Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

I've seen my share of 2010 threads recently to go along with many offseason ideas and wishes. Lets make this the official 2010 thread.

JOSE REYES-

I was thinking about how we could improve defensively and a name that intrigues me is Jose Reyes. The Mets were talking about possibly dealing him

, why not give them a call. Reyes would improve our defensive issues at SS and would be our leadoff hitter. He has 1 year left on his contract at 9.5 million and a 2011 option. Could an Alexie Ramirez centered package bring him over?

CARL CRAWFORD

If he's available go after him hard. I'm not sure what would interest Tampa however. (i think im on year 6 of wanting Crawford, so i doubt it could happen- but you never know.

BOBBY ABREU

Sign him up. Hopefully he doesn't want more than 8 million/ season. Abreu would be KW's perfect match as far as high OBP, high RBI producer and lefty AB to fill up the middle of the order.

Who is on your wishlist?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We would probably have a better shot at Hanley than Jose Reyes. The Mets shouldn't be trading any pieces of their core. They suck this year because they've been flattened by injuries, but get those guys healthy again and they're right back in the mix.

But of course the Phils are dangerous and that Braves 2010 staff should be sick. A healthy Hudson fronting the rotation alongside Jurrjens and a more experienced Hanson, plus Lowe and Javy essentially only having to be 4th and 5th starters? That's nasty.

The Marlins should just quit now and hold another firesale. The Nats should be in line for yet another #1 pick overall.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
Felix Hernandez

Kevin Youkalis

Dustin Pedroia

Miguel Cabrera

Victor Martinez

Bobby Abreu

Grady Sizemore

Carl Crawford

Andrew Bailey

Manny Ramirez

Justin Upton

Bj Upton

I think if KW were to obtain all of those guys, this team would compete.

Nah, Greg Walker would screw it up.

I don't think KW pulls off a big trade this offseason. More like gathering a few pieces and filling some holes. Not because the Sox don't need help (they do, and lots of it) but because he simply has no trade bait. Hermida can be had for next to nothing i'm guessing. Beyond that, probably some attempts at under the radar stuff like usual.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
he simply has no trade bait.

Please, we are made of filler. Players like Shelby and Ely are ideal package deal pieces. We're not going to blow anyone out of the water, but we can get solid mid-tier deals done .I like the idea of going after Ross/Hermida and Pinto/Tankersley from the Marlins. They have a pressing need to clear space for Maybin, and both can be had for a worthy price. It would be great to have a young, OPB-oriented, power bat, and a second lefty for the pen.

I think Bobby Abreu is the guy to try and get this winter. In my mind, he's the perfect replacement for Thome at DH. He brings the things you liked about Thome - the OBP and RBIs - while also bringing something Thome was obviously severely lacking, which is speed. And also like with Thome, he would help balance out what is a rather righty-heavy line-up at the moment. He's been one of those guys whom Kenny Williams has targeted in the past, and he seems to have a good rapport with fellow Venezeulan Ozzie Guillen. So in all material respects he just seems like he'd be a very good fit for the White Sox as the designated hitter for the next year or two.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
I think Bobby Abreu is the guy to try and get this winter. In my mind, he's the perfect replacement for Thome at DH. He brings the things you liked about Thome - the OBP and RBIs - while also bringing something Thome was obviously severely lacking, which is speed. And also like with Thome, he would help balance out what is a rather righty-heavy line-up at the moment. He's been one of those guys whom Kenny Williams has targeted in the past, and he seems to have a good rapport with fellow Venezeulan Ozzie Guillen. So in all material respects he just seems like he'd be a very good fit for the White Sox as the designated hitter for the next year or two.

Doubtful. The time to get him was last off season when he was dirt cheap and the Sox didn't get him. He had a great year and will want a big contract. Is he worth it? Probably. Will the Sox spend it? Doubtful.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
We would probably have a better shot at Hanley than Jose Reyes. The Mets shouldn't be trading any pieces of their core. They suck this year because they've been flattened by injuries, but get those guys healthy again and they're right back in the mix.

But of course the Phils are dangerous and that Braves 2010 staff should be sick. A healthy Hudson fronting the rotation alongside Jurrjens and a more experienced Hanson, plus Lowe and Javy essentially only having to be 4th and 5th starters? That's nasty.

The Marlins should just quit now and hold another firesale. The Nats should be in line for yet another #1 pick overall.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Mets traded Reyes. They are not nearly as enamored with him as they once were. David Wright is Mr. Met now. In fact, I'd go so far to say it's 50/50 he's their opening day SS.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Doubtful. The time to get him was last off season when he was dirt cheap and the Sox didn't get him. He had a great year and will want a big contract. Is he worth it? Probably. Will the Sox spend it? Doubtful.

He was great in 2008, too, and wanted a big contract last winter as well, but didn't get it. Now he's a year older. There's no doubt he'll get a better deal than the one he got with the Angels, but I don't think it'll be the kind to break the bank.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Please, we are made of filler. Players like Shelby and Ely are ideal package deal pieces. We're not going to blow anyone out of the water, but we can get solid mid-tier deals done .I like the idea of going after Ross/Hermida and Pinto/Tankersley from the Marlins. They have a pressing need to clear space for Maybin, and both can be had for a worthy price. It would be great to have a young, OPB-oriented, power bat, and a second lefty for the pen.

That was my argument - that they didn't have the bullets for the pie-in-the-sky trades usually proposed in threads like this. The Sox have plenty of mid-range fodder to pick up bullpen arms and comeback candidates like Hermida. I've been advocating trading for him for a while. Guys like Reyes or Upton, though, are probably out of Kenny's reach.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
That was my argument - that they didn't have the bullets for the pie-in-the-sky trades usually proposed in threads like this. The Sox have plenty of mid-range fodder to pick up bullpen arms and comeback candidates like Hermida. I've been advocating trading for him for a while. Guys like Reyes or Upton, though, are probably out of Kenny's reach.

Ah, well. Happy we're in agreement. :lolhitting