Salt Lake City

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
That's where I stopped reading.

Reminds me of when I asked the concierge at a nice downtown hotel in Atlanta where to eat and he recommended Cheesecake Factory. Thanks Pal. It's so difficult to find chain restaurants when I travel. *shakes head*

Whenever I travel and ask that question, I always preface with, "something I can't get anywhere else".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I'd suggest that New Mexico, Montana and Colorado beat Utah in that category, maybe Idaho too.

Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and the north rim of the Grand Canyon . . .

A case could be built for all that you mentioned. And a tip of the cap that you stayed land locked.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and the north rim of the Grand Canyon . . .

A case could be built for all that you mentioned. And a tip of the cap that you stayed land locked.

I'm a geography nerd, I love maps, no way I would mistake any states for land locked or not. I would challenge anyone to any sort of geography test.

Utah is great, I'd just say not quite as great as the others. And most of the Grand Canyon, north rim included, is in Arizona.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm a geography nerd, I love maps,

My gf and I were just discussing decorating, I hesitantly mentioned I really wanted to decorate with topo maps of some of the places I've been or want to go. She thought it was a great idea :wub: One caveat, she wanted new ones, not the annotated, used ones form the trip. And we are planning on framing them, not just the bachelor pinning to the wall.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
My gf and I were just discussing decorating, I hesitantly mentioned I really wanted to decorate with topo maps of some of the places I've been or want to go. She thought it was a great idea :wub: One caveat, she wanted new ones, not the annotated, used ones form the trip. And we are planning on framing them, not just the bachelor pinning to the wall.

Whatever house my wife and I buy, it will have a basement, and I will eventually (if its not already there) wall in a small room that will be the "offices" for my non-profit wilderness outfit. The walls will be entirely covered in maps. World map, US map, divide trail map, Quetico map, all full of tacks and notations and markings for where we have been and where we want to go. Other than maps, it will have one big beat up table in the middle to lay out navigations, and a beer fridge. That's it.

gawd I am ready for that.

Anyway, as it is we actually have some cool historical maps as decorations here and there, which fortunately my wife also likes.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
This is true, outside of SLC there is a bevy of national parks and forests, all beautiful of course. The beauty of nature is untouched by the ugly Mormon religion. :headbang

Interesting that none of the Mormon friends I have have nearly as much hate as you. And I find hate to be the most destructive of all emotions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Whatever house my wife and I buy, it will have a basement, and I will eventually (if its not already there) wall in a small room that will be the "offices" for my non-profit wilderness outfit. The walls will be entirely covered in maps. World map, US map, divide trail map, Quetico map, all full of tacks and notations and markings for where we have been and where we want to go. Other than maps, it will have one big beat up table in the middle to lay out navigations, and a beer fridge. That's it.

gawd I am ready for that.

Anyway, as it is we actually have some cool historical maps as decorations here and there, which fortunately my wife also likes.

Awesome room to drink a few beers in. :cheers

Interesting that none of the Mormon friends I have have nearly as much hate as you. And I find hate to be the most destructive of all emotions.

Like I said, on the outside it seems nice and dandy... enough so for some folks to carve an actual happy lifestyle out of it. I have nothing against them. That's why we're here.

But it doesn't change my opinion one bit. You call it hatred, sure I may share some dissent for those who brainwash, personally I find it a disgusting tactic to get one to submit themselves to a religion. The bottom line for me is that NO one single person can act as an authority of God. LDS acts as if they are the best of the best, Gods greatest children and Gods favorite. They feed this kind of propaganda to the youth to keep them within their circle for their whole lives. It is a giant scam and a giant lie, of the greatest magnitude possible! Think about it... what greater a scam then one based on a religion that people entrust their faith to? Religion is one of those things which is seemingly right and just in a world of confusion and hypocrisy. People turn to religion to help them get in touch with God. It is a sought-after service. So what better a way to scam people? Earn their faith and trust with the "words of God", and then you can perform any wicked, evil act you wish, on behalf of God and Jesus Christ.

I'd be willing to wager that God and Jesus were not Mormons. I'd be willing to wager that when it is all said and done, in a just world, those who do evil things in the name of God and Jesus Christ are resigned to go to Hell. It's not hate, to me it's logic. And those who carved out themselves a happy life.. be they Mormon, Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, what have you, will find themselves also in a happy place after life. I'm more so focusing on the exploiters, the wealthy, those who use God to benefit themselves financially. As I said originally in this post, I share an extreme dissent for those kinds of people. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Like I said, on the outside it seems nice and dandy... enough so for some folks to carve an actual happy lifestyle out of it. I have nothing against them. That's why we're here.

But it doesn't change my opinion one bit. You call it hatred, sure I may share some dissent for those who brainwash, personally I find it a disgusting tactic to get one to submit themselves to a religion. The bottom line for me is that NO one single person can act as an authority of God. LDS acts as if they are the best of the best, Gods greatest children and Gods favorite. They feed this kind of propaganda to the youth to keep them within their circle for their whole lives. It is a giant scam and a giant lie, of the greatest magnitude possible! Think about it... what greater a scam then one based on a religion that people entrust their faith to? Religion is one of those things which is seemingly right and just in a world of confusion and hypocrisy. People turn to religion to help them get in touch with God. It is a sought-after service. So what better a way to scam people? Earn their faith and trust with the "words of God", and then you can perform any wicked, evil act you wish, on behalf of God and Jesus Christ.

I'd be willing to wager that God and Jesus were not Mormons. I'd be willing to wager that when it is all said and done, in a just world, those who do evil things in the name of God and Jesus Christ are resigned to go to Hell. It's not hate, to me it's logic. And those who carved out themselves a happy life.. be they Mormon, Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, what have you, will find themselves also in a happy place after life. I'm more so focusing on the exploiters, the wealthy, those who use God to benefit themselves financially. As I said originally in this post, I share an extreme dissent for those kinds of people. Sorry for the confusion.

Seriously...we all KNOW that's the Jews!

/green

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)

Sure you don't.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
I live about an hour south of Salt Lake City.

I really don't go there that often, but you may want to go to the Hard Rock Cafe, 505 South 600 East, Salt Lake City Tel: 801 532 762.

You may want to check out The Bayou, 645 South State Street, 801-961-8400. Getting a good drink in Utah has never been so easy. Over 200 beers available. Cajun-flair menu with classic pub fare.

One place I go to a lot and highly recommend is The Pie (for pretty good pizza). Voted "Best Pizza in Utah.", which isn't saying much I know, but really it's good and a very un-Mormon-like atmosphere. It's just off the University of Utah campus, so it's mainly frequented by college kids, but at least they're not BYU students. You can get pizza, calzones, baked subs, salads, wings, local beers on tap. Open late 7-days a week.

There's Zanzibar for live jazz and blues. Nothing quite like a good Blues place in Chicago but just the same it's SOMETHING; 677 South 200 West. Tel: 801-746-0590.

If the outdoors is your thing there's some pretty good not too far off places to hike in the Wasatch Mountains. Also Antelope Island is pretty cool.

Too bad the minor league baseball season is over. Bees games are always fun and the ballparks around here have nice mountain views.

Appreciate it!

Not sure what days you will be there, but Pearl Jam is playing at the E-Center on Mon 9/28 and Creed is there on Friday 10/2. The E-Center is a top notch facility that hosted Olympic hockey. Those are the only two events I could find next week at the E-Center. I can assure you they sell beer at the E-Center.

I didn't experience nightlife so much when I visited, but I enjoyed the area. I thought the mountain views were gorgeous and the air felt clean and refreshing. It seemed like a nice city. Can't remember the restaurant we went to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm a geography nerd, I love maps, no way I would mistake any states for land locked or not. I would challenge anyone to any sort of geography test.

Utah is great, I'd just say not quite as great as the others. And most of the Grand Canyon, north rim included, is in Arizona.

I'm pretty confident I could beat you.