Twins @ White Sox, 9/23/09

Balta1701

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Considering the only thing we are playing for right now is 2010, why not let the kid hit.

He also had a nice double and doesn't look overmatched up here. I hope Ozzie DHs him and gives him a few starts at C (especially not to mention work with the pitchers) for the rest of the season.

Our elimination number will be 2 I think now if we lose tonight? Play the kids.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
He also had a nice double and doesn't look overmatched up here. I hope Ozzie DHs him and gives him a few starts at C (especially not to mention work with the pitchers) for the rest of the season.

Our elimination number will be 2 I think now if we lose tonight? Play the kids.

Flowers should play every single game through the end of the season. We should also let him catch a few games to give AJ rest. Ozzie won't until an AL Central champ is crowned.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Considering the only thing we are playing for right now is 2010, why not let the kid hit.

You run out every ground ball.

You run out every pop fly.

You run to first if you don't think the catcher caught strike three.

And you play every game to win, until you are mathematically eliminated.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
You run out every ground ball.

You run out every pop fly.

You run to first if you don't think the catcher caught strike three.

And you play every game to win, until you are mathematically eliminated.

The tragic number is 2 after tonight. Even Rudy from the Notre Dame movie would play the kids after tonight.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
The tragic number is 2 after tonight. Even Rudy from the Notre Dame movie would play the kids after tonight.

OK, so you can quit when the tragic number is 2.

Now tell me when it is OK not to run out ground balls, pop ups, or dropped third strikes.

I didn't say the Sox's odds are good, but the rule should be: keep trying until you are called out.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)

They won't do it because Detroit, the division leader, is coming into town and our meat and potato, blue collared fans saved a lot of unemployment money to come to these games! God forbid they can't watch Buehrle pitch one more time, even though they had all year to do exactly that.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Now tell me when it is OK not to run out ground balls, pop ups, or dropped third strikes.

I didn't say the Sox's odds are good, but the rule should be: keep trying until you are called out.

Albert Pujols disagrees.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
They won't do it because Detroit, the division leader, is coming into town and our meat and potato, blue collared fans saved a lot of unemployment money to come to these games! God forbid they can't watch Buehrle pitch one more time, even though they had all year to do exactly that.

Some of you people might be happier being Pirates fans: "Stop trying to win because it's hopeless, dump everyone, and bring in a bunch of kids."

Whatever happened to "Win or Die Trying"?

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
OK, so you can quit when the tragic number is 2.

You have a better chance of having Megan Fox come over to your house and rock your world than the Sox winning the division this year. Evaluating for 2010 is what we should be focusing on. You know, the division we have a chance of winning. Not the mythical one where both the Twins and the Tigers both drop dead, and the commish awards us the trophy. Step away from fantasy land for a second and embrace reality.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
MLB.com is going to have to modify their Gameday pitch strike zone feature so that when the ump blows a called strike call (like the 2nd strike on AJ), it shows the ball being somewhere close to the zone.

Well, they did show it being closer to the plate than it actually was. Where they have pitch four (the strikeout) is about how far out from the plate pitch three was.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...mp;mode=gameday

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
You have a better chance of having Megan Fox come over to your house and rock your world than the Sox winning the division this year. Evaluating for 2010 is what we should be focusing on. You know, the division we have a chance of winning. Not the mythical one where both the Twins and the Tigers both drop dead, and the commish awards us the trophy. Step away from fantasy land for a second and embrace reality.

Has nothing to do with fantasy versus reality. I'm just saying a better rule to live by is always keep trying, as long as you have a chance. Anything less sends the wrong message, that it's OK to quit under certain circumstances. Then the question becomes: what exactly are those circumstances, and does every player on the team get to apply their own judgment?

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Some of you people might be happier being Pirates fans: "Stop trying to win because it's hopeless, dump everyone, and bring in a bunch of kids."

Whatever happened to "Win or Die Trying"?

You can still try and win with a bunch of kids.

And it's not as if the entire team would be substituted. For one, Buehrle NEVER would have pitched tonight. He looked like s*** velocity wise, and the results proved it because he was throwing spicey meatballs up at the plate. Didn't someone realize it before he took the mound that he wasn't anywhere near 100%? That's one example. Another may be putting Flowers in a few games at catcher. Yes, Pierzynski is having a good year; but instead of f***ing Castro lets try and place someone at the position who has a career with this team. I also wouldn't mind Dye sitting, but of course, his game today pretty much guarantees he will play until the season ends.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
I'll update the draft status every 5 games or so till the season ends but if Oakland wins tonight, we will the 12th and only 1.5 games back I believe of the 10th spot.

I hope we don't tank the rest of the year, but i recognize that its over at this point. Beckham was our reward for 2007. Hopefully, we get something nice next year too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
I'll update the draft status every 5 games or so till the season ends but if Oakland wins tonight, we will the 12th and only 1.5 games back I believe of the 10th spot.

Detroit's coming to town so we'll have a good chance of capturing that 10th spot. After that, I'd like to see us throw out a Sunday lineup three straight games in the Cleveland series

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Has nothing to do with fantasy versus reality. I'm just saying a better rule to live by is always keep trying, as long as you have a chance. Anything less sends the wrong message, that it's OK to quit under certain circumstances. Then the question becomes: what exactly are those circumstances, and does every player on the team get to apply their own judgment?

This team laid down and died over a month ago. So please stop with the, we all need to grind and tough it out and play 27 outs. They haven't done it in a month. So how about we play the kids and see if they can play hard and give the effort you wish. The multimillionaires are working on their short game for their tee time in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
You can still try and win with a bunch of kids.

And it's not as if the entire team would be substituted. For one, Buehrle NEVER would have pitched tonight. He looked like s*** velocity wise, and the results proved it because he was throwing spicey meatballs up at the plate. Didn't someone realize it before he took the mound that he wasn't anywhere near 100%? That's one example. Another may be putting Flowers in a few games at catcher. Yes, Pierzynski is having a good year; but instead of f***ing Castro lets try and place someone at the position who has a career with this team. I also wouldn't mind Dye sitting, but of course, his game today pretty much guarantees he will play until the season ends.

I agree you can try to win with a bunch of kids. It's what we've been doing most of the year in the infield, with our rookie 3B, our rookie (at this position) SS, and two rookie 2Bs. We have to give these kids more time to learn their positions and gel. Next year will be better than this year (could the fielding be much worse?).

I think Buehrle is still a better starting pitching option than Torres. But I do think Castro has been bad enough to warrant Flowers getting a chance to catch even while the Sox are still in "trying to win" mode.