Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
No, but adding a guy whose main skill is getting on-base will.

He's arguably better at getting kicked off teams than getting on base.

If we're looking for a top-of-the-order guy with a high OBP to DH next year, I'd rather go with Pods.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
He's arguably better at getting kicked off teams than getting on base.

If we're looking for a top-of-the-order guy with a high OBP to DH next year, I'd rather go with Pods.

Comparing Pods and Bradley in the OPB category is a losing battle. Bradley takes him, hard.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
Of course if look at the other side of the coin. I guess there are no black Cub fans. When all else fails.........draw the race card. Why is it when the N-word is heard, it's assumed the some white person said it?

Sounds like a reversed prejudice.

Agreed. Bradley has been an angry guy for years. I don't hang out in the right field bleachers at Wrigley, so I don't know what is said or not said out there, but if I had a racist detector, it would probabaly be locked in on Bradley.

And, using his three year old's experiences as an excuse is lame. Who makes racial taunts to a three year old? Other three year olds? Parents?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
Comparing Pods and Bradley in the OPB category is a losing battle. Bradley takes him, hard.

Yes, and Pods can run the bases a lot better. And if his OBP is still in the .350 range next year, he'd do fine at the top of the lineup.

Unlike video games and fantasy sports, character matters in the real world. If the culture of the Sox clubhouse was completely incompatible with Nick Swisher last year, Milton Bradley would be an unmitigated disaster.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)
No, but adding a guy whose main skill is getting on-base will.

If you're looking to add an OBP guy in the DH spot, there are still a lot of different options such as;

1 - Jim Thome. Yeah most people probably wouldn't want him back, and he's inconsistent as hell. But so is Bradley, and Thome put up an .864 OPS for the Sox this season with a .372 OBP.

2 - Russell Branyan. 1 year wonder? Possibly, but if the price was right he'd be worth considering. I'd imagine he'll stick with the Mariners though.

3 - Nick Johnson. This guy has a .421 OBP this season. 92 BB's and 81 K's. He'd look very nice in the DH spot for us.

4 - Adam LaRoche. Doesn't get on base as well as the 3 above, but he's another option to consider.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Unlike video games and fantasy sports, character matters in the real world.

Bingo! The North Side had one of the best teams in baseball last year but it's the character issue that will always make them come up short.

We let stats and fantasy sports erode our sports intelligence.

There was a Sox fan on the SCORE talking to Stone that he would trade Rios for Bradley straight up.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Agreed. Bradley has been an angry guy for years. I don't hang out in the right field bleachers at Wrigley, so I don't know what is said or not said out there, but if I had a racist detector, it would probabaly be locked in on Bradley.

And, using his three year old's experiences as an excuse is lame. Who makes racial taunts to a three year old? Other three year olds? Parents?

This is the result of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation.

Imagine if the guy said, "I'll admit I've really sucked this year." Some of the greatest athletes have no problem criticizing their performances.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
If you're looking to add an OBP guy in the DH spot, there are still a lot of different options such as;

1 - Jim Thome. Yeah most people probably wouldn't want him back, and he's inconsistent as hell. But so is Bradley, and Thome put up an .864 OPS for the Sox this season with a .372 OBP.

2 - Russell Branyan. 1 year wonder? Possibly, but if the price was right he'd be worth considering. I'd imagine he'll stick with the Mariners though.

3 - Nick Johnson. This guy has a .421 OBP this season. 92 BB's and 81 K's. He'd look very nice in the DH spot for us.

4 - Adam LaRoche. Doesn't get on base as well as the 3 above, but he's another option to consider.

I should think that slugging % would be every bit as, if not more important than, OBP when it comes to talking about a lefthanded DH on our particular ballclub. As of the moment, we do not have anybody who can hit the ball with regular authority from that side of the plate. As such, I think we need to be thinking about guys such as Thome, Branyan, Matsui and Delgado for that role long before we think of a mediocre run producer such as Bradley. And if you do place more of a premium on OBP, then you obviously set your sights on a guy like Abreu. All of those guys, of course, are free agents, so I think you investigate their availability as well as any potential lefthanded hitting trade candiates out there long before you even remotely consider taking on a problem child like Bradley. I mean, to me, Bradley isn't even in a "Plan B" type of category. More like "Plan Z", and I don't mean Zambrano!

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
I should think that slugging % would be every bit as, if not more important than, OBP when it comes to talking about a lefthanded DH on our particular ballclub.

SLG vs. OBP depends more on where you hit in the lineup than anything else. Obviously, you want somebody with a high SLG hitting 4th, but if your DH happens to be your leadoff guy, OBP rules.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
SLG vs. OBP depends more on where you hit in the lineup than anything else. Obviously, you want somebody with a high SLG hitting 4th, but if your DH happens to be your leadoff guy, OBP rules.

I completely agree. My point is that our club is probably going to need a lefthanded presence somewhere in the middle of that line-up next year, meaning that slugging % is what might be of more importance to acquire this winter; thus, diminishing the need for the services of one Mr. Milton Bradley.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)

I'm starting to come around to your line of thinking. Bradley would be a tremendous positive influence on the Sox younger players. They will learn how to deflect blame and come up with excuses for everything.

I trust that KW is not dumb enough to even for a minute considering acquiring Bradley.

But then again, he's the same guy who landed Linebrink and Pena so I guess never say never.

Edited by greg775

I actually like Milton Bradley and would love to see him in a Sox uniform next year. Playing at Wrigley is an all together different situation than playing at The Cell. I like to think we are a much classier breed of baseball fan than so-called Cub fans. I was having baseball withdrawals a few years ago while the Sox were out of town, so I decided to go to a Cubs game. I will NEVER EVER pay money to go back to that dump unless they are getting their asses kicked by the Sox. I actually like the Cubs team, but I absolutely HATE Cub fans and the giant urinal better known as Wrigley field. Milton should have listened to Torii Hunter and other players and never gone there in the first place. They will never win.

It would be so sweet to have Kenny trade for Milton and get the Cubs to pay 75% of his salary, then have Cub fans watch Milton win the World Series ring on the Southside.

I trust that KW is not dumb enough to even for a minute considering acquiring Bradley.

But then again, he's the same guy who landed Linebrink and Pena so I guess never say never.

He's also the dumbass who got Freddy Garcia, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, Dustin Hermanson, A.J. Pierzynski, Jose Contreras, Al Duque, and Iguchi. Those guys did nothing.

what a moron.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)

Dude.. seriously Greg.. you need to think before you post bro.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I draw the line at steroid users, but honestly, if the Sox could win the World Series with the 9 biggest Assholes in the world in the lineup, i'd take it. No doubt in my mind.

You know... when I first read this, I was in full agreement. But then the thought of curt schilling in a White Sox uniform crossed my mind and I threw up in my mouth a lil bit... I think my bowels moved a lil bit too. BRB...

Dude.. seriously Greg.. you need to think before you post bro.

What's wrong with my post? Is KW above criticism? I didn't say I disliked hiim as our GM. I said never say never because he's made some awful moves like Liney and Pena. He's not perfect, folks.

My point was never say never because he's erred in the past.

I've said many times I like both Oz and KW overall. I don't want them canned ever. They brought me the rarest of things, a Chicago WS title. Probably will never happen again in any of our lifetimes.

So KW is above criticism?? What gives?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
What's wrong with my post? Is KW above criticism? I didn't say I disliked hiim as our GM. I said never say never because he's made some awful moves like Liney and Pena. He's not perfect, folks.

My point was never say never because he's erred in the past.

I've said many times I like both Oz and KW overall. I don't want them canned ever. They brought me the rarest of things, a Chicago WS title. Probably will never happen again in any of our lifetimes.

So KW is above criticism?? What gives?

Its not that he's above criticism, its the way that you (constantly) cry about it. We get it, nobody cares that you're upset with Linebrink or Pena. We all know those 2 have blown, you're not providing some breaking news that we all somehow missed and it adds nothing to the topic to say s*** like:

Whats the point?

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
I'm starting to come around to your line of thinking. Bradley would be a tremendous positive influence on the Sox younger players. They will learn how to deflect blame and come up with excuses for everything.

I see your sarcasm. I instead choose to ignore it. ;)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Thunderbolt of all players to hitch your wagon to why Bradley?

Some fans reach the point that anyone outside the team has to be better. It's often desperation.

In modern day baseball teams change so much and winning it all has a lot to do with what team is hot at the time and many players having a career year. It's a crap shoot.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Thunderbolt of all players to hitch your wagon to why Bradley?

I was responding to a hypothetical question: Would I trade Linebrink for Bradley? My answer is absolutely yes. Realistically, however I don’t want Bradley. I don’t think we need him, and I think we should go in a different (younger and healthier) direction. That being said, if I’m given the offer of Brinkey for Bradley I do it. You never pass up on the opportunity to buy low on an OPB-oriented, switch hitting slugger in exchange for an awful reliever signed to an awful deal.

Apparently Bradley loved playing in Texas and saw Washington as a father figure and what not.

Then he took the big money and signed in Chicago. It at least goes to show there is a fit for him....somewhere.

Will Ozzie coddle him? No. But Ozzie seemed to give Carl Everett all the space he needed as well. And Everett was incident free in Texas too, albeit with a different mgr

Actually now I'm starting to worry that the nearest parallel is not Everett, but rather a ...less benign.. Frank Thomas. I only say that because of the apparent hypersensitivity.

Ozzie and Frank clashed-- and if i'm honest with myself--i would fear a larger version of that clash repeating. When Ozzie does clash with someone, it doesnt get mended.

Edited by Princess Dye