My surprise player to be dealt

Lemon_44

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
What's wrong with Nick Johnson? Injured a lot?

Yes.

He'd be a very, very intriguing option as a DH on a gamble. I know KW really trusts his medical staff, but they'd really need to do their homework first. If they thought he could stay healthy as a DH it could be a game changing move.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
What's wrong with Nick Johnson? Injured a lot?

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. Plus, he's a poor man's Sean Casey. Not bad if you have enough sluggers around him, but if you get rid of Paulie, I'm not sure Nick Johnson is the best replacement.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
Yeah...that's what I was thinking. Plus, he's a poor man's Sean Casey. Not bad if you have enough sluggers around him, but if you get rid of Paulie, I'm not sure Nick Johnson is the best replacement.

He's Sean Casey in an interesting sense though...Casey has a couple seasons of .900ish OPS, but usually hangs around .750, especially from 2005 on. Johnson's OPS is regularly above .850, and often around .900...if he's ever healthy. He'd be a major offensive guy if he could stay healthy. Casey seems to have had some other, um, performance issues. Johnson would be a terrible replacement for Konerko; you'd need another 1b to take up 500 at bas.t

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
Like I said, I dont knwo that he quit, and I dont feel that he did. I just think his plodding style has finally moved KW to a point that he would like to replace him. I certainly wouldnt mind Kotsay at 1B, I think that would be a great replacement

Kotsay at this pointin his career isn't much less plodding than Konerko. And while I like Kotsay (wtiness: I called for the Sox to acquire him multiple times the last few years), he is a downgrade against Konerko. He won't put up as good a numbers offensively, has only slightly more speed, and is a push defensively. So replacing Konerko with Kotsay as a full time 1B means sacrificing more offense, but you do save some money to be sure.

I'd love to see Kotsay back next year in the exact role he has this year - backup OF and 1B.

Buehrle has a NTC and his salary escalates if he is traded. He's also thrown two no-hitters including a perfect game in Chicago, started and saved a WS game, started the All-Star game for us, threw a CG in the ALCS, etc. The fans chanted his name and lashed out against the organization when Kenny tried to trade him. I'd expect Quentin to be traded before Buehrle, and CQ is going nowhere.

If I had to pick one surprise player to go it would probably be Linebrink because I'd be shocked if someone took his contract. Anyone else traded probably won't be surprising. In fact, I can't even recall the last time we were shocked about a Sox player being traded because usually the writing is already on the wall for the guys Kenny ships out. Kenny only shocks us with his acquisitions.

Edit: Actually, McCarthy was probably the last Sox player that Sox fans were surprised to see go.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Buehrle has a NTC and his salary escalates if he is traded. He's also thrown two no-hitters including a perfect game in Chicago, started and saved a WS game, started the All-Star game for us, threw a CG in the ALCS, etc. The fans chanted his name and lashed out against the organization when Kenny tried to trade him. I'd expect Quentin to be traded before Buehrle, and CQ is going nowhere.

What if Kenny traded him to St Louis? He'd probably waive the NTC. But do they even have something we need not named Pujols?

I think it might be Floyd (we have been known to deal a player who might have an injury we might see serious in the future) and I believe his hip injury is seriously being downplayed. Konerko I could see as well, but he wouldn't "shock" me. Hammerhead Johnson suggested Nick Johnson a few weeks ago at DH and I still LOVE the idea. Or an Adam Dunn. I'm betting KW will look to the trade market more this offseason than in FA in the past.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
What if Kenny traded him to St Louis? He'd probably waive the NTC. But do they even have something we need not named Pujols?

I'd love to have Wainwright as a closer, but he's not going anywhere. Plus, he probably insist on starting anyway.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)

They just have guys that they probably wouldn't trade anyway, like Wainwright for instance. Now that Kenny has assembled his third dominant rotation ('05 and '06 being the others) in his history as GM, I would expect him to try and win with it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I think it might be Floyd (we have been known to deal a player who might have an injury we might see serious in the future) and I believe his hip injury is seriously being downplayed. Konerko I could see as well, but he wouldn't "shock" me. Hammerhead Johnson suggested Nick Johnson a few weeks ago at DH and I still LOVE the idea. Or an Adam Dunn. I'm betting KW will look to the trade market more this offseason than in FA in the past.

What makes you think that?

Floyd gives us production well beyond his current contract as well as cost certainty. Moving him only would make sense if we get another, better pitcher in the process who is also cheap and brings similar cost certainty.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
What makes you think that?

Floyd gives us production well beyond his current contract as well as cost certainty. Moving him only would make sense if we get another, better pitcher in the process who is also cheap and brings similar cost certainty.

I just think they know something we don't know. Ozzie has already said he believes Floyd might have to change/tweak his delivery next season because of the continuing hip issue (supposedly it's been the last two years now, though this year it's been alittle more serious), which is never good to hear for a pitcher. I'm not saying I want this to happen or advocate it, but I could see it happening and since this thread is for a surprise player, he would be a prime candidate. I could see a few trade rumors for Floyd (not the Roberts one again) being traded for a very good hitter at whatever position KW looks at, then KW switching that around and trading a say.. Konerko or Quentin for that pitcher or maybe even spects for a pitcher.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
I think Konerko with a small ball team would be better next year, same with AJ. They seem to be better hitters that can be more productive if they are just trying ot hit the ball especially with runners on. Quentin was this way last year, not so much this year.

Thome and Dye are not good for this type of ball.

I still like another year of Thome at DH (mostly because he's an OBP guy), but I agree with the overall de-emphasis of offensive slugging. I'd like to see the closer role secured this winter (whether that be Jenks or somebody else) and would like another middle reliever brought in (doesn't have to be a big-money guy). I'd also like to see Alexei and Nix play winter ball this year. They both need to work out the "uh-ohs."

If we get bounce-back years from Quentin and Rios next year, I think that our offense will be decent. Strengthening the bullpen, strengthening the middle infield defense, and emphasizing moving runners along are key. If they can make progress there, this rotation will make the Sox dangerous next year.