Job Offer Question

dasox24

Hey, I need some advice from you guys in the professional world:

I got an email today from an HR person with General Electric telling me how impressed they were with me in my interviews and that I would be receiving a job offer soon (for a 6-month internship). They also asked if I had any other job offer deadlines from other companies, so they could try to work within those deadlines.

I interviewed with Colgate-Palmolive as well last month, but haven't heard anything yet and I'm supposed to find out around this time. However, I'd prefer the GE job, so is there any benefit or negative to telling them about my possible Colgate offer if I know I'll take the GE one once it's official?

I know not to expect anything until I have an offer in writing and accept it, so I'm holding back excitement for now. But, should I tell them I'm still waiting to hear from Colgate, or should I just say I have no standing offers and leave it at that?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tell them you've interviewed with another company and are expecting to here back from them soon, but also be honest about your preference of GE. No harm with that, especially during internship recruiting.

They want the people they hire to really like the company and in this instance you are saying hey, I like you guys a lot.

Letting them know they are the number one choice is almost always a good thing. And now you are in a great position because they brought to the process a willingness to work within your time frame. If/When you do get a competing offer it is very easy to contact them and explain the situation.

Yep, I just went through something similar. Telling a company that others are interested in you can only improve your standing in their eyes. Such a high percentage of interns receive full time offers later on. So if they hear a competitor is interested, they will likely up their offer as they won't want to lose you.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
If anyone wants an accounting gig, I've gotten like 5 peeps hired at my place the past few months. Just have to move to Cali, haha.

my friend got me a solid offer in San Diego last weekend, the money came up just short, so Chicago for awhile still!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
f***, I'm about to. :lol:

And on the no promotion thing, it sounds like its coming to an end....with me getting a promotion. At least thats what HR told me this week, although I dont' think it becomes official for another month or two. Interviewing another candidate to be my staff later on this week (brought in one already).

Its pretty fun being on the interviewing side of things.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
And on the no promotion thing, it sounds like its coming to an end....with me getting a promotion. At least thats what HR told me this week, although I dont' think it becomes official for another month or two. Interviewing another candidate to be my staff later on this week (brought in one already).

Its pretty fun being on the interviewing side of things.

Great to hear. I'm glad they're recognizing your work.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
Any Internal Audit work?

We dont' have any internal audit department, we basically pay KPMG big bucks to do that and they do quite the s***ty job at that. If you want to move into the private accounting side I'm pretty sure we can find something. A couple acquisitions are on the way which will create more opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bump this to let y'all who responded know that I got the job officially on Friday afternoon. I start in January.

Again, thanks for the advice given in this thread. A 9-day wait for the official offer wasn't as bad as it could have been.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Congrats! :cheers

I am currently waiting for an internship offer (dont know if it will be given to me or not). Should arrive this week, keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck! I remember your post about interviewing for that internship and it sounded like a pretty sweet deal, so that would be awesome if you got it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Congrats! :cheers

I am currently waiting for an internship offer (dont know if it will be given to me or not). Should arrive this week, keeping my fingers crossed.

Who is the internship with and what are you doing for the company?

QUOTE (The Beast @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Who is the internship with and what are you doing for the company?

Potentially with WW Grainger working as an Enterprise Systems intern, not to sure still on the specific work but all IT related and my guess is SAP heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Bump, just got offered the position! Im still in disbelief as I was going up against juniors and seniors for the position (I am a soph) and I am stoked for this.

Dude, congratulations! Things are looking good for Soxtalk college students...

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm starting tomorrow (today technically) at 8am. About to get 4 1/2 hours of sleep before my first day of work, which is probably not smart. But, I've spent the last 2 hours getting ready for tomorrow. Already packed my lunch, have breakfast set out, shaved so I don't have to in the morning, ironed my pants, etc. My 1st morning will hopefully go smoothly. I'm so pumped. I feel like a kid getting ready for the 1st day of school, haha.

Edited by dasox24