Young, Studly, Under Team Control Outfielders

Jerksticks

Forget Abreu and Figgins. IMO they would only be transitory filler parts, not long term solutions. The purpose of this thread is to talk about young guys entering their primes who aren't usually discussed as available; kinda like Swisher was supposed to be had he not busted with us. If KW isn't going to sign a FA OF, then he has to trade for one. Here are a couple off the top of my head, and if you help me list them all, then we will more than likely discuss the guy KW eventually gets this offseason.

Kemp

Ethier

Coughlan

etc

None of those three are being traded. What motivation would the Dodgers have to trade their two best young players, who are currently leading them towards a potential World Series? Furthermore, why would the Marlins trade their potential ROY, coming off his potential ROY season? Look, for situations where the minor league system meets a head with the major league team. That’s why guys like Cody Ross, Carl Crawford, and BJ Upton might be available.

Kenny made that trade already--Alex Rios. People may not agree, based on his 2009 numbers with the sox. Yet Kenny is counting on Rios playing up the his large contract. I for one think he will.

What I do think is the sox need a young lefty bat for the OF. I would look to a few names in the AFL.

Forget Abreu and Figgins. IMO they would only be transitory filler parts, not long term solutions. The purpose of this thread is to talk about young guys entering their primes who aren't usually discussed as available; kinda like Swisher was supposed to be had he not busted with us. If KW isn't going to sign a FA OF, then he has to trade for one. Here are a couple off the top of my head, and if you help me list them all, then we will more than likely discuss the guy KW eventually gets this offseason.

Kemp

Ethier

Coughlan

etc

PM me your drug dealers number. Looks like he sells some good stuff.

We are not going to be able to do anything other than stop gap guys.

Even if Kenny makes a surprise trade we all love, to keep guys that our likely in poster of soxtalk plans, we are either going to sign a guy to a 2 year contract, or trade for a guy that is a risk and hope it works out. But all the guys you mentioned, there's no reason those teams would trade them. It's like other team message boards pondering "what cheap studly IF prospects can we nab" and talking about what it takes to get Beckham.

I think I place more importance in going for it all next year than the majority of you. If Freddy Garcia turns into an absolute steal then next year IS THE YEAR. Best rotation, our infield is set, our bullpen needs a piece, and our outfield needs 1 major piece that can also play great defense. Sign Pods too and Kotsay too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
If you are placing more importance on exclusively next year why do you care if the players are young and cheap?

Youger players typically play way better defense.

Part of me would LOVE Milton Bradley to play here. He would eat up playing for this side of town. But I don't know if his defense is what I want rotating out there.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Youger players typically play way better defense.

Part of me would LOVE Milton Bradley to play here. He would eat up playing for this side of town. But I don't know if his defense is what I want rotating out there.

You should plan on Bradley getting only about 150 at bats next season if you're also counting on him to play the field. He's a DH, everyone knew it when the Cubs signed him. He'll get hurt playing the OF, he'll struggle at the plate, he'll give you 150 average to poor at bats, maybe 250-300 if you're really lucky, and then he'll explode at the fans or an ump or a manager or the press or the Nobel Peace Prize committee for no reason other than he's frustrated about how his season has gone and he doesn't know how to express it.

Personally, if Tampa is willing to trade Upton that would be the target for me. For CF and leadoff. Put him in center, Rios in right. This would improve the outfield defense. He has batted leadoff most of his time in the bigs, and to a team that made it to the WS last year. This year he did not hit so well in the leadoff spot and was removed. I believe he is heading to arb for the next few years and would not break the payroll short term. May take alot to get him, but I thought they had a studdly outfielder ready to replace him or Crawford. The move of Crawford would be a hit to their season ticket sales and fan base.

Upton's career OBP is 352 and his career numbers overall aren't too bad.

Upton, Abreu and a little help for the pen and let's start 2010.

What do you think?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Think LH middle-of-order type hitter first, position second. Sox have a lot of movable parts defensively, no too mention a DH opening.

Nick Johnson would be a nice piece to add. He could play DH/1B/RF. Most likely he and konerko can split time at DH/1B and hes an OBP Machine.