Draft pick

BamaDoc

It is all but decided. Twelve teams with a worse record. Tied with Milwaukee at 79-82 so it looks like pick 13 or 14. Someone failed to sign their high first round pick so that may bump us back one. So, no worse than 15th which should be protected first rounder if we sign a type A free agent. Correct?

Someone posted an interview with Laumann on the FutureSox forum and he says the Sox are going to go after pitching, pitching, and more pitching. I love to hear that. We need it.

Bring in another good group of SP prospects (not signing Justin Jones hurts here) and put them behind the wave of guys going from Kanny to W-S next year, then do the same in 2011 and so on. It would be nice to get a couple college arms who could touch Kanny at the end of the season for a game or two if they sign early, because Holmberg, Heidenreich, and Upchurch will all probably start in Rookie ball next year. I dream of the day when the Sox have at least two pretty good, non-fringey SP prospects at every level from low-A to AAA.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Someone posted an interview with Laumann on the FutureSox forum and he says the Sox are going to go after pitching, pitching, and more pitching. I love to hear that. We need it.

Bring in another good group of SP prospects (not signing Justin Jones hurts here) and put them behind the wave of guys going from Kanny to W-S next year, then do the same in 2011 and so on. It would be nice to get a couple college arms who could touch Kanny at the end of the season for a game or two if they sign early, because Holmberg, Heidenreich, and Upchurch will all probably start in Rookie ball next year. I dream of the day when the Sox have at least two pretty good, non-fringey SP prospects at every level from low-A to AAA.

Realistically I can see us picking a good looking lefty pitcher (which we are lacking, though we need pitching entirely) with our pick if we find one we like. But if we pass on Ranuado if he falls to us, I'll be pissed (though I doubt he will).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Realistically I can see us picking a good looking lefty pitcher (which we are lacking, though we need pitching entirely) with our pick if we find one we like. But if we pass on Ranuado if he falls to us, I'll be pissed (though I doubt he will).

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...ame%3dmlb_draft

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
With the Pirates now spending money on Borass clients, probably not. But if he did we still wouldn't pick him.

Since we're talking about players who probably won't get to us anyway, I like the AJ Cole kid.

I like Cole as well, Bryce Bentz would be a perfect fit, but Seth Blair would be nice as well.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
I like Cole as well, Bryce Bentz would be a perfect fit, but Seth Blair would be nice as well.

I guess it will depend on who the Sox feel is the best available player since they'll be drafting so high, so we can only guess about that.

But I already know who it is I want in the second or third round:

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2009/09/22/2...chool-pitchers/

Jesse Biddle, LHP, 6-5, 225 (Germantown Friends HS, Philadelphia, PA)

FB 91-93, CB 73, CH 85: Power build, gets extension, live arm, FB run, projects.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp....aspx?ID=127889

Jesse Biddle is a 2010 LHP/OF with a 6'6'', 225 lb. frame from Philadelphia, PA who attends Germantown Friends HS. Outstanding physical athletic build, loose and long, still plenty of projection. Throws very easy, low effort out front, repeats very well from wind up. FB touched 91 mph in the dome, lots of velo projection. Big and soft CB with proper shape, can tighten up and add velocity to CB. Appeared less comfortable from stretch. Strongly resembles Andy Pettitte. Huge sky is the limit protential. Early draft possibilities. Excellent student, verbal to Oregon.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/high...text=lg&c=y

For most of yesterday afternoon, Jesse Biddle, a flame-throwing southpaw for Germantown Friends School, had two radar guns pointed in his direction. Next year, that number will be significantly higher.

The ever-improving Biddle, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound junior, showed why he could be selected in the 2010 amateur draft. One major-league regional scout on hand said his fastball was clocked at 91 m.p.h. in the seventh inning. Yes, the seventh inning.

"Yeah, by the time I hit the 100-pitch mark, I usually throw even harder," the 17-year-old said.

Mixing mostly a fastball (88 to 89 m.p.h. in the early going) and a curveball (in the upper-60-m.p.h. range), Biddle tossed a two-hitter and struck out 13 as the host Tigers blanked Friends' Central, 3-0, in a Friends Schools League game on their well-manicured diamond on School House Lane near Wissahickon Avenue.

Biddle, who recently committed to play at Oregon, threw 132 pitches, 78 for strikes. Slowed by early wildness, he gave up six walks.

It was during a two-month period last summer, while pitching for the Nor Cal Travel Ball organization, based in the San Francisco Bay area, that Biddle seriously began attracting the interest of major-league scouts and college coaches.

"The Nor Cal coaches really taught me how to be a pitcher," he said. "I've always been able to throw pretty hard. They taught me things like how to think like a pitcher - staying focused and having a plan on the mound."

Nor Cal counts among its alums such pros as Jimmy Rollins, Dontrelle Willis and Pat Burrell.

"Jesse came back a much better player," David Biddle, his father, said. "They used him only as a pitcher, as their lefthanded ace, which helped with his development."

Jesse Biddle, whose fastball has peaked at 92 m.p.h., also throws the occasional slider and change-up. He chose Oregon, which brought back baseball this year after a 28-year absence, over two other members of the Pacific Ten - Oregon State and Arizona State.

"The facilities are the best in the country, by far," Jesse Biddle said. "But what got me was the coaching. I know their coaches will make me a better pitcher."

Of David and Marion Biddle's three boys, Jesse is the middle son. Sam, 20, an outfielder and relief pitcher while at Germantown Friends, attends Reed College, a liberal arts school in Portland, Ore. Conor, 13, hopes to follow in his brothers' footsteps.

When it comes to Jesse Biddle's playing style, his father said: "He has kind of an old-school approach to the game. He's not playing for the glory or the accolades. He's playing because he truly loves the sport."

Yesterday, in a two-run third, Biddle, who doubles as a first baseman, helped his cause with a leadoff triple to right-center field.

David Biddle, whose family lives in Mount Airy, said his son was keeping an open mind about possibly turning pro in 14 months or so.

"If it's the right offer and he feels as if he's mature enough, it could happen," he said. "We'll throw our two cents in, but it'll be his choice."

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
As long as they stay away from soft-tossing college guys in the top 5 rounds, I'm okay with drafting pitchers.

Depends on your definition of "Soft-tossing" and your definition of "5". I wouldn't be mad with a guy like a Broadway even in the 2nd or Sandwich round; they're just not going to succeed all the time no matter what their makeup is, and it's always possible for one of those sort to develop into at least an average player. First round though...yeah...no one throwing upper-80's in college.