together this year, but I am not quite sure what it is. Something like hidden injuries or chemistry seems the most likely.

More likely underperformance especially by the bullpen and failure to execute properly with men on base.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
The latter point is just maddening to watch.

Scary thing though...we have the #10 batting average with RISP in the big leagues. #18 OPS with RISP. Our numbers aren't that terrible with RISP. But we're 21st in MLB in at bats with RISP. We're not spectacular getting them home, but not terrible, but we also don't get a lot of runners in to scoring position either.