The Droid

Buehrle>Wood

Me thinks that the people who are complaining about Verizon haven't had it in at least the past 2 years. I've been with every major network except for US Cellular and Verizon has the 2nd best network, but best overall service(again, not including US Cellular who I heard are very good, but don't have the greatest phone selection). AT&T has a good feature with rollover minutes, but besides the iPhone, I rather have T-Mobile. T-Mobile, recently has been getting a lot of bad reviews in the media for good reason since they had the sidekick blackout and then this past tuesday's blackout, but they're the better decent cheap option for college students IMO unless you really really want an iPhone.

Verizon & Sprint to me are the big boys though. What I don't like about Sprint is that your bill is never the same from month to month and roaming charges are a pain, but in the 2nd year that I had them, I never lost a call nor was I never able to gain internet access. They also can't cut you a break.

Verizon has a great selection of phones and customer service is great. They're willing to hear you out and understand. The one downfall with Verizon is that they cripple their phones with their own software. With the Storm though, I haven't seen much of that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Me thinks that the people who are complaining about Verizon haven't had it in at least the past 2 years. I've been with every major network except for US Cellular and Verizon has the 2nd best network, but best overall service(again, not including US Cellular who I heard are very good, but don't have the greatest phone selection). AT&T has a good feature with rollover minutes, but besides the iPhone, I rather have T-Mobile. T-Mobile, recently has been getting a lot of bad reviews in the media for good reason since they had the sidekick blackout and then this past tuesday's blackout, but they're the better decent cheap option for college students IMO unless you really really want an iPhone.

Verizon & Sprint to me are the big boys though. What I don't like about Sprint is that your bill is never the same from month to month and roaming charges are a pain, but in the 2nd year that I had them, I never lost a call nor was I never able to gain internet access. They also can't cut you a break.

Verizon has a great selection of phones and customer service is great. They're willing to hear you out and understand. The one downfall with Verizon is that they cripple their phones with their own software. With the Storm though, I haven't seen much of that.

That is pretty much what I was talking about.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)

Verizon and Sprint are the two best services I've ever had. Nothing tops Verizon's coverage, imo. Spring is close but Sprint's pricing is far superior as they've been getting absolutely blitzed by Verizon/ATT due to them not having that show-stopper phone. Hopefully that will change, but I've been very happy with my change to Sprint.

I had Sprint for like 8 years up until about 3 months ago. Sprints prices are pretty good, their coverage was incredible and they had a lot of the top phones. Their customer service was brutal however.

I just switched to AT&T just to get the iphone and their reception is such horse s*** its ridiculous. Some people say the iphone on top of AT&T contributes to the poor service but either way its terrible. I drop calls when I am at home on wifi 10 feet away from my router and I get zero reception in the high rise in the city I am working unless I am by a window that faces south. Im pretty sure I am going to switch to t-mobile so I can keep my iphone and drop AT&T. From what I hear they are pretty good and they are very accommodating to setting up people with iphones and picking the best plans. Anyone with T-mobile have any insight to how their reception is?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
I had Sprint for like 8 years up until about 3 months ago. Sprints prices are pretty good, their coverage was incredible and they had a lot of the top phones. Their customer service was brutal however.

I just switched to AT&T just to get the iphone and their reception is such horse s*** its ridiculous. Some people say the iphone on top of AT&T contributes to the poor service but either way its terrible. I drop calls when I am at home on wifi 10 feet away from my router and I get zero reception in the high rise in the city I am working unless I am by a window that faces south. Im pretty sure I am going to switch to t-mobile so I can keep my iphone and drop AT&T. From what I hear they are pretty good and they are very accommodating to setting up people with iphones and picking the best plans. Anyone with T-mobile have any insight to how their reception is?

It's fantastic, maybe not as good as Verizon but still really good. When I first got my G1 last year I didn't used to get 3G unless I was in Baltimore or DC but they've upgraded so I get it in my house in the suburbs now. But just about anywhere I go I get at least 3 bars.

I feel like by definition, nothing can truly be an iPhone killer because they've set the bar and everyone keeps coming out with a phone that is "better". The main problem is that companies like LG have 3 phones trying to compete with the iPhone, as do others, whereas the iPhone is unique in that it is the first and only Apple phone out there. Everyone else keeps throwing s*** at the wall, waiting for something to stick and compete, but Apple is pretty much one-and-done and has already reached the peak. The fact that individual companies have released more than one product under the "iPhone killer" moniker says to me that they can't achieve the status that Apple has achieved.

I'm on Sprint and have a Palm Pre. What I like about Sprint is that it was ridiculously easy to get a company discount for a company that I don't work for. Also, Best Buy price matches so I was able to print up a $99 walmart.com price and didn't have to deal with any rebates. Another nice thing is that they have that free mobile to mobile to any other network thing now, but I rarely talk on the phone before 7 anyways so I've never come within 200 minutes of going over my minutes...

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
???????

Verizon's fantastic.

Apparently in all states but Michigan then. Everyone I know that has Verizon here hates it. They're phones suck too. My roommate is on his 3rd Moto Rival in less than a month.

Apple's genius is very simple.

Their product design is by far superior to anyone on the market. Even in commercials their competitors admit their products are sexy.

Secondly, their products are the most simple and intuitive on the market. You pick up one of their devices or turn on their computers, and you don't need to read an instruction manual. Operation comes naturally. I can't express in words how huge of an advantage this is.

Finally, their marketing is brilliant. There is a reason that their competitors have sunken to either blatantly copying their strategies or downright insulting them.

Until someone recognizes this, their competitors can break down their products and try to create their own that address Apple's shortcomings, but all but the most techno-savvy people could care less. What people want are easy to use devices that are well and beautifully designed and can take a little punishment. Apple is one company that has recognized this.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)

I'm confused....how can Tmobile legally help you with a Iphone since its only on ATT?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I'm on Sprint and have a Palm Pre. What I like about Sprint is that it was ridiculously easy to get a company discount for a company that I don't work for. Also, Best Buy price matches so I was able to print up a $99 walmart.com price and didn't have to deal with any rebates. Another nice thing is that they have that free mobile to mobile to any other network thing now, but I rarely talk on the phone before 7 anyways so I've never come within 200 minutes of going over my minutes...

Ya, I love my 23% sprint discount.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
I'm confused....how can Tmobile legally help you with a Iphone since its only on ATT?

My phone is unlocked so it can be used with T-Mobile. They wont go and advertise that they will do it, but if you walk into a store with an unlocked iphone and want to switch to their service they will set you up with the correct data plan so that you can use the iphone for much cheaper than AT&T.

For example, here is a T-Mobile forum with an employee explaining it.

Also, if anyone with an iphone is interested in jailbreaking/unlocking it, I can walk you through it in about 5-10 minutes.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
My phone is unlocked so it can be used with T-Mobile. They wont go and advertise that they will do it, but if you walk into a store with an unlocked iphone and want to switch to their service they will set you up with the correct data plan so that you can use the iphone for much cheaper than AT&T.

For example, here is a T-Mobile forum with an employee explaining it.

Also, if anyone with an iphone is interested in jailbreaking/unlocking it, I can walk you through it in about 5-10 minutes.

Wow, that is extremely interesting. I am somewhat shocked that they would do that. I guess it's better than turning people away just to go somewhere else.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm shocked people continue to purchase iPhones, considering the God-awful call and 3G reception. My buddy's iPhone is basically a crappy handheld video game for about 25% of the time.

I bought the iPhone and have had little problems with the reception. It works in my basement fine, and NO phone works in my basement. Like all phones and providers, it varies person to person.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
Secondly, their products are the most simple and intuitive on the market. You pick up one of their devices or turn on their computers, and you don't need to read an instruction manual. Operation comes naturally. I can't express in words how huge of an advantage this is.

THAT is it 100%! It is amazing how easy that is to understand once you try using anything else. I have bought my kids numerous MP3 players, and they all confuse the heck out of me and leaving me wanting an instruction manual. But the Pods have never been that way. You just knew what to do with them...somehow.

One of the guys I work with just got an iPhone, and that intuitive thing isn't right there for him though. He has been lost on numerous aspects, such as voice mail. I haven't looked at it, so I don't know if it is the phone set-up or his own idiocy.

Me? I'm a Verizon Blackberry Curve user. My contract is up next year, just in time for the Storm to really be figuring itself out. I figure the Storm3 will be hitting the market, and I will probably go that route. I like Blackberry, for some reason.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
THAT is it 100%! It is amazing how easy that is to understand once you try using anything else. I have bought my kids numerous MP3 players, and they all confuse the heck out of me and leaving me wanting an instruction manual. But the Pods have never been that way. You just knew what to do with them...somehow.

One of the guys I work with just got an iPhone, and that intuitive thing isn't right there for him though. He has been lost on numerous aspects, such as voice mail. I haven't looked at it, so I don't know if it is the phone set-up or his own idiocy.

Me? I'm a Verizon Blackberry Curve user. My contract is up next year, just in time for the Storm to really be figuring itself out. I figure the Storm3 will be hitting the market, and I will probably go that route. I like Blackberry, for some reason.

It's him, the iPhone can be used by 3 year olds without instructions.