Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Nix isn't going to start. Getz at $400K is not a liability, and you're still cutting his abilities short because you love Nix for some reason. Nix sucks as a starter. He's a decent backup, but he can't play SS very well, so he's not even the best option there either. I'm pissed about this trade because we just added over $4M to the payroll for a player that is easily replaceable.

I personally hope we sell NIx. I don't like the way he plays the game.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Really? I don't want him starting but he's a perfect bench player imo.

If he learns to play other positions, fine, but I see little value in a bench player that can only play 2B above average, is a butcher at Ss and is mediocre at 3B.

He's got a lot to work on if he wants a permanent job. Now Teahan/Kotsay, those are bench players.

Basically put, Nix has work to do to become a good bench player. He has the potential to be that though, I'd admit that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Why do you assume Teahan wouldn't play 3rd?

Why not have Teahen play 2B?

I mean... Anything is possible in our infield...

We currently have a 2B playing SS...

And a SS playing 3B...

Why not have a 3B playing second?

I'm not disappointed in parting with either Fields or Getz. They are both replaceable parts. What I am not quite happy about, at least at this moment, is the fact that we appear to be penciling in a starter for next year who has yet to drive in 70 or more runs in a year and who strikes out a whole bunch. Is that who you replace someone of Jermaine Dye's caliber with? How in the world can that be considered an upgrade for right field, if indeed that's where he ends up playing? I don't care how much better he is defensively. His offense is sub-par for a corner outfielder. And even if Teahen ends up going to third base, his numbers are below average for a third baseman, too, as third base is typically a power position of sorts as well. It would be one thing if he had speed like Chone Figgins, but he doesn't. No, I am not thrilled about the prospect of watching this guy make 500+ plate appearances in a White Sox uniform next season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
I personally hope we sell NIx. I don't like the way he plays the game.

It's that kind of crap that made Chris Getz into a legend on this board.. What don't you like about Nix? That he struggled at hitting RHP in his rookie year? That he can hit for pop, steal a base, field the damn position better then Getz? The raw data works in Nixs' favor.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
It's that kind of crap that made Chris Getz into a legend on this board.. What don't you like about Nix? That he struggled at hitting RHP in his rookie year? That he can hit for pop, steal a base, field the damn position better then Getz? The raw data works in Nixs' favor.

That he has a long swing and can't hit for an average. That he's a bench player that can't field at SS nor does he play an excellent 3B.

That he hit .220 while being babied and only facing lefties. I don't like anything about Nix offensive approach and it is detrimental toa team over a full season.

Getz isn't a star, but he has so many more positive things he can do for a team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)

You're just about the only person who feels this way. Sorry.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
Well no one has even mentioned the possibility that the Sox have set their sights on a middle infielder/3b who will replace Getz...

The first thing I thought of when I heard this trade was that the Sox had opened up the ability to sign Figgins. They could also find a different Ss and move Alexei back to 2B if they want to do that (although that would probably be expensive...so would Figgins).

I'm quite curious as to what they got in mind, because as is, I'm not a fan of this move at all.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
How versatile are you really when you suck just about everywhere you play on the field? Real hard to get excited about Mark Teahen, he doesn't do a whole hell of a lot well.

The part that kills me is that I honestly think Mark would have been non-tendered. He has some tools and potential but in five years he hasn't lived up to it so why pay a premium for it like the Sox have.

This really is a bad trade and I rarely hammer on Kenny.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
What don't you like about Nix? That he struggled at hitting RHP in his rookie year? That he can hit for pop, steal a base, field the damn position better then Getz? The raw data works in Nixs' favor.

I think you have a great potential career as an agent for marginally talented players.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Tell me why Chris Getz is a good player. Tell me why he's better then Nix or Teahen. Give me some numbers, don't give me feelings.

Dude, about 50 people have done so. Get over it. You have your opinion, the rest of the world has there's. Lets not beat a dead horse.