Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
You are right, I was wrong here. I was remembering your posts BEFORE the vote, not after. My bad.

As much as I was rallying against us getting the bid my initial reaction was sadness. I guess deep down I really wanted them and was just annoyed with Daley and his corruption.

Various Info:

Gibbs got the "3am Phone call" lol-

A senior administration official tells TPMDC Gibbs called the White House just before 6 a.m. and woke Obama to share the news.

"The president was humbled to be selected by the committee," the official says.

RNC's Response-

"The real question Americans are asking is, 'What has President Obama actually accomplished?' It is unfortunate that the president's star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights. One thing is certain - President Obama won't be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action."

The Taliban Responds-

“We have seen no change in his strategy for peace. He has done nothing for peace in Afghanistan.”

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
As much as I was rallying against us getting the bid my initial reaction was sadness. I guess deep down I really wanted them and was just annoyed with Daley and his corruption.

I understand, BS, and there's also a "We can talk s*** about our city, but don't you dare talk s*** about our city" factor

When one party stands up for what they believe and fight tooth and nail against the other party, I respect and applaud those efforts. (GOP and health care for a recent example) But when one party attacks instead of applauds or even should be sitting quietly, that's just wrong. One rabid republican just posted it should be called the Nobel piece of s*** prize on my fb.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)

I think your feelings on it were probably similar to a lot of people's in that regard. I saw a lot of people who were clearly downtrodden when it was announced, but who previously didn't want it. Everyone tied the Olympics to Daley (only partially rightly so IMO), and then later realized their love for the city was more important than their hate for Daley.

Anyway, that's a tangent, sorry.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
When one party stands up for what they believe and fight tooth and nail against the other party, I respect and applaud those efforts. (GOP and health care for a recent example) But when one party attacks instead of applauds or even should be sitting quietly, that's just wrong. One rabid republican just posted it should be called the Nobel piece of s*** prize on my fb.

The thing is, if Bush won a nobel for his AIDS work, I wouldn't have been talking crap on him. That was one thing he did that I was an ardent supporter of.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
The thing is, if Bush won a nobel for his AIDS work, I wouldn't have been talking crap on him. That was one thing he did that I was an ardent supporter of.

But a lot of the left probably would have been. They certainly were when he was nominated.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)

Yep, I defriended someone for a similar post. I can deal with snark--I can't deal with the total vitriol.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
But a lot of the left probably would have been. They certainly were when he was nominated.

Yeah I think it's legitimate to criticize that considering he more or less single-handedly started a disastrous war.

Well in the spirit of posting asinine Facebook comments from friends, here's mine:

"Seriously, the Nobel Peace Prize. Yeah, that wasn't staged to help his ratings."

Haha like the US president has EVER had ANY sort of influence over their decisions. If that was true then every one would have one.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
This is one of the worse things that could have happened for Obama. It completly reinforces the idea that he's famous for being "Not Bush."

HAHA REALLY?

THIS is one of the worst things that could have happened for Obama? Not an Israeli strike on Iran? Not another banking collapse? Not 20% unemployment? GETTING THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Well in the spirit of posting asinine Facebook comments from friends, here's mine:

"Seriously, the Nobel Peace Prize. Yeah, that wasn't staged to help his ratings."

Haha like the US president has EVER had ANY sort of influence over their decisions. If that was true then every one would have one.

That is an offshoot from a completely US-centric mindset, I'd imagine.

as a Dem, I'm thoroughly confused and slightly annoyed. I hate this kind of blind faith, and I thought we'd gotten past all the Obamania. But I guess we haven't quite... shame. Essentially with all this godliness we're heaping on Obama, it's going to be impossible for him to "succeed". How bout he's just a man. A very powerful man, but a man nonetheless. Not to mention one with a pitiful congress backing him up. But that's for another time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
You make no sense.

Are you serious? Do you not realize that half the s*** Obama gets is for being a narcissist, for being the world-perceived Messiah? He got nominated for the Nobel Prize TWO WEEKS INTO HIS ADMINISTRATION. For doing what exactly? In the past few years, this award has been given to Jimmy Carter for speaking out against George W. Bush, now, it’s been given to Obama for not BEING Him. These are the questions that are going to be asked for the next couple of months. People are going to start examining the man, and his accomplishments and when that happens they just might realize that, yeah, this emperor has a Nobel peace prize, but he also has no clothes

Edited by Thunderbolt