Minnesota Twins @ Chicago White Sox, 7:11, CSN

justBLAZE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
HE would have been worth it when we had to endure Josh "can't" Fields at 3rd. Not many look back at the beginning of the season when games were given away because of over all s***ty play.

No he wouldnt. For all of you guys clamoring for Uribe let me put it pretty simple. If Uribe is on the team Beckham is in the minors still working on his craft. The reason Beckham was brought up was due to Josh "can't" Fields being so bad. Remember, if Beckham is up we are in trouble. Beckham >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uribe

This offense has got to be the worst i baseball.. this offense has been horses*** at manufacturing runs.. WALKER needs to go, because if I gotta go through another season of watching every hitter swing for the fences every AB I'm done watching this team... Dye is done, which sucks for all he's done for this team but he will be gone. We really need a proven .300 hitter that can get over 100 rbi.. and hopefully Rios/CQ pick it up next year, or we're gonna be horses*** again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 03:19 AM)
C'mon, guys. This season didn't go down the toilet because we didn't have Juan Uribe. Just as 2006 didn't fall apart because we didn't have Rowand. Let's not b**** just to b****.

No one admits this just isn't a very good team, and the only position players that overachieved this year were Pods and AJP. The Rios claim is such a disaster in that it's likely going to make it a lot harder to upgrade spots where we're lacking next year.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
No he wouldnt. For all of you guys clamoring for Uribe let me put it pretty simple. If Uribe is on the team Beckham is in the minors still working on his craft. The reason Beckham was brought up was due to Josh "can't" Fields being so bad. Remember, if Beckham is up we are in trouble. Beckham >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uribe

Uribe is having your classic fluke season anyway. The only thing that's up for him is his BABIP. All his other rates are the same.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
No one admits this just isn't a very good team, and the only position players that overachieved this year were Pods and AJP. The Rios claim is such a disaster in that it's likely going to make it a lot harder to upgrade spots where we're lacking next year.

I agree with all this except the Rios claim being a disaster. And it remains to be seen if he will keep this team from upgrading at other positions. Until proven otherwise, I have to give KW the benefit of the doubt in this particular case.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Hawk puts the blame for the season on the bullpen. I guess the 12th ranked offense in the AL gets no mention.

And the coaches are all great, too. Stone was just saying something to that effect. Now Hawk chimes in to support Walker.

Hey, I'm for putting the blame on the hitters, too -- but, on Walker, c'mon. There has to be some accountability. And from where I sit, it's either Walker or the General Manager who put together a team of guys who take such a lousy approach at the plate.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Hawk puts the blame for the season on the bullpen. I guess the 12th ranked offense in the AL gets no mention.

12th ranked? That's unbelievable that there's 2 teams worse than the Sox offensively.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
And the coaches are all great, too. Stone was just saying something to that effect. Now Hawk chimes in to support Walker.

Hey, I'm for putting the blame on the hitters, too -- but, on Walker, c'mon. There has to be some accountability. And from where I sit, it's either Walker or the General Manager who put together a team of guys who take such a lousy approach at the plate.

Can we really blame Walker for CQ's struggles (which are injury related) and Dye turning into a replacement level player the last three months? Not to mention we went big chunks of the season with Fields, Lillibridge and Wise in the lineup. And Rios has obviously been bad to this point. I fail to see how any of this can be on Walker's head. Konerko/AJ/Pods/Beckham have all matched or exceeded expectations. Alexei after a slow start has been alright. Thome was Thome. No hitting coach would make a difference there. Would Getz be a better hitter with somebody other than Walker as the hitting coach? Doubtful. Again, I just don't see why Walker should take the fall.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Can we really blame Walker for CQ's struggles (which are injury related) and Dye turning into a replacement level player the last three months? Not to mention we went big chunks of the season with Fields, Lillibridge and Wise in the lineup. And Rios has obviously been bad to this point. I fail to see how any of this can be on Walker's head. Konerko/AJ/Pods/Beckham have all matched or exceeded expectations. Alexei after a slow start has been alright. Thome was Thome. No hitting coach would make a difference there. Would Getz be a better hitter with somebody other than Walker as the hitting coach? Doubtful. Again, I just don't see why Walker should take the fall.

Things that you can probably pin on walker:

1. These terrifically bad games against guys we haven't seen before.

2. Fields's lack of development. His swing needed improvement and it just never showed.

3. Rios. The guy needs some major mechanical work right now. That's a hitting coach's job.

4. JD. I still don't know what's wrong with him, I think it has to be injury related, but if it's not, then the hitting coach needs to kick his ass.

5. Some of the really long slumps our guys got in to. Ramirez to start the season, Getz in June. Those really hampered us too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I heard a report that AJP will either be the third or fourth player to have an above .300 average (500+ abs) in Walker's tenure or something like that.

Not surprising considering the type of hitters he's had during his time here. We haven't exactly had a bunch of Ichiro's the last 5 years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

Same offensive shortcomings, year after year, and the players often change. A lot is Williams's fault for finding guys uniquely qualified to be fundamentally lousy, no question. But, please consider:

1) These players do not hit situationally and haven't for years. It looks like they try; they don't know how. Someone, like the hitting coach, should provide some assistance here.

2) These players are flabbergasted by pitchers they haven't seen before. I sorta think the hitting coach ought to be of some assistance on that one.

3) These players cannot hit left-handed pitchers with changeups. Why is this always a team-wide phenomenon? Perhaps a coaching approach might help there, too.

If the answer on each of these is no, then I am not sure what a hitting coach is supposed to do, nor why they would ever, under any circumstance, be held accountable. I think it's otherwise.

Boy, Hawk and Stoney busting out the season's post mortem tonight. I guess they've finally seen enough. My heart wants to share their optimism about next year. But it's a little hard at the moment when you look at the league's worst defense, 12th best offense, and a bullpen in a somewhat state of shambles. I do think we will be in a position of strength with our starting rotation in '10, and I agree with Hawk and Stone about the expected improvement from guys like Beckham and Getz. But I agree even more with Stone's comment that Kenny still has some work to do this winter.

Edited by Thad Bosley

These uninspired "effotrs" of late have to be a reflection on the whole staff. To go out there and see this stuff, like tonite and last Friday-there should be credits given to people that go.

In a business, if you are in charge of a department that is a non productive failure, you get moved or launched. Nothing happens to these statues dressed as coaches

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Things that you can probably pin on walker:

1. These terrifically bad games against guys we haven't seen before.

2. Fields's lack of development. His swing needed improvement and it just never showed.

3. Rios. The guy needs some major mechanical work right now. That's a hitting coach's job.

4. JD. I still don't know what's wrong with him, I think it has to be injury related, but if it's not, then the hitting coach needs to kick his ass.

5. Some of the really long slumps our guys got in to. Ramirez to start the season, Getz in June. Those really hampered us too.

I agree with #1. There has to be some accountability there. The rest? I just don't see it. Fields is just bad. I don't care what anybody says. Rios was having a down year before he got here. It's just gotten worse. I don't believe he's anywhere close to being this bad. So I'll reserve judgement there. Other than the first half of 2007, JD has produced at an all-star level since he's been here. And he was having a pretty good first half this year. It could be a case of a 36 year old finally starting to decline. I don't agree with #5. You got guys from every team in baseball that go into slumps. Guys with proven track records. I think Ian Kinsler had a 2 or 3 month stretch this year where he hit like .200. And the Rangers offense, which is supposed to be pretty potent, has had a down year across the board. I don't think they're going to fire Rudy Jaramillo. Just happens. Ramirez did that last year and was a runner-up for the ROY. And I don't think Getz is an everyday player.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Not surprising considering the type of hitters he's had during his time here. We haven't exactly had a bunch of Ichiro's the last 5 years.

I believe this is Walker's 7th season. I know Maggs was the first, but he's good anywhere. I'll look up the others right now.

EDIT: Lee, Konerko, Dye were the others but those (meaning Dye/Konerko) were their career years when both put up those great numbers. I'll throw Rowand in there too I guess despite him having less than 500 abs registered.

El Caballo and Maggs have continued to hit above .300+ in other seasons. Rowand had his career year with the Phillies to net that big contract with SF. AJP will also be on the list from his past tenure with the Twins.