Sox consider shutting down Floyd and Buehrle

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5200559.story

SEATTLE -- Gavin Floyd could have company if the White Sox shut him down for the remainder of the regular season.

If the Sox are eliminated mathematically from American League Central title contention quickly, manager Ozzie Guillen said Thursday that staff ace Mark Buehrle also could be shelved for the rest of the season.

The Sox took extra measures to ensure Buehrle's health this season. Buehrle needs two innings Friday night to become the only active major league pitcher to win 10 games, make 30 starts and pitch 200 innings in nine consecutive seasons.

Pitching coach Don Cooper said Buehrle has thrown less between starts than in any other previous season.

"If walks were a problem or a certain pitch, we would attend to it," Cooper said. "But he has taken all five days to gas his tank up and throw on a certain day. At the end of the day, that's what matters."

Guillen's hope is the Sox can remain in contention and Floyd can return after missing one start because of a sore left hip.

As for Buehrle, it's up in the air somewhat.

"He has a lot of innings piled up," Guillen said. "But I have to [finish the] season and make those guys go out there and earn the money for that reason, for pride, to finish better."

Floyd's hip history: Floyd revealed his left hip has bothered him since last month, but he thought he could pitch through a dull ache that became more acute Wednesday.

"It has been getting worse," Floyd said. "That's why they took me out, because obviously it hasn't been getting better. That's why they think maybe a start off will help things out."

Floyd said he still wants to finish the season. Guillen said he is leaning toward starting D.J. Carrasco in place of Floyd on Monday night against Minnesota.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
If they do they might as well add Danks to the list as well.

We can only go so far down this road, though - other than Carrasco and Hudson, who is on the 40 man roster who can be put into the rotation to replace these guys? If you shut down Buehrle, Floyd AND Danks, you don't have enough starting pitchers left, unless you want to have an all-bullpen game or something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
We can only go so far down this road, though - other than Carrasco and Hudson, who is on the 40 man roster who can be put into the rotation to replace these guys? If you shut down Buehrle, Floyd AND Danks, you don't have enough starting pitchers left, unless you want to have an all-bullpen game or something.

Well I don't want to do anything until the Tigers series anyways. Just because you never know. But say we get swept by KC here or something and completely fall out of it. If they decidwe to shelve MB and Floyd they might as well do the same for Danks. Let Peavy, Hudson, Freddy, DJ and Torres finish the year out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
Well I don't want to do anything until the Tigers series anyways. Just because you never know. But say we get swept by KC here or something and completely fall out of it. If they decidwe to shelve MB and Floyd they might as well do the same for Danks. Let Peavy, Hudson, Freddy, DJ and Torres finish the year out.

Oh yeah, forgot Torres was here too. OK, sure, I'll take that, if we're done.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)

If nothing else, it will give the Sox (and us) a chance to see these guys pitch. If next year's fifth starter's job is going to be up for grabs with Garcia, Hudson, and Torres battling it out anyway, this will be a nice preview.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I was fine with the Count and Thome moves, but shutting our arms down when we could still legitimately beat the Tigers would really anger me.

If Floyds hip is bothering him that much it would really anger me if they kept throwing him out there

With 6 more games against Detroit, it will most likely come down to at least the first series before it can be agreed upon that the Sox are eliminated. So, if they are not eliminated and they decide to shut down Buehrle in addition to Floyd, you'd really have to wonder the decisions by Ozzie and the gang. I can see sitting Floyd if he's hurting, but sitting Buehrle would be ridiculous.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
Oh, i absolutely agree with you on Floyd, but shutting Danksy and Buehrle down for the hell of it would be a real issue with me

again, with Danks and his nasty finger problem, and Buehrle about to go 9 straight years with 200+ innings. The Sox at some point have to make sure that they arent cutting injury time into 2010.

The offense has shown no signs of showing up, I totally understand why the Sox would want to protect their SP investment at this point, as tantalizing and close a title is.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Why would you worry about preserving Buehrle when he may not even desire to keep playing baseball past his current contract?

I dont know, maybe because he has another year to pitch on that current contract