Sign in to follow this  
StrangeSox

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Holy s*** talk about things that are COMPLETELY unexpected. I saw this just a few minutes ago and figured it was an April Fool's joke or something.

I thought about it some more and I think it was more an investment of political capital in him than it was an actual award.

But I mean... so odd thinking about how he's made no secret he's considering adding troops to Afghanistan.

Edited by lostfan

Yea this is a joke. I heard about it this morning getting ready for work and didn't believe it until I saw it on msn.com

I read the justification for him receiving it, but i don't buy it at all. Completely baffling. There were many, many, many, more deserving people for this.

This is sort of like the time when Rafael Palmeiro won the Gold Glove for first base, having only played a dozen or so games there. Except the Nobel Peace Prize is just slightly more meaningful.

What a joke.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
This is sort of like the time when Rafael Palmeiro won the Gold Glove for first base, having only played a dozen or so games there. Except the Nobel Peace Prize is just slightly more meaningful.

What a joke.

Claim not in evidence.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
So the rest of the world thinks enough of Obama to get him the nobel prize, but not the Olympics?

I'm sure it was the same voting panel for both with the same criteria.

Of course as Americans we must trash this as much as possible. I can't wait for the right wing attacks. :lolhitting

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Hopefully we can all just agree that it was completely unexpected and premature.

Not going to happen. Hordes of REPs are figuring out how to mitigate the "damage" and use it to make him look bad. Meanwhile hordes of DEM strategists are figuring out how to maximize the award to their advantage.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Not going to happen. Hordes of REPs are figuring out how to mitigate the "damage" and use it to make him look bad. Meanwhile hordes of DEM strategists are figuring out how to maximize the award to their advantage.

I don't think he meant ALL agree, I think he meant the people in here who can think for themselves.

1) Obama in no way deserves this yet.

2) I think this only shows how badly Bush destroyed America's image. It took 9 months and the next Presedent is Mother Theresa.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
I don't think he meant ALL agree, I think he meant the people in here who can think for themselves.

And again, I will say it isn't going to happen. Partisan opinions will start flying. And I agree this was as much about Bush as it was about Obama.

So Obama thought he could just bully his way into the nobel voting panel and say GIVE ME THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE and they'd give it to him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Surely this is bad for America, though.

lol seriously. It's being nay-sayed already in some pretty ridiculous ways.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
nominations were due Feb 1, 2009, so he was in office for around 10 days when people nominated him for the award....

Bush got nominated too. I think the US president just gets nominated by default.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Eh, Bush had the admirable AIDS policy.

True enough. That's on the short list of notable things he did right or didn't completely f*** up.

not mine:

"“Much better than the days when news of

some unexpected international recognition for our president meant that somebody threw a shoe at him.”"

Sign in to follow this