We now control our own destiny

GoodAsGould

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread served as bad luck. We've dropped another game to them in the loss column since it was started and they haven't lost since it was started.

I'm still trying to figure out how one season can go down the drain on one roadtrip. I hope we have no obvious losing roadtrips like that 10 gamer next year. It was patently unfair. No team in the Central is going to win at NY and boston that time of year and making us go to Minnie added insult to injury.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
This thread served as bad luck. We've dropped another game to them in the loss column since it was started and they haven't lost since it was started.

I'm still trying to figure out how one season can go down the drain on one roadtrip. I hope we have no obvious losing roadtrips like that 10 gamer next year. It was patently unfair. No team in the Central is going to win at NY and boston that time of year and making us go to Minnie added insult to injury.

That road trip was BS, especially considering the time of the season. But, even though it was an unfair road trip, the Sox totally tripped over their own feet and gave away some games. It should have been a 5-5 road trip.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)

Its all the threads fault. :bang

Stars aligning?????

Sox missed Weaver, Lackey and King....Detroit was given a gift by Toronto as they needed to push back Halladay to face the Yankees for no reason, jagoffs......Grienke pitches Thursday against Detroit and the Sox miss him.......Peavy is back........

There is hope in cubville as they think they can take down the Cards and Giants, are behind 3 teams and 5.5 out.

These next two games are wher the hope rests.....

Why do they keep doing this to me?

If we can gain 1 more to be at 4.5 back at the end of this series (and road trip), I'll feel like we have a real chance at this thing. Because even though KC is hot, we're playing them at home, while DET has to play in the Twinkie Dome. That makes me feel good about gaining some ground over the weekend too, in which case we could go into the first DET series at maybe 3.5 back.

Eh, I'm probably just dreaming.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
KC is playing really good ball right now. I wouldn't be suprised if they win a couple more vs Detroit. That being said, we really need to take these next 2 vs Seattle.

The Sox pitching can win them the next 17 games.

If this team especially two of Dye, Rios or Quentin, hit at all, the Sox will win this division.

I know I am just a small town girl living in a lonely world looking to get on a midnight train going anywhere but what the hell.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
KC is playing really good ball right now. I wouldn't be suprised if they win a couple more vs Detroit. That being said, we really need to take these next 2 vs Seattle.

I prefer to think of it as a differential. We have 2 more with SEA, and DET has 2 more with KC. Gaining one game would be good - that could be the Sox going 2-0 and DET going 1-1, or the Sox going 1-1 and DET going 0-2. Either one works. Meantime, we need to hope MIN can lose a few as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
I prefer to think of it as a differential. We have 2 more with SEA, and DET has 2 more with KC. Gaining one game would be good - that could be the Sox going 2-0 and DET going 1-1, or the Sox going 1-1 and DET going 0-2. Either one works. Meantime, we need to hope MIN can lose a few as well.

I want Min to stay in it, they have 7 against Det.

The Tigers play Cleveland 3 times and Royals 2 times other than that, it is Twins 7 times Sox 6.......they have a game in hand.

The Sox play Cleveland 3, Royals, 3, Tigers 6, Twins 3, Seattle 2

The Twins play Royals 6, Sox 3, Tigers 7, Cleveland 1

The team that gets hot wins the division......again if the Sox hit they will win as their rotation is pitching better than the others.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
The Sox pitching can win them the next 17 games.

If this team especially two of Dye, Rios or Quentin, hit at all, the Sox will win this division.

I know I am just a small town girl living in a lonely world looking to get on a midnight train going anywhere but what the hell.

Saw an interesting stat during the Rangers game last night. Apparently we have the 2nd lowest team ERA in the AL. Didn't realize that. Kinda pathetic to think that our record is what it is despite that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Saw an interesting stat during the Rangers game last night. Apparently we have the 2nd lowest team ERA in the AL. Didn't realize that. Kinda pathetic to think that our record is what it is despite that.

And our average w/ RISP is middle of the pack, and the overall average, SLG and runs scored are also near middle. Amazingly similar to 2005 that way. So you'd think our offense would be better.

IMO, the three huge factors in the balance here, which are often not looked at, are defense (which we all know is bad), hitting w/ RISP (not AVG mind you, but also PRODUCTIVE outs that we NEVER seem to get), and finally, the team's mental approach (the team seems to get way too tight when the game is on the line, and play accordingly).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)

The unearned runs have been a big factor in our demise this season. Last I knew we were at the top of the league in errors and unearned runs.

If we win the division it'd be arguably the biggest choke job by Detroit in modern baseball history.

We still have shown no signs of sustaining anything.

It's all on Detroit. Detroit would have to totally piss it away and completely choke by losing five of six against us or all six.

We had our chances this season ... this ain't gonna happen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
If we win the division it'd be arguably the biggest choke job by Detroit in modern baseball history.

It's all on Detroit. Detroit would have to totally piss it away and completely choke by losing five of six against us or all six.

I just can't see our offense magically coming alive for the next 17 games, but stranger things have happened I guess. Realistically we will need to take the 6 games against Detroit and also sweep the Twins to make it happen.

Tough sledding for sure.

What is going to be this years "Rally Crede" or "Dweezy"??? Let's get it started now!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)

A big choke, yes, but the '07 Mets set the bar pretty high, or low, as it were.

If Detroit loses tonight, they have to beat Greinke tomorrow to avoid a 2nd sweep by the Royals. At that point, they'll be pretty tight, if they aren't already.

Unlikely, but still a glimmer of hope.

Found this cool website that shows how tough it would be to take the division now, we have to go 13-3 just to have a 50-50 chance of winning it

If we finish: % chance of playoffs

16-0 99.7%

15-1 95.4%

14-2 79.1%

13-3 49.5%

12-4 18.1%

11-5 2.8%

10-6 0.1%

9-7 or worse 0

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/MLB/America...l/WhiteSox.html

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
Found this cool website that shows how tough it would be to take the division now, we have to go 13-3 just to have a 50-50 chance of winning it

If we finish: % chance of playoffs

16-0 99.7%

15-1 95.4%

14-2 79.1%

13-3 49.5%

12-4 18.1%

11-5 2.8%

10-6 0.1%

9-7 or worse 0

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/MLB/America...l/WhiteSox.html

If the Sox learn to hit they will win the division.