The Droid

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Is anyone getting the Google/Verizon/Motrola Droid on Friday? Thing looks awesome, a true iPhone killer. For anyone with experience buying new phones, do you think I would have to go to the store at opening in order to get one? I really don't feel like getting up.

It's not an iPhone killer, just like the other iPhone killers weren't iPhone killers.

See the HTC Touch.

See the Palm Pre.

See countless others.

At best, it will match the iPhone, and I think people would be happy with that. It will have some features that are better, some that are worse...but it will not kill the iPhone. I'm betting it doesn't even make a dent in the iPhone's sales.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
It's not an iPhone killer, just like the other iPhone killers weren't iPhone killers.

See the HTC Touch.

See the Palm Pre.

See countless others.

At best, it will match the iPhone, and I think people would be happy with that. It will have some features that are better, some that are worse...but it will not kill the iPhone. I'm betting it doesn't even make a dent in the iPhone's sales.

Ive had the Touch/Instinct/Pre and now I have the iphone. I think it will be years before another phone can catch up to the iphone. So much groundwork has been laid in terms of what the iphone can do that a first gen phone wont be able to threaten it. Im sure the iphones reign will end but they would be better suited trying to continue the advancement of one phone than to shove the new iphone killers down our throat for a few months and then move on to the next one.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
Not to mention it's the Verizon network, which absolutely destroys anything AT&T.

Umm, Verizon f***ing blows. And Motorola blows even harder. Not a good combo for the Droid.

Sincerely, a happy AT&T customer with an iPhone.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Verizon's network>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AT&T's. It's not even close.

While true in a lot of cases, I'm an AT&T user that has no issues, aside from a rare dropped call, AT&T's network has been fine. A lot of this is overblown hype from years ago, AT&T's network still isn't anywhere near as expansive as Verizon's, but it's way better than it was.

Also, you pay for that with Verizon. I keep hearing about how expensive iPhones are on a month to month basis, and I can tell you it's a load of crap. I pay LESS for 2 iPhones on my family AT&T account than I did for my ONE windows mobile on Verizon...and do you know why?! Because I couldn't have a 550 or less package with Verizon, I needed the 1000 package because from time to time I use upwards of 900+ minutes...and with Verizon, you get no rollover, so for those few months I did use that many minutes, I was required to carry the package and waste it on the other months.

With AT&T, I have their s***tiest minutes package, and I have over 2500 rollover minutes saved, so for those few months I have to go over...I don't care...and I don't have to pay for it on the months I don't.

The Droid sounds like a good smartphone, and hopefully signifies a come back from Motorola. It's lack of Multitouch is meh, IMO, I feel it's an absolute REQUIREMENT these days, but overall, it sounds nice.

The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg:

* The Droid is the best smartphone on Verizon, the best handset from Motorola and the best Android phone.

* "I can recommend the Droid to Verizon loyalists who have lusted for a better smart phone, but don't want to switch networks."

* Android 2.0 is an improvement, most notably the free Google Maps Navigation turn-by-turn directions.

* The 3.7-inch screen looks great, but lacks multi-touch and is not as responsive as some other hardware.

* The keyboard is "awful" and causes frequent typos. The software doesn't include an auto-correct feature for the physical keyboard, yet the on-screen virtual keyboard does correct typos.

* Android still only has three panels for displaying apps, versus 11 on the iPhone.

* "The Droid is potentially a big win for Verizon, Motorola and Google, as well as for loyal Verizon customers."

The New York Times' David Pogue:

* "The Droid wins on phone network, customizability, GPS navigation, speaker, physical keyboard, removable battery and openness (free operating system, mostly uncensored app store). The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."

* New multi-function handsets need to be called "app phones," distinguishing "iPhoneish" phones from "mere smartphones."

* The Droid has a "masculine" design.

* "Is the Droid an iPhone killer? No, but it's certainly a killer phone."

* It's fast, audio quality is great, and the screen is "gorgeous."

* Though the Droid is only slightly thicker than the iPhone, the iPhone tapers off with its curved edges, so it feels much thinner in your hand.

* The Web browser is good, but slower than the iPhone and hurt by a lack of multi-touch for zoom.

* Android's 12,000 apps don't compare to the more than 100,000 available for the iPhone, which are largely "more useful and imaginative."

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)
I'm about to opt out of my verizon contract. There's a report that on Nov. 15th Verizon will be making contract cancellations $350 instead of $175.

You are bound to whatever contract you signed. If they raise rates, it will be on people signing new contracts.

I use Verizon and have never had a problem with it, no complaints whatsoever.

Also, I have had just about every decent Motorola phone you can name and yes, all first generation phones have their bugs, what phone doesn't. What do you expect, it is basically a beta phone.

When the Razr first came out I had many problems with it and then months later swapped it out for a newer version and it was perfect. Then I switched over to the Krazr and had minor problems but after phone updates it was fine. Even back in the day I had the pebl, which till this day I still love how it opens, least durable phone I've owned maybe besides the first gen. Razr. Then you have your older phones but those were fine, just bland.

I have the Krave at the moment and it has been fine, one of Motorola's first touch phones. There are some minor things I don't like, screen gets in the way when I use the qwerty touch pad and it is a tad too sensitive.

Finally nice to see that Motorola is selling phones with the latest technologies, see the Evoke, Cliq and Droid for examples. They kept coming out with phones that nobody wanted and it is about time they are delivering touch phones and sliders, phones people want at the moment.

You are bound to whatever contract you signed. If they raise rates, it will be on people signing new contracts.

Not if the contract states that they can change the fees at any time with your approval. And then the contract states if you use your cell phone you approve of any changes.

Cell phones, credit cards etc have really bad contracts. Not familiar with the contract in question, but there is a way to write the contract so that the cancellation fee could be changed at any time.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
I'm about to opt out of my verizon contract. There's a report that on Nov. 15th Verizon will be making contract cancellations $350 instead of $175.

They can't retroactively change the cancellation policy terms on your existing contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
They can't retroactively change the cancellation policy terms on your existing contract.

No, but they can send you notification of the change in your terms and unless you respond by X day it'll change and you'll be stuck. No different than what banks and credit cards do, and there's a high likelyhood that you'll either never see the notification (stuck in like an ad with your bill) or you'll just toss it out of habit.

As far as the phone debate, this is like the argument of Zune vs the Ipod. No matter what features the Zune tries to throw at you, in the end it's just a waste because of the foundation the Ipod has laid. The App Store is a good example of that. Iphone will reign supreme just like it continues to reign supreme in mp3 players. That's coming from a guy that hates nearly everything Apple too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
No, but they can send you notification of the change in your terms and unless you respond by X day it'll change and you'll be stuck. No different than what banks and credit cards do, and there's a high likelyhood that you'll either never see the notification (stuck in like an ad with your bill) or you'll just toss it out of habit.

As far as the phone debate, this is like the argument of Zune vs the Ipod. No matter what features the Zune tries to throw at you, in the end it's just a waste because of the foundation the Ipod has laid. The App Store is a good example of that. Iphone will reign supreme just like it continues to reign supreme in mp3 players. That's coming from a guy that hates nearly everything Apple too.

However, Google's power is > Apple's and the programming on the Google side is supposed to be legit. I think thats the big difference in these new android based phones and I think it is why we'll see them put a dent in Apple. I also think the Blackberry does a pretty f***ing good job too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
However, Google's power is > Apple's and the programming on the Google side is supposed to be legit. I think thats the big difference in these new android based phones and I think it is why we'll see them put a dent in Apple. I also think the Blackberry does a pretty f***ing good job too.

Yea, I don't see where you get that...it's completely unfounded. Google has programmed exactly nothing but a search engine that's seen any success. Every other Google product loses money because it's free, or they can't figure out a way to make money with it, see YouTube, the Google billion dollar mistake. Apple has countless apps, and entire operating system, a mobile operating system, a built in ecosystem with music/movies/apps, etc...there is no comparison. That's not to say Google doesn't have it's fair share of applications, maps, etc, but as of now, they're still an infant compared to a very mature Apple who is firing on all cylinders right now.

When people think cool technology, mobile devices, etc...they think Apple.

When people want to search for a term paper to steal, they think Google. :D

Apple is a richer company than Google. Apple is also worth more than Google in market capitalization. So I'm failing to see where Google's power is > Apple's...the numbers and history just aren't there. To be fair, the numbers are very close -- and both are very well run companies -- but Apple already has the infrastructure, and it's big, and a lot of people use it...Google is just starting to build it, and are still years behind.

I end this rant with one thing:

Android has been out well over a year, and it's failed to make a dent in anything iPhone so far. If anything, it will take market share from the failed Microsoft mobile platform...but I don't see it hurting Apple's customer base...that is, unless Apple stops coming out with newer/updated features and sits on their asses like Microsoft did all those years in the mobile space. If that was the case, I'd jump ship in an instant, and I love my iPhone. But I wouldn't continue using it if it fell behind a superior competitor. If that competitor ends up running Android someday, so be it...I'll be happy to use a superior product with superior support base.

Edited by Y2HH

Or worse they state in the terms of the contract, that by using the phone after the change you agree to any changes that have been made.

That is what credit cards do.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Or worse they state in the terms of the contract, that by using the phone after the change you agree to any changes that have been made.

That is what credit cards do.

None of that really matters. The fact that they can change the terms and say, if you don't like the changes, you can cancel now...well, what kind of alternative is that? I sort of need my phone...so great, you want to change the rules now and my options are to agree with them or be without a phone for now, until I find another carrier and buy a completely NEW phone?

Yea, because that's a great option to have. heh.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
None of that really matters. The fact that they can change the terms and say, if you don't like the changes, you can cancel now...well, what kind of alternative is that? I sort of need my phone...so great, you want to change the rules now and my options are to agree with them or be without a phone for now, until I find another carrier and buy a completely NEW phone?

Yea, because that's a great option to have. heh.

No, they don't force you to stop using the phone, you just have to let them know you don't agree and the new terms won't apply. In essense they're revising the contract and need your ok. But based on provisions in the contract you've already "signed," your silence on any future revision is acceptance.

I am on Verizon, and I am mostly happy with it in terms of the coverage. Very good on that, and I do go to a lot of places where phone service is often iffy.

But Verizon pulled a s***ty, s***ty thing on their blackberries. If you get a BB from Verizon, you can either pay $10 a month to use the Verizon GPS/mapping software, or you can download Google Maps/Google Earth for free. Well, duh, I went Google. Except Verizon has code put into the RIM OS (other providers do NOT do this) that prevents the GPS from working with any other software other than VZW maps. Total f***ing rip-off.