AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Cowley must be mad because we all didnt care about his preseason skits with the ballclub

I'll tell you what. The first time Cowley does something that he didn't learn from Kotex boy, maybe I will acknowledge him as something more than a second rate hack who thinks he is more important than what he is actually reporting.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Wow...

Sounds like Cowley has been sippin on some Haterade...

In any deal like this, GMJ probably ends up on the Sox. If we send Konerko to the Angels and are getting a spect back it is likely because we are eating a bad contract. GMJ would fit defensively in the OF and hold the CF spot until Danks2/Mitchell are ready. The Angels would probably include someone like Wood, a guy who has no spot in their plans, with Izturis likely shifting the 3B. Konerko would be their DH and that would prevent them from having to use GMJ in that role. I dont know why the Padres would be interested in Wood at all though, his bat seems a lot better fit for the Cell than Petco.

His comments on twitter basically indicate that the report is correct, but that the Sox have been rebuffed when approaching SD with these things. I suppose we'll just see if anything progresses.

Cowley is so petty, there's like zero professionalism whenever he's interviewed. I'd rather someone not be a Comcast Sportsnite robot, but the other extreme is believing you're the funniest guy on earth and showing it at every turn like this dude.

I think most people leave this seeing SoxNet being more professional than him.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Sounds like Joe Cowley is jealous that people on this site have sources that are better than his. Here are his last few tweets:

Sun-Times first reported the Sox were interested in Adrian Gonzalez back on Oct. 6, and was informed by the club couldn’t happen.

Then some site called SoxNet.net – written in the basement of a trekkie turned blogger – jumps n the pile late with no sources.

The sad part? Poor Gonzo is told by his dictator SE to give validity to a blog on their own website like it’s to be taken seriously.

I read those a little bit ago and thought to myself "sour grapes".

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
We're also talking about the 2011-12 offseason here, and IMO that's too far away to really speculate on. If some dude came on this board around this time in 2005 and stated that the Tigers would give an 8 year, $152M contract to Miguel Cabrera in 2 years, I doubt anyone here would have believed him. Two years from now the Baltimore Orioles could look like the next juggernaut for all we know.

Fair enough.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
To play devil's advocate, what was the purpose of posting something like this if it's in such a preliminary stage and there isn't a any verifiable source to link this to? Wouldn't you expect people like Cowley to laugh at it?

To get the scoop. It's basic reporting. if you have a source.. and preferably two or three sources that tell you the same thing... you run with it. I dont know if SoxNet was using a single source, or multiple, but if they believe they can trust the person, you run with it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
The problem is getting one of those guys. That's about one 40 HR, 110 RBI man for every 3 teams.

This is why I for one would love to get Gonzales here, even if we have to give up all of our top 5 prospects. What are the odds that one of Danks 2, Morell, Flowers, etc., ever turn into a 40 HR, 110 RBI hitter? Even if one of them does it will be at least 3 - 4 years down the road and by then our starting staff will be gone. We need to do this now if it is possible.

absolutely zero

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
To get the scoop. It's basic reporting. if you have a source.. and preferably two or three sources that tell you the same thing... you run with it. I dont know if SoxNet was using a single source, or multiple, but if they believe they can trust the person, you run with it.

We ran with it as is, based our info and reported it to ensure that no one thought this was a done deal. The fact that the teams have had discussions is relevant, where they go and what ultimately happens, I don't know, but the fact that they had them is newsworthy, imo.

At least for fans that want to know what the club is trying to do.

I'm on a Bulls board where an information providing poster mentioned something about a Hinrich/Wallace for Hughes/Gooden trade one offseason. Nothing happened and he was laughed at, then months later at the deadline the deal went through in a different form. He also broke the Jalen Rose trade.

Many times he has mentioned things that dont happen.

I suppose if you have a source, you just give the boards all your info on negotiations, and maybe 25% of the time negotiations succeed. And the 75% it doesnt go thru, you take heat from posters who know nothing but fill up with jealousy faster than a test tube.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
I dont claim to know or read Cowley's article, but the sign of a poor argument is personal attacks.

The statement, "written in the basement of a trekkie turned blogger ", is completely irrelevant.

that's just how Cowley attacks. He's a very strange man. Go back and read some of his stuff around the time of when the bears played the Steelers.