2009: A Big Step To Our Next World Series

Marty34

Floyd and Danks continuing to progress were the most important things going into this season. I thought it was important for one of them to turn into a legit #1 for the Sox to be a championship contender, but then KW traded for Peavy and well that speaks for itself . . .

With Beckham being a fixture at third for the next 10 years and Ramirez improvement defensively at short the in the second half I think the Sox are closer to contending than anyone thinks. I can't wait for spring training.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Alot of positives to the season the but season overall was a failure due to the weakness of the division and the talent that didnt play up to its abilities this year.

But the talent that didn't show up wasn't really a part to our next championship team anyway. Quentin should get a pass for his injury. Rios though is a key of course, but I think he'll bounce back to his career norms which will be enough with his defense in center.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Floyd and Danks continuing to progress were the most important things going into this season. I thought it was important for one of them to turn into a legit #1 for the Sox to be a championship contender, but then KW traded for Peavy and well that speaks for itself . . .

With Beckham being a fixture at third for the next 10 years and Ramirez improvement defensively at short the in the second half I think the Sox are closer to contending than anyone thinks. I can't wait for spring training.

On top of all that we broke in Getz and Nix into the full time mix and go see what those guys are really all about. I was thoroughly pleased with Getz; played great D, stole bases, hit for average. It would be nice to see him add a bit of power and extra base hits, but hes still very young. When it comes to Nix he played ok D, I was a little dissapointed due to the fact that he was regarded as a + glove man, but hes still young too. Nix has a bit more pop in his bat, but struck out way too much and had trouble hitting for average. It was good to break these guys in though, most likely one of them will turn into an everyday starter for years to come.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
On top of all that we broke in Getz and Nix into the full time mix and go see what those guys are really all about. I was thoroughly pleased with Getz; played great D, stole bases, hit for average. It would be nice to see him add a bit of power and extra base hits, but hes still very young. When it comes to Nix he played ok D, I was a little dissapointed due to the fact that he was regarded as a + glove man, but hes still young too. Nix has a bit more pop in his bat, but struck out way too much and had trouble hitting for average. It was good to break these guys in though, most likely one of them will turn into an everyday starter for years to come.

Nix was far superior to Getz on defense.

Edited by League

Well, most likely we will have the 14th pick protected, possibly 13th depending on how the Brewers finish it off, so if we want to pick up a nice type A FA, we are in a good position to do so. Interesting thing is that Figgins is currently a Type B with Polanco right above him being a Type A. I wanna see how that plays out these final 2 games.

I don't know if Quentin gets a pass for his injury because I don't know if we'll ever be able to rely on Carlos Quentin the way we could, say, Dye for 05-08. Yeah, he got up to 20 hrs. But his average and lack of RBIs really worried me. I'm not sure I'm confident he should be relied on as a major piece to our future.

Saying this season was a success is ridiculous.

I won't go through all the holes in our team that must be filled to even win our crappy division next season. You all konw them.

We finished third in a horses*** division. It was not a successful season.

We had one winning surge to speak of ... one the entire mediocre season.

True, Bolt, but with all the veterans we have on the team and the addition of Rios with plenty of time left in the season, with Peavy ready to lead us to some important Sept. victories and anchor the postseason rotation we should have won this horses*** division. I don't think the season was a success.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
True, Bolt, but with all the veterans we have on the team and the addition of Rios with plenty of time left in the season, with Peavy ready to lead us to some important Sept. victories and anchor the postseason rotation we should have won this horses*** division. I don't think the season was a success.

I like where we're set up for next year, but I think this team dramatically underplayed its talent level, especially offensively, and thus, I can't consider missing the playoffs a success.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
I like where we're set up for next year, but I think this team dramatically underplayed its talent level, especially offensively, and thus, I can't consider missing the playoffs a success.

Heck, just a step up defensively could be worth 5-10 games next year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)

If Jenks and Fernando Rodney switched teams the Sox win the division even as bad as they played this year.

The point though isn't to win a bad division, it's to be able to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox and in my view the Sox took a huge step toward that with the acquisition of Peavy and the performances of Beckham, Danks, and Floyd. Buehrle, Konerko, and A.J. will more than likely regress some, but that could be offset by improvements by Rios and Quentin. It should not be difficult to find an upgrade for Dye to go along with a competent DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)

I seem to recall a thread where making the playoffs this year wouldn't even have been considered a success by many here since it's a weak division and many couldn't foresee advancing beyond the 1st round any way.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
IF we sweep the Tigers, i can't help but leave with a good taste in my mouth. Yeah, it sucks about the playoffs. but we're making it next year. Of that, i have no doubt in my mind.

I feel weird thinking about this, but I almost want tp lose to Detroit tomorrow so Minny doesn't make the playoffs. This is due in part to the fact that I can't bear to see the Twinks with even a chance to win a WS, but also because I believe Detroit is a better team and has a better chance at winning the WS... part of me would like to see the AL Central do well in the playoffs to justify our poor season. My thinking is that if the division came down to one final game and the winner of the Central plays well in the playoffs, it shows that maybe the Central just beat up on each other (I know in reality that the division was very weak but wishful thinking). Bottom line, I want the division to have a good showing in the playoffs but I don't want the Twins to do anything. And if the Central representative does fair well in the playoffs, they'll obviously be set up to be considered highly for contention next year which will make it all the better when we beat them (Detroit/Minn.) to win the division next year. And yes I'm aware that pre-season rankings don't have any real affect on the season (see: Cleveland) but it's all just a way to feel better about the team.

Dude. The Twins will be DESTROYED by the Yankees. Literally, they're going to have their souls eaten. Their will be nothing left of the Metrodome, because Texiera will blow a f***ing hole in it! Need i go on? This is wonderful. Our team's winning, and we're showing all the crucal elements for winning next year.

If Jenks and Fernando Rodney switched teams the Sox win the division even as bad as they played this year.

I can't believe you are pinning this on Jenks.

The set up men were way bigger goats than Jenks. And the hitting was horribly non clutch at times, especially on that road trip from hell and the killer 6 games vs. the O's and Royals at home preceding that series. The hitting definitely deserves more criticism than Bobby.

Also, the defense deserves way more negativity than Bobby. And even my man Jermaine ...he's a bigger goat than Bobby.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
I feel weird thinking about this, but I almost want tp lose to Detroit tomorrow so Minny doesn't make the playoffs. This is due in part to the fact that I can't bear to see the Twinks with even a chance to win a WS, but also because I believe Detroit is a better team and has a better chance at winning the WS... part of me would like to see the AL Central do well in the playoffs to justify our poor season. My thinking is that if the division came down to one final game and the winner of the Central plays well in the playoffs, it shows that maybe the Central just beat up on each other (I know in reality that the division was very weak but wishful thinking). Bottom line, I want the division to have a good showing in the playoffs but I don't want the Twins to do anything. And if the Central representative does fair well in the playoffs, they'll obviously be set up to be considered highly for contention next year which will make it all the better when we beat them (Detroit/Minn.) to win the division next year. And yes I'm aware that pre-season rankings don't have any real affect on the season (see: Cleveland) but it's all just a way to feel better about the team.

I never want to lose...and to be quite honest...I don't like either team. It makes no difference who wins it IMO. But to be honest if Detroit loses tomorrow and Minny wins...I have a feeling the funk of blowing this will carry over with the Tigers for quite a while. What really sucks is with the way the staff is throwing...we're just as good if not better than either of those teams. If the O could have gotten their heads outta their asses along with the bullpen we'd be looking forward to starting the playoffs next week. What a wasted season in my eyes...

It makes no difference who wins it IMO. But to be honest if Detroit loses tomorrow and Minny wins...I have a feeling the funk of blowing this will carry over with the Tigers for quite a while.

I agree Wanne, that's why I'm predicting Detroit survives. I think it really would carry over for them. Also, our starters do indeed appear to be dominant as the season ends. That's why so many of us were disappointed we tanked. We really look like a team that pitching wise could have done some possible damage in the postseason. Great post.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)

No, no they don't. If any member of our team hit in the second half, and any member of our bulpen outside of Thorton pitched well in the 2nd half we win the division. Blaming it on Jenks is pure stupidity.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
No, no they don't. If any member of our team hit in the second half, and any member of our bulpen outside of Thorton pitched well in the 2nd half we win the division. Blaming it on Jenks is pure stupidity.

Thornton had a 3.00 2nd Half ERA

Dotel 3.25

Pena 3.44

Carrasco 3.72

Jenks and Linebrink were the worst, with Linebrink by far the most pathetic. Jenks was about as good as Randy Williams in the 2nd half all things considered.

We also were the 2nd best in the AL for team ERA. This season is totally on the offense.. when is the last time we didn't have someone hit 30 HR? Were prolly not even gonna have a player with over 90 RBI.