Game Thread: CWS @ SEA, 5:40pm CT

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
I [heart] Beckham. His defense has improved a lot in just the last month to six weeks. Hopefully that is a good sign.

Tell me about it! Before I did not want him at 3B next year, now I kind of want him there, so we can focus on other positions in the offseason.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
The Sox arent trading Rios.

1) If Toronto could have gotten anything for him they would have.

2) The Sox (unlike their fans) generally dont just throw a player away after 1 bad season. They understand that players have good seasons and bad seasons, and not every player is slump proof.

Rios is a major part of the Sox future, regardless of how many board experts disagree.

Well, supposedly KW tried to acquire him before the deadline, so it seems they could have got something for him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
The Sox arent trading Rios.

1) If Toronto could have gotten anything for him they would have.

2) The Sox (unlike their fans) generally dont just throw a player away after 1 bad season. They understand that players have good seasons and bad seasons, and not every player is slump proof.

Rios is a major part of the Sox future, regardless of how many board experts disagree.

I'd bet you if KW put Rios on waivers and someone claimed him, he'd be sucking back champagne at Market with JR within the hour.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
I believe more and more everyday that the Rios move will be looked back upon as one of the 3 worst personnel moves in White Sox history someday.

Rios needs this season to end quickly. If there's onesaving grace for him it's he can't possibly start any worse next season (can he?). Additionally, his woeful numbers happened during a stretch where the team collectively played themselves out of contention.

Also, even if we lose this game, I'd like to see Dye get up to the plate one more time. I enjoy his failures.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Well, supposedly KW tried to acquire him before the deadline, so it seems they could have got something for him.

I am guessing they want Toronto to pick up some money if we sent a player(s) up there. Either that or we were getting more players than just Rios included.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
He has more than one pitch. He made 2 major mistakes. The first HR any of us could hit that out. You couldn't place that pitch any better on a tee.

He can have 10 pitches, but if he can't locate them, it really doesn't matter.

I think Rios will be fine next year. He will bat 6th or 7th and have no pressure on him.

If Quentin is healthy, Ramirez, Beckham, Getz and Nix improve with experience and Konerko and AJ are close to what they ahve done this year, the Sox will be right there next year.

I would keep Jenks as his value is low just not guarantee him the closers role.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
How does that guy even make contact with that stance?

He's hit before. He's made a couple of All Star teams, so he's no novice. Maybe he's stubborn. Maybe he is lacking desire like many scouts claim. Maybe he's just in a slump the size no one has ever seen before. He will eventually be better.

lol

KW and Co arent going to give away Rios.

Did they trade Konerko after 2003?

No.

Im sure that they are frustrated that Rios didnt immediately turn it around, but Im also pretty sure that they knew this was going to take more time than 2 months.

How long did it take for Contreras to turn it around?

His first season with the Sox he had a 5.3 era.

His next season was 3.6 era.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
I think Rios will be fine next year. He will bat 6th or 7th and have no pressure on him.

If Quentin is healthy, Ramirez, Beckham, Getz and Nix improve with experience and Konerko and AJ are close to what they ahve done this year, the Sox will be right there next year.

I would keep Jenks as his value is low just not guarantee him the closers role.

I think if he continues like he's been going the rest of the year, he will have the weight of the world on his shoulders beginning opening day 2010.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
lol

No.

Im sure that they are frustrated that Rios didnt immediately turn it around, but Im also pretty sure that they knew this was going to take more time than 2 months.

They didn't owe Konerko $60 million. Konerko also did better the second half of that year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
lol

No.

2003 Konerko and 2009 Rios aren't even remotely comparable, other than they both sucked.