AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
You would think a guy who beat cancer and gets paid to do what he does would be wound a little less tightly. I could understand how a guy writing for a paper would really despise any and all bloggers, but if the information is wrong, why would it upset him so much? The only way Cowley is going to look bad is if he gets scooped by a blogger. If anything he just made a lot more people read the blog. He really is a loser. He thinks he's a writer, comedian, talk show host, but all he really is is an insecure hack.

I agree. I don't understand why he couldn't have just said "That's something that came out of a White Sox fan message board or blog. Why don't we all agree to let them dream..."

And that would have been just fine with me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
im sorry to say writting e-mail to cowley isnt going to much begin with. cowley said it all in his twitter and I even knew before that he was jackass. just ignore the twit and keep doing good work ya do here.

You're right, the only thing its going to do is give him something he will stick in your face if the trades never occur. I do know Cowley used to post occassionally on whitesoxinteractive but got into a fight and was banned. It would shock me if he isn't reading this thread laughing at what his big mouth has caused, thinking how wonderful he is. IMO, the guy has a screw loose.

OTOH, if the trades did go down, do you think his bosses at the ST would be livid he didn't have the scoop and popped off like he did? He probably would be re-assigned to High School hockey.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
You're right, the only thing its going to do is give him something he will stick in your face if the trades never occur. I do know Cowley used to post occassionally on whitesoxinteractive but got into a fight and was banned. It would shock me if he isn't reading this thread laughing at what his big mouth has caused, thinking how wonderful he is. IMO, the guy has a screw loose.

I'm sure he's reading this site too. I'm sure he's read most of this thread. He's probably here right now.

To be honest with you, half his articles are probably just compilations of ideas he's seen here. I know if I was in his position, mine certainly would be.

Let him read and do whatever he likes. It's not like this site knows if hes on here or not. Just don't let critiscim effect your way of telling us about what is going on. We all thank you for doing so. If you didn't expect some harsh words coming back then don't print the story. If some guy posted on becachreport or whatever website someone uses and said sox were going make a deal people be bashing that person as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
I agree. I don't understand why he couldn't have just said "That's something that came out of a White Sox fan message board or blog. Why don't we all agree to let them dream..."

And that would have been just fine with me.

Or that he read a rumor on a blog, but his sources told him otherwise. There was no need for the insults. Just being a pompous jerk for the hell of it.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Let him read and do whatever he likes. It's not like this site knows if hes on here or not. Just don't let critiscim effect your way of telling us about what is going on. We all thank you for doing so. If you didn't expect some harsh words coming back then don't print the story. If some guy posted on becachreport or whatever website someone uses and said sox were going make a deal people be bashing that person as well.

The irony in all this is that the story went pretty far in terms of who was asked to comment in regards to it. Chicago, San Diego, LA...The fact that all these parties were asked about the story only goes to show you that the print and radio media now realizes that they can be scooped from anywhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Funny you mention this, my unofficial broadcast career started last Friday doing play-by-play for the GVSU Hockey team. Remember that PM you sent me a while back? That was reassuring. :lol"

Oh, and my favorite line from the reponse he sent you: "so don’t tell me how you can do my job. You can’t. You don’t have the training, the access or the staying power."

I wish I could pass along more reassurance, but unfortunately I can't. Better to know ahead of time than later on.

Everyone these days find out websites that say deals are close to happened and I noticed alot of them are getting alot of attention. I cant list for examples but there are other websites people and media are finding it quick. It just shows ya that bloggers and other people websites are now be shown to big media people.

Another important thing for everyone to realize is the viewership Soxtalk gets. It is not some small potatoe publication, the site has an incredibly high volume of traffic and a lot of media power.

We aren't just some small blog that has no history of being accurate in the past. We are one of the largest independent fan run team specific message board, with sister blogs, and connections.

Just think, Soxtalk's message board traffic is greater than the boards of Whitesox.com, Local Media, & ESPN.com combined.

Now, I'm going to preface this that I would love to see this going down as much as anyone, and I'm a huge Paulie fan. Everyone keeps talking about how the Angels have wanted Paulie for YEARS now, and we may assume that they are still interested in him now. But we also know that Paulie is not the same player that he was in '04/'05 when the Angels were shopping for him. Flash forward to the White Sox and KW pursuing Griffey for years... At the time KW first expressed his interest in KGJ he was still stroking it... similar to Paulie and the Angels years ago (and in all honesty, Griffey is GRIFFEY and Paulie was never at the same level). Flash forward again to the value of what KW actually gave up when he finally got his guy...

What I'm saying here is that while the Angels may have had interest in Paulie for years, the value in this trade is nearly negligible and we'll likely end up throwing money/prospects to LAA in addition to SD.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
2 months after I graduated I got married, I needed better money than beginner radio money. So, I went to work as the technology coordinator at my church. It payed better.

No surprise there.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Now, I'm going to preface this that I would love to see this going down as much as anyone, and I'm a huge Paulie fan. Everyone keeps talking about how the Angels have wanted Paulie for YEARS now, and we may assume that they are still interested in him now. But we also know that Paulie is not the same player that he was in '04/'05 when the Angels were shopping for him. Flash forward to the White Sox and KW pursuing Griffey for years... At the time KW first expressed his interest in KGJ he was still stroking it... similar to Paulie and the Angels years ago (and in all honesty, Griffey is GRIFFEY and Paulie was never at the same level). Flash forward again to the value of what KW actually gave up when he finally got his guy...

What I'm saying here is that while the Angels may have had interest in Paulie for years, the value in this trade is nearly negligible and we'll likely end up throwing money/prospects to LAA in addition to SD.

I'll take a busted middle infield prospect and a live bullpen arm for Konerko. s***, I'd take the busted middle infield prospect for him so long as it was Brandon Wood.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
Okay there's nothing wrong with making it really clear how strong you feel about a point, but there's no need to demean callers/fans of the show just because they disagree with you.

Please, what B&B have been doing with Bears fans this season has been incredible radio.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
When people stop reading newspapers, money is lost. When people stop reading blogs, what exactly is lost except someones (often) anonymous reputation? These consequences are not the same.

And as for your second sentence, it's basically enforces what I stated earlier. If you're paid for your work, are you willing to throw out something in the chance that it's accurate? What risks do bloggers assume here? If they're right, awesome; if not, well, it was just a rumor and the blog exist to give fans everything as they hear it.

Most successful bloggers make money via advertising revenue. So, yes, money is lost, as is the livelihood of somebody who's willing to work hard doing something that they really enjoy in their spare time for not nearly enough money to live on.

And even if newspapers lose readership from irresponsible reporting, since when are professional media are held accountable for spewing inaccuracies? Have you read some of the Sox-related conjecture that Cowley has been absolutely dead-wrong about? Yet, he still has a job covering a professional sports team for the second-largest newspaper in the fourth-largest city in America. A blogger with Cowley's track record could only dream of that level of professional and financial support.

The only differences between professional sports journalists and highly-reputable bloggers are salary and access. And, in this particular case, maturity.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
You would think a guy who beat cancer and gets paid to do what he does would be wound a little less tightly.

Or would at least have a more mature perspective on life.

Edited by WCSox

I wrote Cowley an e-mail talking about how I am a journalism major at Missouri and basically blasting his morals and ethics as a journalists. I told him that he is exactly the opposite of what we are taught journalists should be like. His response:

"Go to law school kid. Do yourself a favor. And tell them Uncle Joe sent you.

You'll thank me later."