• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was our season in a nutshell...

Good pitching...

Can't hit with men on base...

Stupid baserunning killing us...

I can't remember the last time I saw a game end on a caught-stealing... pathetic.

Edited by scenario

Poor effort from EVERYONE, but Freddy tonight. I’m going to take a lot of flak for this, but Chris Getz does absolutely nothing for me. I admire his tenacity, and his speed on the bases, but Chris Getz only hits singles. SOFT SINGLES. There's never really any alternative for him. He can work a double in the gap, but he doesn't rely on anything other then speed to get him their. He had no extra-base power, rarely gets anything behind his hits, he doesn’t walk nearly enough to have a decent OPB, and his defense is suspect. He’s wonderfully fundamentally sound, but he is not a long-term option at 2b. And that is why I won’t be disappointed if Nix gets the majority of playing time, and CJ Retherford gets an invite to spring training next year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Poor effort from EVERYONE, but Freddy tonight. I’m going to take a lot of flak for this, but Chris Getz does absolutely nothing for me. I admire his tenacity, and his speed on the bases, but Chris Getz only hits singles. SOFT SINGLES. There's never really any alternative for him. He can work a double in the gap, but he doesn't rely on anything other then speed to get him their. He had no extra-base power, rarely gets anything behind his hits, he doesn’t walk nearly enough to have a decent OPB, and his defense is suspect. He’s wonderfully fundamentally sound, but he is not a long-term option at 2b. And that is why I won’t be disappointed if Nix gets the majority of playing time, and CJ Retherford gets an invite to spring training next year.

A completely misguided directive of anger. Chris Getz is a rookie baseball player and has faired quite well in his first year while all those established power hitting guys have absolutely screwed the pooch. He gives this team the little bit of speed it has, he's NOT playing a corner position which means he doesn't necessarily need to be a slugger like Mike Schmidt. He he has excellent bat control, an understanding of the strike zone, speed and is a good fit on this team.

But let's complain about a "ROLE PLAYER" when the established (and very likely washed up) players on this team are the absolute reason the White sox are not playing post-season this year. The pitching was clearly good enough.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
A completely misguided directive of anger. Chris Getz is a rookie baseball player and has faired quite well in his first year while all those established power hitting guys have absolutely screwed the pooch. He gives this team the little bit of speed it has, he's NOT playing a corner position which means he doesn't necessarily need to be a slugger like Mike Schmidt. He he has excellent bat control, an understanding of the strike zone, speed and is a good fit on this team.

The point is simple: Chris Getz is not the best 2b on this roster. Jayson Nix is also a rookie baseball player, who has shown the ability to hit the ball out of the ballpark, and does not rely on hitting it softly in front of a defender and running like hell. The platoon makes sense for the rest of rest year, but when your strength is excellent bat control, your potential at the major league level is limited. Break it down for me: what does Chris Getz do right? How many runs does he contribute to this team? What inherent value comes from his strengths? I've acknowledged how good he is when he gets on base, but just because we have 8 other guys who can hit on a team, doesn't necessitate the need for a ROLEPLAYER (as you said). Chris Getz is not the biggest problem on this team, I never said that, but he's not an ultimate solution fort next year.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
The point is simple: Chris Getz is not the best 2b on this roster. Jayson Nix is also a rookie baseball player, who has shown the ability to hit the ball out of the ballpark, and does not rely on hitting it softly in front of a defender and running like hell. The platoon makes sense for the rest of rest year, but when your strength is excellent bat control, your potential at the major league level is limited. Break it down for me: what does Chris Getz do right? How many runs does he contribute to this team? What inherent value comes from his strengths? I've acknowledged how good he is when he gets on base, but just because we have 8 other guys who can hit on a team, doesn't necessitate the need for a ROLEPLAYER (as you said). Chris Getz is not the biggest problem on this team, I never said that, but he's not an ultimate solution fort next year.

Its funny you say this about a guy with a .708 OPS in AA:

There's no reason to call a 20 year old kid who hits .280 in AA, in his 1st pro season a bust. No reason for it, no truth to it. Viciedo is going to improve very quickly. I wouldn't be suprised to see him get a call-up next September.

Yet write off Getz during a rookie year he's had a .692 OPS as a guy who will never hit the ball hard.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)

If we're going to be more than a boom and bust home-run hitting softball-type team, you need to have players who hit doubles and triples too.

And if you look at doubles+triples per at-bat as a stat, Getz is second on the team behind Beckham.

Bottom line: he's not just hitting singles.