2009: A Big Step To Our Next World Series

Marty34

Throw out the 6 earned Freddy was charged with in his last 1 1/3 against Detroit last Saturday and his ERA is 3.46. I don't think there is many that thought he would perform anywhere near that level with his 84 MPH cutters. For $1 million, he's a no-brainer to return.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
This is due in part to the fact that I can't bear to see the Twinks with even a chance to win a WS, but also because I believe Detroit is a better team and has a better chance at winning the WS

Minnesota has a better offense and defense than Detriot. Since adding Duensing to the rotation, MIN's starting and relief pitching has been better as well. The Twins have overcome more injuries. After yesterday's loss to us, the Tigers have now scored less runs than they've given up on the season. I don't want to see Detroit go to the postseason because they don't deserve it

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
I can't believe you are pinning this on Jenks.

The set up men were way bigger goats than Jenks. And the hitting was horribly non clutch at times, especially on that road trip from hell and the killer 6 games vs. the O's and Royals at home preceding that series. The hitting definitely deserves more criticism than Bobby.

Also, the defense deserves way more negativity than Bobby. And even my man Jermaine ...he's a bigger goat than Bobby.

Jenks had an extremely soft 29 saves, check the game logs. On top of that, he only converted 83% of his save opportunities. Considering that Jenks is 28 he was counted on to be part of the core of this year's team. I'm putting the largest single share of player blame on him.

We came into this season with alot riding on Fields, Wise, Contreras and Colon. Not to mention aging veterans like Dye and Thome. The team is now younger and we have a legit #1 pitcher with Peavy. If a couple bullpen arms can turn it around and Quentin rebounds then I think we are going to have a studly team.

I had the Sox down for 90 wins.

http://www.fan-exchange.com/mlb/standingsp...sp?franchid=CHW

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
Throw out the 6 earned Freddy was charged with in his last 1 1/3 against Detroit last Saturday and his ERA is 3.46. I don't think there is many that thought he would perform anywhere near that level with his 84 MPH cutters. For $1 million, he's a no-brainer to return.

Unless he is injured, he is our 5th starter. Let Hudson go through a full spring training with the big club, and let him go down to Charlotte to work on his third pitch. Call him up if Garcia falters or is injured. There is no need to rush this kid if this is what we are getting from Freddy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Unless you think his future is in the pen, he needs the innings to work on that third and maybe fourth pitch.

Really? That's been your impression of him? I've sort of gotten the feeling that he might well be better served by facing big league hitters, his secondary stuff already seems almost there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Really? That's been your impression of him? I've sort of gotten the feeling that he might well be better served by facing big league hitters, his secondary stuff already seems almost there.

He FLEW threw our system, and when he got here, he started walking a lot of guys. I want to make sure that his control is a bit finer, personally. If we didn't have Garcia as a cheap option, I wouldn't mind Hudson starting here, but right now I think it would be better in the long run for him to get his innings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
He FLEW threw our system, and when he got here, he started walking a lot of guys. I want to make sure that his control is a bit finer, personally. If we didn't have Garcia as a cheap option, I wouldn't mind Hudson starting here, but right now I think it would be better in the long run for him to get his innings.

To me there's a big difference between saying that a guy needs to work on his control and a guy needs to work on his 3rd/4th pitches. That's why I noted that. Just about everyone who comes up from the minors throwing less than 99 needs to work on his control; pitchers in the majors know how to take stuff around the corners.

Garcia def. should have the #5 slot barring injury, and Hudson should be somehow considered the #6 guy, but I'm much less certain with him that "Getting his innings" is as much of a priority as for other pitcher (i.e. Poreda) who genuinely needed to work on another pitch. I could live with him in the Pen if that's where they wanted him.

I love the idea of Hudson coming out of the pen. IMO he's already a better bet than Linebrink and Pena, and aside from Thornton and Bobby Jenks (if we keep him) I can't think of anyone else in our organization right now that I'd trust more out of the bullpen than Danny Hudson. The kid has a good fastball and he throws it for good strikes consistently down in the zone. If Hudson can become an above-average setup man, which I definitely think he can, then our team just got a whole lot better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

He had a couple high-walk outings in Charlotte too. It has been a long season for him and he's constantly been under the pressure that comes from promotion after promotion. You can see he's got the control, the composure, and the stuff to get it done up here. I have no lack of faith in him all.

As far as getting innings, why? If he can help the 2010 Sox then isn't that better than helping the 2011 Sox? It's not like Hudson won't be able to work on things during side sessions while in the pen, and being there actually gives him an even better shot in the future because he'll get to know MLB hitters that way. Besides, it's not like Hudson can't continue to improve the consistency of his secondary stuff as a fulltime starter in 2011. It's not like he's going to lose anything in the meantime.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
As far as getting innings, why? If he can help the 2010 Sox then isn't that better than helping the 2011 Sox? It's not like Hudson won't be able to work on things during side sessions while in the pen, and being there actually gives him an even better shot in the future because he'll get to know MLB hitters that way. Besides, it's not like Hudson can't continue to improve the consistency of his secondary stuff as a fulltime starter in 2011. It's not like he's going to lose anything in the meantime.

Depends...we could potentially buy another season before he hits FA if we start him in the minors next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Depends...we could potentially buy another season before he hits FA if we start him in the minors next year.

Who gives a s*** about that stuff though? f*** his future arb status and all that stuff, that garbage is for penny-pinchers like the Pirates and Rays. If Hudson gives us a better chance to win in 2010 then he needs to be here, and I think he will be here unless he's traded.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Who gives a s*** about that stuff though? f*** his future arb status and all that stuff, that garbage is for penny-pinchers like the Pirates and Rays. If Hudson gives us a better chance to win in 2010 then he needs to be here, and I think he will be here unless he's traded.

You don't think the Super-2 deadline on June 1 was a reason why Gordon Beckham showed up on June 3rd?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
You don't think the Super-2 deadline on June 1 was a reason why Gordon Beckham showed up on June 3rd?

I think the reason Beckham showed up when he did is because Fields was horrible. Beckham came very close to making the team out of Spring Training as our starting 2B. That last 1 week or so where he really started to slump is what hurt his chances. Maybe eligibility played a very small factor somewhere, like calling him up on June 3rd instead of May 27th or something, but I actually doubt all that. I think the Sox wanted to give Fields two months and they did that. Plus they wanted Beckham to make a stop at Charlotte since apparently Buddy Bell is pushing the idea that guys coming up from AA need to make a stop in AAA first. Every minor leaguer we've called up this year has gone through that (Beckham, Flowers, Hudson, Nunez, etc.)

The starting rotation looks extremely promising. However, it's hard for me to get terribly excited about next season when in the second half, after we'd assembled the starting lineup that figures to come very close to what we put on the field next season, we were 23rd in runs scored, 26th in batting average, 23rd in on base percentage, and 24th in slugging. This team badly needs to add a few big bats in the off season but probably will not because most of the lineup is set and there doesn't appear to be much money to throw around. On top of that, the bullpen imploded in the second half and needs serious help.

I agree with Jeremy.

I don't get all the optimism. Even in our next to last game, Johnny got hit.

It's not like these starters are assured invincible status. I hope KW approaches the offseason like he has a mediocre at best baseball team and tries to fix it the best he can.

We're not that good, folks.

I don't know how he is gonna do it, but, if you think KW is going to bring back the same offense you are mistaken. After repeatedly saying how disappointing this season was and how he will make changes, I don't see any way that KW doesn't make a solid effort at changing things on offense.

I wouldn't get down on our offensive potential for 2010 just yet, there's no way KW goes into next season with the same lineup..

It’s difficult for me to temper my disappointment with how this year went, with my enthusiasm for next year, but I

ll try to do my best. Losing sucks. It always has, and it always will, but I think it will prove to be worth it. Because with losing came Beckham, Peavy, Rios, Flowers, Hudson, hell even, Nix and Getz. With losing came another year of development for Q, Alexei, Danks, and Floyd, and for all these reasons with losing comes hope. On paper we're going to be the best team in this division. The White Sox are never going to make it easy on us, but it sure as hell is going to be fun.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I agree that this year was a disappointment, but I also think the Sox are set up for success next year. We have a truly great rotation in Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd. And Peavy was absolutely outstanding. To me at least, he pitched better than I thought he would in his three starts. Getz has shown he is ready for the bigs, and Nix is a nice back-up. Beckham...well, he's Beckham. Rios is the CFer we've needed (now let's hope he starts hitting).

The bullpen needs a lot of work, and I suspect it will look quite different next year. The fifth starter will be an interesting thing to watch. Garcia, Torres, and Hudson will most likely be the candidates for that battle. I really want to see Kotsay back. He's a great veteran presence and a nice stick off the bench.

Aside from the bullpen, I think one of the corner outfield positions and DH are the only other question marks. Without KW making any huge moves, I see a lineup as such:

Pods - LF

Beckham - 3rd

Quentin - RF

Konerko - 1st

Thome/Dye/? - DH

AJ - C

Rios - CF

Alexei - SS

Getz - 2nd

But, looking at that, there's not much change. I just don't see any major moves being made that will drastically change the lineup. However, if a first baseman is acquired, then Konerko becomes the DH and Dye is gone.

Regardless, the off season should be interesting.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I was thoroughly pleased with Getz; played great D, stole bases, hit for average. It would be nice to see him add a bit of power and extra base hits, but hes still very young. When it comes to Nix he played ok D, I was a little dissapointed due to the fact that he was regarded as a + glove man, but hes still young too. Nix has a bit more pop in his bat, but struck out way too much and had trouble hitting for average. It was good to break these guys in though, most likely one of them will turn into an everyday starter for years to come.

Are we still talking about Chris Getz and Jayson Nix here? I'm consistently shocked by White Sox fan's ability to give Chris Getz the benefit of the doubt. That his OPB will show MASSIVE improvement, that his average will dramatically raise, that he will somehow develop power, and play league-aver defense. This isn’t Chris Getz. Not yet, maybe someday, but not yet. It’s a lot to swallow. The platoon works, because Nix does have power, he does have a good eye, and he does play stellar D. but given full-playing time both will be exposed, unless they make huge leaps and bounds. And honestly, Getz has a much bigger leap to take then Nix.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
Are we still talking about Chris Getz and Jayson Nix here? I'm consistently shocked by White Sox fan's ability to give Chris Getz the benefit of the doubt. That his OPB will show MASSIVE improvement, that his average will dramatically raise, that he will somehow develop power, and play league-aver defense. This isn’t Chris Getz. Not yet, maybe someday, but not yet. It’s a lot to swallow. The platoon works, because Nix does have power, he does have a good eye, and he does play stellar D. but given full-playing time both will be exposed, unless they make huge leaps and bounds. And honestly, Getz has a much bigger leap to take then Nix.

I'll be honest and say that I probably didn't see enough of Getz and Nix to express an educated opinion. But, I though that they were both pretty solid at D, but Getz was a better hitter. Nix has the power that Getz lacks, but Getz seemed better at getting on base. Even though I would defer to others' opinions about the defense, I think Getz is the starting 2nd baseman next year, and Nix is on the bench.