Sports teams who have "offensive" nicknames

How do you feel about these lawsuits?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about these lawsuits?

• They're fine. People are too hyper PC/Sensitive.
    • They are slightly offensive, but I don't think they need to be changed.
    • These groups might have a point, but I don't care either way.
    • They need to be changed, the use of those types of names/symbols are degrading.
    • Who cares?
  2. 2. If courts rule that changes need to be made, how would you feel?

• Angry/Sad. It'd be a shame that storied franchises would have to re-brand themselves.
    • Happy. It was the right thing to do.
    • Don't care.

American Indians look to Supreme Court

So the old issue of Native Americans suing the Redskins for an offensive name is back in the news again. Many teams have names that some groups (mostly Native Americans) find offensive. Redskins, Seminoles, Red Hawks, Chiefs, Indians, Fighting Sioux, Fighting Irish, etc...

IIRC, North Dakota has actually already changed their name b/c of such a suit. Also, Cleveland has been using their famous Indian logo less and less in recent years.

So I ask, what do you feel about professional/college teams using such nicknames/logos/mascots?

If a school with the nickname Red Hawks changed their mascot to a actual red Hawk, would it still be considered offensive to this group?

And I could care less about the Fighting Irish. I am irish and I think the mascot/logo is fine

Edited by KyYlE23

As someone who is 6'5", I have always been put off by the insensitivity of the New York football and San Francisco baseball teams. My "friend" who suffers from premature ejaculation is constantly humiliated when confronted with a reference to the UMass "Minutemen." I have a pacifist Irish brother-in-law who is offended both by the Boston NBA franchise and the University of Notre Dame.

Today, everything is offensive to somebody. That said, and as someone who defended Chief Illiniwek and thinks the Blackhawks logo is the absolute best in sports, I'll agree that "Redskins" and Cleveland's Chief Wahoo are too extreme and should go.

I am the most anti-PC person out there, and I make fun of every race, every religion, blah blah blah.

BUT the difference is that it's just me, a private citizen, who is doing it. And it's up to me if i think the situation warrants that kind of flippancy or not. But with a nationally recognized organization, i think they have a responsibility to be more sensitive. Come on, can you imagine the Louisiana Blackies? How quickly would s*** hit the fan on that one? So how is Redskins or Chief Wahoo (chief WAHOO for god's sake) any better? I've got an issue with those ones.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
I dont think it is the courts place.

If people are that upset by it, they will stop buying the product or let it be known.

it's the court's place to end discrimination and racism as it is... illegal...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
I dont think it is the courts place.

If people are that upset by it, they will stop buying the product or let it be known.

The reason why this is the court's place is that our system is founded on the idea of majority rule...but with minority rights that can't be trampled just because the majority wants to.

If I wanted to name a team the "Homo-bashers" or something like that, then I might never get a homosexual to come to one of my games. But that's just a minority. If I lose 25% of the country, I can still market to 75%. That doesn't mean that the other 25% should just shut up and take it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
The reason why this is the court's place is that our system is founded on the idea of majority rule...but with minority rights that can't be trampled just because the majority wants to.

If I wanted to name a team the "Homo-bashers" or something like that, then I might never get a homosexual to come to one of my games. But that's just a minority. If I lose 25% of the country, I can still market to 75%. That doesn't mean that the other 25% should just shut up and take it.

I guess I don't agree with either statement here. The minority certainly rules this country. Not putting my own opinions here, but the majority are happy and fine with their healthcare, but the minority wants to change it. The majority are against gay marriage, but the minority wants it. The majority of people don't want to spend trillions on defeating global warming, but the minority wants it, the majority of people are religious and don't care that religion is a public thing, but the minority doesn't want it, etc.

And at this point I believe that a team like "home-bashers" would never fly because the majority of people think its offensive and unprofessional, despite their view on homosexuality in general.

Edit: And really the Court shouldn't be in the business of this anyway. I mean, the Constitution was aimed at Federal and State actions, not private actions. If a franchise wants to be the homo-bashers, they should be able to. But now that these organizations have gotten so big, at some point, they've been linked to state/federal action.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Edit: And really the Court shouldn't be in the business of this anyway. I mean, the Constitution was aimed at Federal and State actions, not private actions. If a franchise wants to be the homo-bashers, they should be able to. But now that these organizations have gotten so big, at some point, they've been linked to state/federal action.

hmm i always thought sports teams got funding from the city and state to build their stadiums!

Being over 90% Scandinavian, I would like the Minnesota Vikings to change their name. It gives us Scandinavian descendants a bad wrap. People picture us as being fat and hairy just like the Vikings fans who dress up at the game.

Even though I'm mostly Scandinavian, I have a small portion of Native American in me (1/32). I want to do more research on this topic. I'm sure some people here know a lot, it is a very interesting topic. We don't see Yankees or Rangers or Cowboys or Steelers or Packers getting upset, but then again those are also American people or industries and people take those names with American pride whereas the Native Americans don't feel the same why and won't take their name use with pride.

As a Chiefs fan, they could probably keep their name, there are Police Chiefs and Fire Chiefs just to name a few. But the logo name Arrowhead Stadium might have to go.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
And at this point I believe that a team like "homo-bashers" would never fly because the majority of people think its offensive and unprofessional, despite their view on homosexuality in general.

They already have a team. The Packers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
If they ever try to change the Blackhawks I'll kill someone. It's meant to honor him.

Actually, they were named after the Black Hawk military division of WW I. The division was named after the Chief. Of course, the Chief murdered hundreds of early Illinois and Iowa settlers, so yeah, let's honor him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
WERE TRYING TO HONOR YOU NOW THAT WE KILLED YOU DONT GET OFFENDED

Black Hawk wasn't killed. He just died.

Also, if the team ever has to rid itself of its logo, does the state have to blow up his Rock River statute? That's his image, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
If they ever try to change the Blackhawks I'll kill someone. It's meant to honor him.

That's the thing. There are some groups who do support the use of their heritage, but there are also a lot more vocal groups who are against it.

Being a Seminole and Chiefs fan, I hope they never change a thing. I do feel the PC crap of today just goes way over the top far too often.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Being a Seminole and Chiefs fan, I hope they never change a thing. I do feel the PC crap of today just goes way over the top far too often.

I don't care if Fla St. wants to have an Indian Chief as a mascot as long as it's respectful. I am however, opposed to this:

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Actually, they were named after the Black Hawk military division of WW I. The division was named after the Chief. Of course, the Chief murdered hundreds of early Illinois and Iowa settlers, so yeah, let's honor him.

blackhawks-logo.gif

That's a weird looking military division.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2012101:date=Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:36 PM:name=ChiSox_Sonix)-->
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
<!--quotec-->Being a Seminole and Chiefs fan, I hope they never change a thing. I do feel the PC crap of today just goes way over the top far too often.

I don't care if Fla St. wants to have an Indian Chief as a mascot as long as it's respectful. I am however, opposed to this:

The University has very close ties the Seminole Nation and I feel if they felt 'The Chop' was degrading, they wouldn't be so supportive of the University's use of their namesake.

"The Seminole Tribe of Florida officially sanctions the use of the Seminole as Florida State University’s nickname and of Chief Osceola as FSU's mascot. Max Osceola, the chief and general council president of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, feels that it is an “honor” to be associated with the university".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
http://www.throwbackguy.com/images/blackhawks-logo.gif

That's a weird looking military division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

The Blackhawks' first owner was coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin. He had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Chief Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. McLaughlin evidently named the hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons. For many years, the name was spelled "Black Hawks." This ambiguity was finally settled in the summer of 1986 when the club officially decided on the one-word version based on the spelling found in the original franchise documents.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=46778

Looking to the past, the Major found his inspiration.

During World War I, McLaughlin had served as a commander in the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Division of the U.S. Army. Members of his division called themselves Black Hawks in honor of the Sauk Indian chief who sided with the British in the War of 1812. Surely, the Major felt, it would be a fitting name for the newest entry into the National Hockey League.