Salt Lake City

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Actually, yes, I think I could, or close to as good anyway. I used to do that as a kid, if I was bored, I'd draw maps of the US or other places. For fun.

I used to do that with flags. So in the "skills that don't matter" department, I can describe the flag of just about any country in the world now, haha.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
For the contest...I think a new thread should be started. And to help the thread stand out, call it...NERD ALERT!!!

You know, I know youre joking, but there's really nothing wrong with being well-informed about other places around the world. In fact, I find it depressing how many people know absolutely nothing outside of their little spheres they live in nowadays. It always cracks me up when people mention Africa as if it's a country, for example.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
You know, I know youre joking, but there's really nothing wrong with being well-informed about other places around the world. In fact, I find it depressing how many people know absolutely nothing outside of their little spheres they live in nowadays. It always cracks me up when people mention Africa as if it's a country, for example.

In America there is no social incentive to be the "smart kid." I was an honor student my whole life and I can attest to that. It wasn't until almost the end of high school that having good grades got me extra points. I'm willing to be that isn't the case in somewhere like China or Japan.

There is a great 1-minute show on my local NPR station that could put this Geography Throwdown into motion. A geography professor from the local state college does it and about half of the shows are done in quiz format. Sometimes he does "Can you name this country?" and he'll give clues like the capital, the population, and the land area. Or he'll give clue-form descriptions of three places or global geological features that all begin with the same letter and you have to guess them. I rarely get all three, often get two, sometimes only one, and if I don't get any I cry.