AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
I really liked Cowley pre-Twitter/Score.

I remember his articles in the Southtown being pretty solid. I stopped reading it after the merger, but always appreciated the Southtown's sports columnists (Gleason, Arvia, etc.).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
I have many back and forths with him where we basically attacked each other over the course of weeks. He's a douche. Nothing professional will ever come back to you from him. This is a guy who was ousted by his own peers from voting for awards in the very subject he "reports" on. He doesnt even have the access to the clubhouse he claims, and this is backed up by several players comments to me personally.

What is this referring to? I didn't hear this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
What is this referring to? I didn't hear this.

From Wikipedia:

Cowley gained notoriety nationally when he admitted on Tuesday Nov. 21, 2006 on the Mike and the Mad Dog show, which is heard on WFAN New York, to be the only writer to vote Derek Jeter in sixth place on the American League MVP ballot. However, if Cowley had placed Jeter first on the ballot, Justin Morneau still would have won.

That was the second such incident for Cowley; after omitting Blue Jays players Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells, two top-ten overall finishers, from his 2003 AL MVP ballot, the Chicago chapter suspended him from voting the next year. They accused Cowley of not voting seriously, saying he "embarrassed" the Chicago chapter of the BBWAA.

I think a lot of these writers have a hate for the blogs -- largely because it's taking their jobs. The SunTimes is near folding, the Trib is basically holding on til that happens. Obviously not in an intentional way, but it doesnt take a genius to realize a lot of us get for free (free in a sense) what past generations paid for and relied on in the morning paper.

That does not excuse Mr Cowley's lack of professionalism, but at the same time these are people's livelihoods. I can at least see why there'd be tension. Sam Smith always used to write about how much he hated blogs. Then upon accepting a buyout, he became what he hated.

Sam Smith handled that in a more classy manner, I would say. Even if I disagreed with him, it was better than what Cowley did today.

If the larger media conglomerates are now starting to run/influence/promote the blogs, that is an issue that (Cowley aside) I would find a little fishy. To me, that is worth bringing up (again, preferably in a classy manner). I like how the internet allows us to participate and control what is fed to us. If that is being compromised, yes I have a problem with it.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
I think a lot of these writers have a hate for the blogs -- largely because it's taking their jobs. The SunTimes is near folding, the Trib is basically holding on til that happens.

That does not excuse Mr Cowley's lack of professionalism, but at the same time these are people's livelihoods. Sam Smith always used to write about how much he hated blogs. Then upon accepting a buyout, he became what he hated.

There's no doubt about it........first thing I do each day is go to Soxtalk for my White Sox news.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I think a lot of these writers have a hate for the blogs -- largely because it's taking their jobs. The SunTimes is near folding, the Trib is basically holding on til that happens.

Lots of truth to this. Honestly, what skills does Cowley have that the average college graduate with a passion for baseball doesn't?

If the larger media conglomerates are now starting to run the blogs, that is an issue that (Cowley aside) is something I find a little fishy. I like how the internet allows us to participate and control what is fed to us. If that is being compromised, yes I have a problem with it.

Well, that's the entire point of blogs: they're independent. The media conglomerates have a presence on the internet as well, but that doesn't mean that they control the medium.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Lots of truth to this. Honestly, what skills does Cowley have that the average college graduate with a passion for baseball doesn't?

Well, that's the entire point of blogs: they're independent. The media conglomerates have a presence on the internet as well, but that doesn't mean that they control the medium.

I will point out that the Tribune in no way shape or form tells us what we put up on our blog. We are completely independent of the newspaper.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)

Where we're at today is that the newspapers battle with each other to be the first to give a blog report credence. Or to be the first to quash a blog report.

It's just a weird situation where something previously independent now has these larger entities involving themselves. Which I suppose shows how desperate they are. It will be weirder i suppose when SunTimes goes under.

Continued correspondance with Lil' Joe...

First of all, I respect some bloggers out there that stay in their lane and understand what they are doing. There are some that are very entertaining. You aren’t one of them.

Actually, I’m still waiting to hear of that wave of news you are breaking in Birmingham.

You don’t see me coming to the carnie and telling you how to set up the teacup ride or how well-shaved the bearded lady should be on a daily basis, so don’t tell me how you can do my job. You can’t. You don’t have the training, the access or the staying power.

You’re a frustrated writer with a laptop. There’s a reason the Sox won’t credential bloggers – because they are children with a gun in too many cases.

Now, if I want you to get involved in anything I am saying about another blog site I will let you know. Until then, sit in the corner and let the adults talk.

Your buddy,

JC

My response...

I get to see the White Sox future players before you ever do, keep that in mind. I know more about them now than you'll know in 3 or 4 years. I spent the entire season answering question after question from people about Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Poreda, Dayan Viciedo, Clevelan Santeliz and C.J. Retherford. I know Jason Gage, so I have every right to stick up for him. He's not "getting out of his lane." I know it's difficult to do your job nowadays because you're usually the last person to find out something, but that doesn't give you the right to demean or patronize anybody. Stop worrying about who knows what first, it's not a pissing contest. You reporters are so full of yourselves, it's sad. I thought Jay Hineybird was bad, but you're worse. Other people who aren't in your dying industry have sources, face facts. Get off your high horse and stop being such a smug know it all snob. You're a dinosaur and you're close to being extinct. Nobody wants your job, they don't want to be unemployed and s**t out of luck in 5 years.

Cheers,

JPN

Edited by JPN366

Can't believe that they are basically siding with Cowley and saying the report is false, dont they understand that its preliminary talks and that the site actually said that they just talked, nothing was in place yet?

They did absolutely no research on their part to even see if the source was legit, they just didnt recognize the Sox Net name so dismissed it as a Tribune ploy.

Disgusting.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
Other people who aren't in your dying industry have sources, face facts. Get off your high horse and stop being such a smug know it all snob. You're a dinosaur and you're close to being extinct. Nobody wants your job, they don't want to be unemployed and s**t out of luck in 5 years.

Zing!

The only thing that Cowley has over anybody here is access, and that comes from Cowley's employer, not Cowley's skill set.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Can't believe that they are basically siding with Cowley and saying the report is false, dont they understand that its preliminary talks and that the site actually said that they just talked, nothing was in place yet?

They did absolutely no research on their part to even see if the source was legit, they just didnt recognize the Sox Net name so dismissed it as a Tribune ploy.

Disgusting.

Then maybe somebody that writes for Sox Net should call B&B and educate them.