10/3 Sox @ Det 6:05pm CSN

knightni

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Not Ozzie's best effort in putting him back out there for the 8th IMO

Why not? He was cruising.

However, Garcia's last start showed that he still has the power to manipulate Guillen into having him pitch another inning. That's what irritated me about his time in Chicago. He could give up a run, get out of a bases loaded jam, have 100 pitches, and would go out the next inning only to give up a few runs.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
It's official: Magglio Ordonez under contract for $18M in 2010

Detroit -- In his third at-bat Tuesday evening, Magglio Ordonez reached on an error by Royals third baseman Alex Gordon.

Oh, yeah, and he also guaranteed himself $18 million next year.

Batting in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Tigers right fielder picked up his 1,080th plate appearance since the start of 2008 -- and that's the magic number that automatically triggers his hefty option for 2010.

Ordonez signed with the Tigers ahead of the 2005 season for five years and $75 million guaranteed. And that deal paid dividends, for certain: Ordonez hit the walk-off homer that sent the Tigers to the World Series in 2006, then hit .363 to win a batting title in 2007.

That vesting option, however, has been a source of great debate this season as Ordonez, 35, hasn't looked like the All-Star of old.

Ordonez had an extremely rough time in the first half, batting just .260 before the break -- a slump that led manager Jim Leyland to announce in early July that Ordonez would only platoon with Clete Thomas, playing only when the Tigers were facing a left-hander.

That situation didn't last, and that's Ordonez's doing. Entering Tuesday night's game, his average was up to .296 thanks to a hot stretch in which he batted .402 since the beginning of August. But there's actually a sobering reality to that .402 -- 34 of the 43 hits were singles.

The power and run production simply haven't returned as the average has climbed. While he's up to .296, he has just seven home runs and 40 RBIs. The last time Ordonez had a completely healthy season in which he didn't hit at least 21 homers and 99 RBIs was 1998, his rookie season with the White Sox.

The Tigers likely will be on Ordonez Watch next season, too. He's up to 457 plate appearances for this season and if he reaches 1,080 between this year and next, he'll automatically activate a $15 million deal for 2011.

I bet Jim Hendry is jealous that he couldn't make such a ridiculous deal.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Despite that inning right there, Pena scares me. Big. I don't look forward to him on the mound next year in the 7th or 8th Inning with the lead for sure

Some fans have him penned as the closer for 2010. I still put him in the McDougal category.

Pena has inherited 26 runners and allowed 14 of them to score since joining the Sox. That's Mike Jackson reincarnated.

Correcting spelling of names is annoying, isn't it?

There's a difference between intentionally making a joke out of someone's name and a World Series hero's name incorrectly. 2005!!1!!! Hall robbed this organization blind.

I think it's really sad to still see "Buerhle" around here considering he's a cornerstone of our franchise and has been here for nearly a decade. It's no different then when Sox fans would rip on Cubs fans for talking about "Kerry Woods" or owning a Greg Maddox jersey.

That's what happens when you destroy a shoulder.

He didn't have any power before he came here either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4550

Looks like Carlos is back on track. If he were playing at the Cell, he'd be 3-3 with two home runs and a double. His OPS is back around the .785 range. Good to see him end the season on such a high note.

Looks like Carlos is back on track. If he were playing at the Cell, he'd be 3-3 with two home runs and a double. His OPS is back around the .785 range. Good to see him end the season on such a high note.

He's also been HBP twice.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
Only the Tigers can lose to a team who left about 50 men on base and can't score more than a run with the bases loaded and less than two outs.

I guess the Tigers lineup are tops in strike outs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
He was going to get lucky sometime. He's had one solid hit today.

Hey at this point I'm sure he'll take it. Good to end the season on a good note. His speed/stealing bases will be sure welcomed next season as well.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Hey at this point I'm sure he'll take it. Good to end the season on a good note. His speed/stealing bases will be sure welcomed next season as well.

When he's going as bad as he has, he should take anything. Maybe it can reinstall some confidence.

That was strike 4 on Guillen right there...

Ryan Raburn has some really good numbers, why doesn't he start? It makes no sense. Aubrey Huff is garbage.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Well Minny, we're doing our part. You want the game tomorrow you gotta give us something in return. We want chunks of the dome.

Or let Hawk blow it up in the near future.