Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
not mine:

""Much better than the days when news of

some unexpected international recognition for our president meant that somebody threw a shoe at him.""

:notworthy :lolhitting

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Except that it was tied to abstinence-only education without condoms.

I'm no Bush apologist but it was far more than anyone else has ever done. They loved him there for it. No joke. Probably the only place Bush is popular outside of the Bible Belt and Israel.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Not going to happen. Hordes of REPs are figuring out how to mitigate the "damage" and use it to make him look bad. Meanwhile hordes of DEM strategists are figuring out how to maximize the award to their advantage.

Well, its already meaningless in their eyes thanks to Carter and Gore winning it.

But, like NSS said, I meant us smart folks here at Soxtalk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Of course you missed the big picture.

Eh the comparison is not a good one. The Olympics don't have anything to do with Obama directly. Awarding him a Nobel Peace Prize does (we all agree that he hasn't accomplished much yet besides laying out how he's going to get there).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
Of course you missed the big picture.

But you're missing the important details. Its different people with different reasons deciding different things from a different candidate pool. "The rest of the world" isn't one big homogeneous entity.

I am petty, and sort of enjoying the fact that this is like a symbolic kick in the balls to Matt Drudge who often tries to imply what the "rest of the world" thinks of Obama when he has obviously never read anything other than American or British news in his life.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Eh the comparison is not a good one. The Olympics don't have anything to do with Obama directly. Awarding him a Nobel Peace Prize does (we all agree that he hasn't accomplished much yet besides laying out how he's going to get there).

Why not? The big reason the left wingers gave us is that the United States image in the world has been completely destroyed beyond anything that Obama could do to fix it. But now that is good enough for a Nobel Peace prize? Don't get me wrong, he has tried in a few places, but when you look at the history of what people have accomplished to win it, I can see how it would be questioned. Let me put it this way, if Obama had succeeded anyone but Bush, we probably would have won the Olympics, and not gotten the Nobel prize.

Both of these feel like BS international politics, and they really shouldn't. It totally cheapens the idea and concept behind both of these ideals. If both of these are going to become vindictive tools, the are both quickly on their way to becoming irrelevant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
Why not? The big reason the left wingers gave us is that the United States image in the world has been completely destroyed beyond anything that Obama could do to fix it. But now that is good enough for a Nobel Peace prize? Don't get me wrong, he has tried in a few places, but when you look at the history of what people have accomplished to win it, I can see how it would be questioned. Let me put it this way, if Obama had succeeded anyone but Bush, we probably would have won the Olympics, and not gotten the Nobel prize.

Both of these feel like BS international politics, and they really shouldn't. It totally cheapens the idea and concept behind both of these ideals. If both of these are going to become vindictive tools, the are both quickly on their way to becoming irrelevant.

So you are saying that Obama being awarded the prize, cheapens it? Or only depending on the reasons behind it?

When I first read this headline I thought it was a joke, but if you think about it he's doing his job just like anyone doing medical or scientific research, and it must be looked upon as extremely positive.

This is really interesting and goes to show the feelings of Obama abroad.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
This is really interesting and goes to show the feelings of Obama abroad.

And leave it to the American right wing to crap on something we should be proud of. Just like they laughed at us losing an Olympic bid.