You're KW in the offseason

2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
Acquire a position player the fans can get excited about. You did it with Peavy, KW, on the mound. Now do it in the field. Granderson would be that guy. Get him.

Or Nate McLouth. Get him.

Or Dunn. Or Manny. Get us a name position player or DH type.

There is slim to no chance of any of these players being acquired for reasons ranging from "just signed a deal/got extended" to "not being traded within the division"

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 02:07 AM)
If I'm Kenny I call up Jed Hoyer and offer Flowers/Hudson/Viciedo/Retherford/Link for AGon, as a base. Then I add to the trade by throwing in Torres/PTBNL (Mitchell, when we can) for Bell. Finally, I toss in Hynick for Poreda (think Gio Gonzalez, where we reacquire a prospect).

Then I resign Pods for left field.

Sign Olivo for backup catcher.

Lineup:

LF - Pods

SS - Ramirez

2B - Beckham

1B - Gonzalez

RF - Quentin

DH - Konerko

C - AJ

CF - Rios

3B - Teahen

That lineup has really good potential if people can just get over last years issues.

Rotation stays the same (Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia)

Bullpen looks like:

CL - Jenks

SU - Bell

SU - Thornton

MR - Linebrink

MR - Nunez

LR/MR - Poreda

LR - Carrasco

Bench:

1B/OF - Kotsay

OF - De Aza

C - Olivo

2B/SS/3B - Nix

Why would Carlos Torres have value? He is 27 years old, occassionally has a very hard time throwing strikes, doesn't throw very hard, and has a MLB ERA over 6.00. He could be used as filler in a trade, but no team would give you anything worthwhile, especially when it really isn't a salary dump with Mr. Torres being the main prize coming back.

To answer the original question, I think KW is in a great spot heading into the offseason. It will be a late developing offseason for the most part I believe. I think Kenny will shop Konerko and Jenks early on and inquire about Crawford/ Gonzalez and others. If all fails he will make a few minor trades and a few low key FA signings will happen to open the season. Awaiting the prospects to become major league ready. Seems like most teams are trying to figure out the market value of experienced players. The value of prospects is high with many teams in budget trouble.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Why would Carlos Torres have value? He is 27 years old, occassionally has a very hard time throwing strikes, doesn't throw very hard, and has a MLB ERA over 6.00. He could be used as filler in a trade, but no team would give you anything worthwhile, especially when it really isn't a salary dump with Mr. Torres being the main prize coming back.

I sell that AAA Perfect game to death.

Oh, also, I hire Robbie Gould as Alex Rios' personal motivator. And by that, I mean, every time Rios K's with people on, he gets a swift kick to the...you can finish that.

I think the sox could go one of two ways:

1] they could target Chone Figgins [or an All Star type talent via the trade route] and spend basically all the offseason cash [the $10, 11 mill.] on him. That would mean picking up a DH on the cheap [$1 mill. deal] and filling the bullpen holes from within, or on minor league deals, or a trade. That would also mean moving Teahen to RF or DH.

or

2] They could spend money on mid level talent such as on a Randy Winn for RF [$5 mill.], Thome for DH [$3 mill], and the rest on bullpen arms.

I'm torn which way to go. With the starting pitching so strong, the sox should take advantage of this opportunity to win now and the near future. Getting a leadoff man such as Figgins means the sox could bring up Danks and Flowers in the next year or two and ease them into the lineup at the bottom of the order. Yet the sox would handcuff themselves with a Figgins contract for likely 4 years. With Konerko's contract coming off the books in 2011, it might be doable. It's a tough market for Kenny to improve the sox.

Edited by beck72

Trade Jenks/Linebrink cash for some good prospects.. sign andruw jones 2yr, 4 million; sign Xavier Nady 3 year, 24 million; Thome 1 year 4 million; Alex Cora 1 year/1 mil; Chad Cordero 1 year/500k; Dotel 1 year 5 million... DO NOT TRADE ANY PROSPECTS UNLESS ITS PROSPECT FOR PROSPECT.

Change Rio's approach at plate and make him leadoff because he has good speed.. try to get xavier nady and if you can bring back thome.. if not I would get vlad/pods instead but would rather have thome/nady. I think we would have a solid bench, a team the fans would like, very competitive, overall good team. Bullpen would be the only thing that may need work though.

CF Rios

2B Beckham

RF Nady or Pods if we sign Vlad

DH Quentin

1B Konerko

C AJ P

DH Thome

SS Ramirez

3B Teahan

Bench

Kotsay

Andruw Jones

Nix

Flowers

Alex Cora

Peavy

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Garcia

Thorton

Dotel

Chad Cordero

Carrasco

Nunez

Pena

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
^^^^

sign andruw jones 2yr, 4 million; sign Xavier Nady 3 year, 24 million

That's insane for Nady. 1 year 2 million will be closer to what he gets, Jones will not got a 2 year contract either. Minor league deal for Jones again most likely.

My fault... I had Vlad's name there and changed it and your numbers are closer to what he'll get.. Cordero had 4ip pitched in 08 that's why the 2.00 whip, he's low risk and very cheap if, and he can pitch if healthy.

Trade Konerko and cash for Wood

Hudson, Viciedo, Retherford, Wood, Shelby, Ely for Adrian Gonzalez.

Sign Aroldis Chapman, Leslie Anderson

Sign Nick Johnson

Trade Linebrink for Bradley

Offer Dotel Arb.

Batting order: Rios, Beckham, Quentin, Gonzalez, Bradley, Johnson, Pierzynski, Ramirez, Teahen

Bench Kotsay, Nix, Flowers, Anderson

Rotation: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Garcia

Bullpen: Dotel, Pena, Nunez, Carrasco, Chapman,Thornton, Jenks

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Trade Konerko and cash for Wood

Hudson, Viciedo, Retherford, Wood, Shelby, Ely for Adrian Gonzalez.

Sign Aroldis Chapman, Leslie Anderson

Sign Nick Johnson

Trade Linebrink for Bradley

Offer Dotel Arb.

Batting order: Rios, Beckham, Quentin, Gonzalez, Bradley, Johnson, Pierzynski, Ramirez, Teahen

Bench Kotsay, Nix, Flowers, Anderson

Rotation: Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Garcia

Bullpen: Dotel, Pena, Nunez, Carrasco, Chapman,Thornton, Jenks

It's all for fun and games, but that payroll would be somewhere around $110+ mill. And further, if you are going to include that much for Adrian Gonzalez, you may as well either get Bell chipped in or give up one more prospect to get him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
It's all for fun and games, but that payroll would be somewhere around $110+ mill. And further, if you are going to include that much for Adrian Gonzalez, you may as well either get Bell chipped in or give up one more prospect to get him.

I tried to free up cap by trading Bobby, and realized i couldn't do it and get anything substantial in return without giving up Danks and panicked.

Edited by Thunderbolt