Vazquez and Swisher Redux

elrockinMT

Phil Rogers article suggests that KW made some wrong moves in trading Vazquez and Swisher and was only too quick to dump them and their salaries. Regardless of the return with a couple of prospects-I think Flowers being #1- Vazquez and Swisher could have helped us win this thing. Sisher hit the hokes and drove in the runs and had ahigh on base percentage, but maybe his dugout antics didn't fit well with the team as a whole?I also heard last night on the MLB TV game aalysis with Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams and the other partner (name?) that Vazquez was not handled right by Ozzie and that Bobbie Cox' demeanor and skills with handling pitchers is what turned Javy around this season to a 15-9 wiiner. Obviosuly many trains of thought here, but something to think about. Hopefully we don't see wholesale dumpig of players because of supposed "attitude issues."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Phil Rogers article suggests that KW made some wrong moves in trading Vazquez and Swisher and was only too quick to dump them and their salaries. Regardless of the return with a couple of prospects-I think Flowers being #1- Vazquez and Swisher could have helped us win this thing. Sisher hit the hokes and drove in the runs and had ahigh on base percentage, but maybe his dugout antics didn't fit well with the team as a whole?I also heard last night on the MLB TV game aalysis with Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams and the other partner (name?) that Vazquez was not handled right by Ozzie and that Bobbie Cox' demeanor and skills with handling pitchers is what turned Javy around this season to a 15-9 wiiner. Obviosuly many trains of thought here, but something to think about. Hopefully we don't see wholesale dumpig of players because of supposed "attitude issues."

Morons. Ozzie handled Javy just right when he had that great 2007 season while WE WERE OUT OF CONTENTION ALL YEAR.

I now hate Phil Rogers even more. Just let the Swisher s*** die already. If we don't trade those guys then we don't have Rios, Peavy, Pods, Viciedo, Flowers, and Nunez. Yeah, I'll take that collection of talent over Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)

Essentially the Sox traded Vazquez for Flowers and with that money free'd up- it gave KW the flexibility to trade for Peavy. Who would you rather have, Peavy or Javy? We all know Javy's inability to pitch in big games- trading him was the right thing to do.

As far as Swisher goes, Ozzie and him just didn't get a long and that is essentially the reason KW traded him. He had a down year offensively and he couldn't play the OF the way they wanted him to. Swisher's only value to this team was his defensive ability at 1B. KW wasn't going to spend 7-8 mil/season on a guy to backup PK. Its a shame we couldn't get more in return for Swish but in the long term scheme of things- this deal makes sense.

I have been very pleased with KW's deals for the most part in 2009. Granit we missed the playoffs but we had the oppurtunity to see many young players play on a consistent basis. Beckham and Getz both have bright futures, Richard and Poreda pitched well enough for us to net Peavy and we brought over Rios for nothing. This team going into 2010 has the making of a very good team.

Who will KW trade this winter? Two guys who can bring a lot back would be Alexei and Jenks. This should be a fun winter!

The reason vazquez is doing good this year is because hes in the national league and his team has never really been thought of as a contener and hes playing in a pitchers ballpark. its dumb to think he would have turned it around here. good stuff but he needs to develop some balls

The reason vazquez is doing good this year is because hes in the national league and his team has never really been thought of as a contener and hes playing in a pitchers ballpark. its dumb to think he would have turned it around here. good stuff but he needs to develop some balls

NL east has more runs scored than the AL central.

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Morons. Ozzie handled Javy just right when he had that great 2007 season while WE WERE OUT OF CONTENTION ALL YEAR.

I now hate Phil Rogers even more. Just let the Swisher s*** die already. If we don't trade those guys then we don't have Rios, Peavy, Pods, Viciedo, Flowers, and Nunez. Yeah, I'll take that collection of talent over Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez.

I'm with you.

Stop living in the past....WE NEVER SHOULD OF TRADED JOSH FOGG!

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Phil Rogers is a f***ing moron.

At the very least, he obviously cares more about incorporating controversy into his articles than thoughtful baseball writing. One would have to be inhumanly stupid to honestly believe that dealing Peavy for Zambrano would be a good idea for the Sox. I'll give Phil the benefit of the doubt and conclude that he's working hard to pander to the Jay Hineybird demographic.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Swisher trade in retrospect shouldn't have been made. Honestly, KW, from what it sounds like, is going to look for a guy like him who they could swap out at DH and place in different positions such as OF/1B/DH, he has a good OBP and has good enough power.

Swisher was a bad fit on this team, period. Ozzie and (allegedly) most of the veterans thought that he was a jackass. And when Swish slumped, he sulked and wouldn't listen to Walker. Don't automatically assume that Swish would've kicked ass at the plate had he been on the Sox this year. He didn't like playing here and the other people in the dugout didn't want here either. It's difficult to be productive in a work environment like that.

Edited by WCSox

Swisher was a bad fit on this team, period. Ozzie and (allegedly) most of the veterans thought that he was a jackass. And when Swish slumped, he sulked and wouldn't listen to Walker. Don't automatically assume that Swish would've kicked ass at the plate had he been on the Sox this year. He didn't like playing here and the other people in the dugout didn't want here either. It's difficult to be productive in a work environment like that.

Link to the veterans complaining about him. I know Ozzie didn't like him, but I don't recall any teammates ripping on him.

I thought Swisher's contract was a bargain??? It was when we acquired him, but then it became an albatross after a single below average season from him. Then some how it's a good thing that we acquired an overpaid prick in Rios and an expensive Jake Peavy (He's good, but he is paid well above market average.)

Is it possible to think all that cash now tied up with those two will force us to possibly trade Jenks, Konerko, and maybe in a couple years, Danks and/or Quentin because we can't fit them in our budget? If that happens will people tie those with the Rios waiver claim or Peavy trade?

Doubt it.

Exactly. It was a disaster. There's no logical excuse for the return we got, not to mention for trading the guy in the 1st place. Probably the worst move KW has ever made.

I'll never rip KW for trading that bum.

KW got what he could for him. How do you know Swish ever would have played well in a Sox uniform? If he's doing better in New York, good for him. He sucked in Chicago and apparently was a cancer as well.