'05 World Series TV ratings

Princess Dye

Even though we right away kept hearing that the '05 series ratings were record lows.... looking back, we're the highest ranked Series in the post-steroid era. (EDIT: Post-steroid-naivete, i should say)

Right about 2005, people nationwide were just extremely sick of this sport. In a way, I have to admit I kind of like it. I'd rather have the diehards than all those casual fans creeping in when its fashionable. Kind of related to how basketball fandom has changed post-Jordan era. A great telecast like NBA on TNT is possible because basketball now is more of a niche sport. It doesnt have to have mass appeal to dumbasses.

I love arguing with knowledgeable Cubs fans. When I'm confronted with a vitriolic Cub fan who doesnt know baseball, it's borrowing Betamax tapes. Pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

Edited by Princess Dye

Also I'll add two more things:

1) I'm aware these rankings probably dont control for all kinds of other factors I'm not taking into consideration (changes in how Americans spend their entertainment dollar)

2) TV ratings arent the end all be all--no this isnt a major topic. But Cubs fans gripped onto this fact in Nov 2005 as their one source of happiness. And also your team's popularity correlates to what yr owner wants to spend on the roster. Usually.

It's kinda interesting how World Series viewership has dropped dramatically since the 80's, beyond that I could care less how few people may have cared to watch the White Sox in the World Series. I didn't miss one pitch and that's all I care about. Watching that series was truly one of the highlights of my life.

I must admit I have watched very little of any other World Series in the last 25 or so years. I just don't care all that much any more (if it ain't the White Sox).

I couldn't care less if we aren't a popular team,if I wanted to root for a team based soley on popularity,I woulda been a Yanks fan long ago...

I couldn't give a flying f*** if the Cubs are more popular,I would've shot myself long ago after all these years of futility,they haven't even won a game the last 2 playoffs series even though they were heavily favored :D

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
I couldn't care less if we aren't a popular team,if I wanted to root for a team based soley on popularity,I woulda been a Yanks fan long ago...

I couldn't give a flying f*** if the Cubs are more popular,I would've shot myself long ago after all these years of futility,they haven't even won a game the last 2 playoffs series even though they were heavily favored :D

In theory, I agree. But in reality, more Sox fans means more $ going towards our payroll.

These things go in cycles. If the Cubs are ready for a new several-years lull in onfield play, it could open the doors for the Sox to take a chunk of that market from them. We have their former (well-liked) announcer, a young team, respected starting pitchers, an entertaining mgr, Obama.....

It may not seem like it to us, but these last years of piling up wins will have an effect on what we can do in the future. Kids are growing up right now only knowing the Sox as the Chicago team that wins/has won. Soon they'll spend money and bring their own kids to games, etc.

Edited by Princess Dye