Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Well the sox could pull it off without giving up those two, but it would probably cost Beckham which would be a terrible idea.

Ok ... I'll give you that. Danks, Floyd or Beckham. Regardless, I wouldn't do it because there'd have to be a lot more included than one of those players.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Ok ... I'll give you that. Danks, Floyd or Beckham. Regardless, I wouldn't do it because there'd have to be a lot more included than one of those players.

If Toronto's asking for more than a guy of that level they're going to get burned again. That's like asking Boston to give up Lester, LAD to give up Kershaw, whatever. Not happening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
If Toronto's asking for more than a guy of that level they're going to get burned again. That's like asking Boston to give up Lester, LAD to give up Kershaw, whatever. Not happening.

I can see Torointo getting that quality of a player, plus some youngsters, for Halladay. I just can't see them getting that from The White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Sounds like we won the last WS title we had with starting pitching and big boppers.

This time, KW wants to go back to the Go Go White Sox with little offense, manufacturing runs, but great starting pitching.

Problem there is you need defense

i wonder what it would cost, realistically,( i dont believe how people say floyd/danks, beckham, hudson,etc all in one deal), to get gonzalez. i think we have what it takes to get him and hes not expensive this yr or next yr. and when he becomes a fa, we'll have more money to spend than we do now. so i guess its about what they want in return

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
i wonder what it would cost, realistically,( i dont believe how people say floyd/danks, beckham, hudson,etc all in one deal), to get gonzalez. i think we have what it takes to get him and hes not expensive this yr or next yr. and when he becomes a fa, we'll have more money to spend than we do now. so i guess its about what they want in return

Realistically, I'd say a young possible top of the rotation starter and a couple of really good position player prospects. I.e. something like Buchholz, Tazawa, and another player from boston.

From us, he might not be there yet, but if Hudson comes out and starts ripping apart AAA this year, then Hudson + Flowers might be that kind of a deal. Right now though I don't think Hudson is quite that highly prized, but he's moving up the charts quick.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)

Gonzelez makes perfect sense for the Sox in the grand scheme of things. He's 27 years old, is a lefty with tremendous power, high OBP and is due 4.75 million in 2010 and 5.5 million in 2011 before he hits the market. It may cost us Viciedo, Hudson and others but this dude would be a MONSTER at the Cell. KW BETTER be pursuing this. .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Gonzelez makes perfect sense for the Sox in the grand scheme of things. He's 27 years old, is a lefty with tremendous power, high OBP and is due 4.75 million in 2010 and 5.5 million in 2011 before he hits the market. It may cost us Viciedo, Hudson and others but this dude would be a MONSTER at the Cell. KW BETTER be pursuing this. .

exactly,makes tons of sense. esp bcuz we dont really have anyone down in the minor leagues to replace pk...but i dont see us getting him this yr unless we trade pk because i dont think either would want to dh

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
exactly,makes tons of sense. esp bcuz we dont really have anyone down in the minor leagues to replace pk...but i dont see us getting him this yr unless we trade pk because i dont think either would want to dh

I am not sure I follow, Why would we need someone to replace PK when we would be trading for Gonzelez? In addition, if we had both PK and Gonzelez, I am certian PK would DH whether he liked it or not, might save his aging hip from getting worse anyway. In fact maybe we could offload PK for a relief pitcher if we made that trade with sandiego.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)

I dont think PK would mind DHing and playing 1B like twice a week. . I could also see PK being dealt this offseason. . He still has decent value. PK to the Dodgers for Manny and cash? Okay now im getting way out of control. . . :)

QUOTE (quickman @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
I am not sure I follow, Why would we need someone to replace PK when we would be trading for Gonzelez? In addition, if we had both PK and Gonzelez, I am certian PK would DH whether he liked it or not, might save his aging hip from getting worse anyway. In fact maybe we could offload PK for a relief pitcher if we made that trade with sandiego.

i meant that it makes sense to get gonzalez bcuz if we dont, when pk leaves after the yr, we wont have anyone in the minors ready to replace him

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
i meant that it makes sense to get gonzalez bcuz if we dont, when pk leaves after the yr, we wont have anyone in the minors ready to replace him

i agree. . Gonzalez just may be KW's #1 offseason target. Plus we haven't heard anything about us getting him. And if we dont hear about it- there may be something to it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Because of the payroll restrictions this team seems to be under, I'll be mildly surprised if Hudson is part of this organization in April. If used correctly in a trade, I have no objections to that either.

I'm not sure I follow. I'd be surprised if we did trade Hudson since he is a cheap player and fits into our long-term budget and future. I understand if we trade him for another top prospect or highly thought of player at another position but I don't think that necessarily solves much of anything because its an unproven for an unproven trade.

We won't trade Hudson for a proven veteran as 99% of the time that means the club adds payroll and to do that it would mean the club had already traded guys like Paulie/Jenks/Linebrink.

So in short, I expect the opposite of what you said to hold true, unless of course Hudson is packaged along with a higher priced player.

from Ken Rosenthal

ChiSox looking for more offense -- 6:03 p.m.

Several days after acquiring Mark Teahen from Kansas City, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said he would like to add another left-handed bat to his lineup.

"As we stand right now, there's not anything obvious that we need, other than perhaps another left-handed hitter," Williams said Monday. "Whether that guy's a power guy, or an on-base-percentage/speed guy, or some combination of both, I don't know."

Kenny Williams is eyeing some more pop. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

But after adding Alex Rios and Jake Peavy during the season, it doesn't appear that the White Sox will invest heavily in the free agent market.

In time, the Chicago farm system could produce the left-handed hitter that Williams wants. The GM said he feels "the same way about" 23-year-old outfielder Jordan Danks "as I felt about Gordon Beckham at this stage last year."

"That's pretty good," Williams added.

Beckham, of course, came up this season and blossomed into a Rookie of the Year candidate. Beckham is slated to play second base in 2010.

You know the one thing that argues to me against Hudson going anywhere? It's the difference between how they handled Carter and how they handled Hudson. Both carter and hudson were clearly better than their A-ball talent. Hudson got moved up, Carter didn't, even though they could have found a spot for him. Why? Because they wanted him to keep piling up the strikeouts so that another team would look at him and be trading for the minor league leader in K's. Hudson on the other hand, they didn't worry about his stats by having him have a bad start or two when he jumped up a level, when they thought he was ready to take on a challenge, he hit AA, AAA, and then the bigs in Sept. You could call about a month before Carter was gone that he was in line to be traded (pretty sure I said that personally). Hudson on the other hand, if we believe the rumors, was in the original Peavy deal and then KW pulled him out.

I think that if anyone thinks Hudson's value is through the roof, it's the Sox. I would bet that you'd have to give up the moon to get him from us.

"To be able to do something prior to the GM meetings, and have substantial talks on major things is surprising, but certainly welcome to me. We did our groundwork quite some time ago."

I like this. It makes me feel like something big is in the works again

I was listening to the score and KW mentioned that he views Jordan Danks right now the same way he was looking at Beckham at this time last year.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
They did the exact same thing with Gio. They knew how to get the most out of him, and didn't want to expose him by moving him up the organization, killing his value.

I still say they will not be moving Hudson unless he's packaged with other high priced players. Otherwise he isn't going anywhere. Even than I find it highly unlikely since Garcia has only thrown a very limited amount of innings the past 3 seasons and it would be very foolish to count on him for 180 innings, let alone 200.

And without Hudson, the Sox don't really have any starting pitcher waiting in the wings, that could step in and replace Garcia.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
They did the exact same thing with Gio. They knew how to get the most out of him, and didn't want to expose him by moving him up the organization, killing his value.

Exactly. Hudson got the exact opposite treatment. He got the "This kid is going to be in the big leagues soon and its going to be with us" treatment.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
I like this. It makes me feel like something big is in the works again

I was listening to the score and KW mentioned that he views Jordan Danks right now the same way he was looking at Beckham at this time last year.

I wouldn't be suprised if Jordan Danks fills up that final outfield spot, while KW spends the rest of the winter patching up the bullpen and bringing in a left handed power hitter (Adrian Gonzalez). . . :bringit

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
I wouldn't be suprised if Jordan Danks fills up that final outfield spot, while KW spends the rest of the winter patching up the bullpen and bringing in a left handed power hitter (Adrian Gonzalez). . . :bringit

2 weeks ago I'd have been shocked to hear talk of D2: the mighty danks taking over the OF spot. Then I was shocked when I saw the talk. Now, I wouldn't be all that surprised. I just hope we'd bring in a major bat to DH if we risk D2 in the 9 slot.