Sox vs. Tigers, Peavy vs. Jackson 10/2/09 6:05pm CSN/ESPN/MLB

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
He still should have been shut down (everybody knew how good he is), but it was enjoyable to watch him pitch a few times in our uniform and get a preview of what he'll give us next year.

But nobody knew how healthy he was. The ankle and the line drive he took. We now know for certain that those are non-issues and he's 100%.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
No way. As long as he was healthy enough to pitch only positives could have come from this. He'll be fired up, the team will be fired up and the fanbase will be fired up about Jake Peavy 2010. If he didn't pitch, it would all still be question marks. There's people on this board who still want Buerhle pitching opening day. Peavy is the best pitcher they have had in a long time.

Peavy should for sure be pitching on opening day, although I don't think anybody being "fired up" has any relevance at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
But nobody knew how healthy he was. The ankle and the line drive he took. We now know for certain that those are non-issues and he's 100%.

That's true, and it's one less concern this winter.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Its kinda fun seeing the Sox effect the outcome between the two winning the division.

I think the twins are/did win. Does that make them .5 back now?

Perhaps not "fun". Surely more interesting.

Edited by knightd1

ALCS: whoever wins the tiebreaker gets slaughtered by the Yankees in a 3-game sweep by a combined score of 46-2

I don't share that sentiment. I prefer Detroit or the Twins to beat the Yankees.

Why would you root against our division? Just curious.

I think it'd be funny to see the Yankees go down. Their owner would implode and all their fans.

Go Twinks/Tigers.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Love me some Buehrle, but Peavy is the hands down ace of this staff, and deserves the Opening Day start, IMO.

He gets to earn that next year once he pitches us to the playoffs. Mark is my guy next year until he gets outpitched.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Does it bother anyone that we may help the Twins win the division?

No. Think about it. This is a double whammy. If we sweep the Tigers out of the playoffs, the Twins are going to be destoyed. Hell, if we push the Tigers to use Verlander they're f***ed in the playoffs too. Think about this, there's a chance that they could do a game 163 against the Twins too. In that case, they'd have to use Jackson! Their pitcher in game #1 would be Rick Porcello.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
He gets to earn that next year once he pitches us to the playoffs. Mark is my guy next year until he gets outpitched.

Lets pass on the sentimental stuff. Mark has a lot of wear and tear on his arm, and seemed to tire a bit down the road. Moving him down in the rotation gives his arm rest. Peavy is our best pitcher.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buerhle, Garcia/Hudson

You put Floyd between Danks and Buerhle to break up the lefties.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
Lets pass on the sentimental stuff. Mark has a lot of wear and tear on his arm, and seemed to tire a bit down the road. Moving him down in the rotation gives his arm rest. Peavy is our best pitcher.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buerhle, Garcia/Hudson

You put Floyd between Danks and Buerhle to break up the lefties.

Bah, putting MB on opening day isn't going to add any starts to him. I like MB, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia as my rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
For emotional reasons...frankly, no. He gets day 2.

Why? Peavy is pretty inarguably a better pitcher tham Mark Buehrle (although who pitches game 1 and who pitches game 2 doesn't really mean a whole lot in April, only in October).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
Love me some Buehrle, but Peavy is the hands down ace of this staff, and deserves the Opening Day start, IMO.

Agreed 100% Kinda crazy going to Tiger boards and even some of their fans saying our rotation will be sick next year. Makes me giddy.

Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks-Garcia/Hudson.. Daymn! Though I still gotta hope Floyd's hip (been a 2 year thing now) isn't as serious as some fear.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Bah, putting MB on opening day isn't going to add any starts to him. I like MB, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia as my rotation.

I rather start our best pitcher on game 1. Not the sentimental favorite. Mark Buerhle is not the best pitcher out of that group next year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Why? Peavy is pretty inarguably a better pitcher tham Mark Buehrle (although who pitches game 1 and who pitches game 2 doesn't really mean a whole lot in April, only in October).

Exactly. It doesn't mean a lot, so give it out for emotional reasons.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)

I hate giving out things for emotional reasons, as I think emotions and being fired up and all that crap are overrated anyways. Start the best guy in game 1 (although they'll probably start Buehrle game 1 and I won't really care since it doesn't matter anyways).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)

Might as well bring Pods and JD back next year, keep Bobby, trade for Cotts again, and tell Iguchi to come back to the states while were at it. I'm still pretty emotionally attached to those guys as well. I love Buehrle, I love Pauly, but 2005 is over. Hell I wish I was 18 again and graduating H.S. at that year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
I hate giving out things for emotional reasons, as I think emotions and being fired up and all that crap are overrated anyways. Start the best guy in game 1 (although they'll probably start Buehrle game 1 and I won't really care since it doesn't matter anyways).

How about the more logical reason. Peavy would face both the Indians and the Twins in week one, and then follow up facing the Indians the following week. Maximizing our best pitcher against division rivals is the best way to win the division.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
How about the more logical reason. Peavy would face both the Indians and the Twins in week one, and then follow up facing the Indians the following week. Maximizing our best pitcher against division rivals is the best way to win the division.

That's a good point too (I haven't even looked at the 2010 schedule yet, so I will take your word for it).