Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Where are you reading that?

Where am I reading what? There has been all kinds of talk from the Sox about improving their defense, and there was just a blurb that came out saying the Sox are back in on Pods.

Please don't do it, Kenny. Kotsay was a good baseball move, but Pods however is not.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Where am I reading what? There has been all kinds of talk from the Sox about improving their defense, and there was just a blurb that came out saying the Sox are back in on Pods.

Please don't do it, Kenny. Kotsay was a good baseball move, but Pods however is not.

Tony posted that Merkin Tweeted it last night.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
The rational part of my mind tells me that Danks needs to stay in the minors for another year, but the prospect whore part of me wants him their opening day. I think we might be able to afford that gamble assuming we can get some legitimate pop for the DH.

I agree and I want Jordan in the minors next year. However, you have to look at the alternatives too. If the Sox are thinking about giving a bunch of money to a veteran who is either a liability in the field or at the plate, they may as well just save their money and run Jordan out there.

I hope it doesn't come to that though. There are other cheap defensive solutions out there, which is pretty much what Jordan would be at this point, and the salary these guys cost should be worth it just to give Jordan the extra year of development. If Danks isn't ready then they shouldn't bring him up for cost concerns because we've seen this movie before, and last time it was The Brian Anderson Story.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)

They'll re-sign Podsednik and pickup either Thome or Blalock to DH and call it an offseason lineup wise, this will make it very hard for me to go into next year with an optimistic outlook.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
They'll re-sign Podsednik and pickup either Thome or Blalock to DH and call it an offseason lineup wise, this will make it very hard for me to go into next year with an optimistic outlook.

Are we the Twins? Because that's a Twins-like offseason, and as bad as it looks right now, I can't see the Sox being that inept. If so, Kenny will be wondering aloud yet again why the fans aren't showing up. Is it because of the economy? Is it because I built a s***ty baseball team? Hmmmm......

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
^^^

It sounds like that report was a little premature. Apparently the Sox just aren't that excited to have Scott back. Like a lot of us, they just don't feel like he can duplicate his 2009 again.

Or play the field.

Even with Rios in CF, we'd still be looking at Pods-Rios-CQ which is atrocious defensively.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
It sounds like that report was a little premature. Apparently the Sox just aren't that excited to have Scott back. Like a lot of us, they just don't feel like he can duplicate his 2009 again.

That's why they have Danks and De Aza as backup plans when Podsednik goes down sometime in the first 2 months. Very exciting.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Ugh. We talked about this privately, but the Danks talk is getting insane. He put up an OPS under .700 in AA last year, yet people are penciling him into RF and leading off. 70 AB's in the AFL isn't going to change my mind either.

He basically didn't hit at all until Arizona after he injured his wrist. The White Sox must think he is completely healthy and that his second half was injury-induced and NOT just a matter of regression to the mean. Even before he got hurt he did strike out a lot and did have an unrealistically high BABIP--so you may very well be right that he is still far off.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Ugh. We talked about this privately, but the Danks talk is getting insane. He put up an OPS under .700 in AA last year, yet people are penciling him into RF and leading off. 70 AB's in the AFL isn't going to change my mind either.

Agreed. He's just not ready. Anybody think his hype is all about building up trade value? And Tony...I don't think your Jenks/Hudson/Gartrell whoever for Crawford talk is all that insane at all. Danks could very well be involved in those talks.

If we could get Chapman for the pen (one year thing, starter next year), and if we could get a legitimate-DH/1B (I’m talking Dunn-esque or Gonzalez) I would take Jordan Danks in our outfield. He’s not the best option, but I don’t think it would be a complete disaster, and if our financial priorities need to be focused elsewhere then so be it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Out of curiousity, how much of Jordan Danks have people actually seen that are saying if he is ready or not?

I imagine a lot of it is just conjecture from what the organization says about him. The numbers don't lie, Danks could use another years in the minors. Preferably, in AA too. I just think if other moves need to be placed before that spot in the OF, we could do a lot worse then throwing Danksy out there, and hoping like hell he swims instead of sinks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Out of curiousity, how much of Jordan Danks have people actually seen that are saying if he is ready or not?

I would think Buddy Bell has seen plenty of JD2's games, and he was the first to say he's Major League ready. Keep in mind, Buddy Bell also thought DeWayne Wise was a hidden gem.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)

I think you're right because they considered Peavy & Rios moves for this year too

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I would think Buddy Bell has seen plenty of JD2's games, and he was the first to say he's Major League ready. Keep in mind, Buddy Bell also thought DeWayne Wise was a hidden gem.

IIRC, Buddy said that DeWayne could contribute more than Jerry Owens. For 2008, I think that history proved him right.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
All this talk about a RF, where KW could just as easily get a LF and move Quentin to RF. There is always that option as well.

How exactly does that help? Are there a lot of guys out there who are good LFs but terrible RF's? Or are people just saying RF as a stand-in for "corner outfielder with a decent bat and hopefully decent glove"

The sox could very well be looking at this type of lineup in 2010. Can't say I'm overly impressed. But it would be an upgrade defensively.

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix

Mark Kotsay

De Aza

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
How exactly does that help? Are there a lot of guys out there who are good LFs but terrible RF's? Or are people just saying RF as a stand-in for "corner outfielder with a decent bat and hopefully decent glove"

I have no idea what your talking or comming from with this. Quentin was once a stud RF for Stanford and through the minors comming up with Zona not to mention it's his natural position and some FA guys or guys to be traded only can play LF. I doubt any org. would put Bay, Crawford, Holliday, Cust, Burrell etc.. in RF when a couple of them listed are very good defensively in LF. All I'm saying is KW is definitely keeping his options open. There's always Rios as well though KW did say he's gonna be in CF. I would honestly prefer Q to be at DH myself though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
The sox could very well be looking at this type of lineup in 2010. Can't say I'm overly impressed. But it would be an upgrade defensively.

1. [DH] Scott Podsednik

2. [2B] Gordon Beckham

3. [LF] Carlos Quentin

4. [1b] Paul Konerko

5. [C] AJ Pierzynski

6. [CF] Alex Rios

7. [3b] Mark Teahen

8. [sS] Alexei Ramirez

9. [RF] Jordan Danks

Bench:

Tyler Flowers

Jayson Nix