AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

A player that could be had for cheap and be stashed away at Charlotte would be Chris Gimenez from Cleveland. He can play first, the corner outfield spots and catcher in a pinch. He's 27, so maybe late bloomer potential.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:49 AM)
Just a thought here...

Kila Ka'ahuie has a .344/.447/.656/1.104 line in ST. Royals appear ready to stick with Butler at 1B. Kila would be sent back to AAA. I cannot believe the Sox haven't looked at him - he looks to me like he's in the position TCQ was prior to 2008 (raked in minors, then had a bad AAA year, and is stuck behind someone), and he's a lefty power bat that could be had for cheap.

Would you rather give up Hudson/Flowers/Danks2/Morel for 1.5 or 2 years of Gonzo, or give up only one of those (at most) and get 5 years of Kila for cheap, and still leave money room for some other big acquisition later if Kila ends up a flop?

Remember, Quentin was also a #1 pick who had shown good power numbers at the major league level as well. I'm not saying Kila doesn't have a shot to be solid but I don't think he's in the same league as Quentin was when the Sox acquired him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Remember, Quentin was also a #1 pick who had shown good power numbers at the major league level as well. I'm not saying Kila doesn't have a shot to be solid but I don't think he's in the same league as Quentin was when the Sox acquired him.

I'd agree that CQ had more potential. I was just noting the parallel in terms of situation they were both in, and the Sox team needs in both cases.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
I would give up Danks II over Morel any day of the week. Then again I don't see the big value in Danks as it is. Low power, high strike outs, will be 24 in August. :unsure:

I saw both play a lot last week. Danks impressed me and I was not a fan before. Big kid, very athletic, good speed and a decent swing. How much he will hit I don't know, but I can tell you the sox project him to be a .280 hitter with 15 hrs and 20 sbs and play gold glove defense. Ozzie said he has the best instincts of any outfielder he has seen.

Morel looked pretty good on defense when I saw him, made two nice plays on tough hops. He didn't have any good at bats however.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
Just a thought here...

Kila Ka'ahuie has a .344/.447/.656/1.104 line in ST. Royals appear ready to stick with Butler at 1B. Kila would be sent back to AAA. I cannot believe the Sox haven't looked at him - he looks to me like he's in the position TCQ was prior to 2008 (raked in minors, then had a bad AAA year, and is stuck behind someone), and he's a lefty power bat that could be had for cheap.

Would you rather give up Hudson/Flowers/Danks2/Morel for 1.5 or 2 years of Gonzo, or give up only one of those (at most) and get 5 years of Kila for cheap, and still leave money room for some other big acquisition later if Kila ends up a flop?

He's got a great eye at the plate, that is the one given. But in his one fantastic season in 2004, he was in AA for the 3rd straight season, and then only had ~30 games in AAA (where he did produce very well). Last season, his average dipped again, though his power and his eye were still there.

If anything, I think he'd be a better option off the bench than Mark Kotsay (who, even if considered an outfielder, really isn't anything special out there and is more of a backup 1Bman at this point), and I'd much rather have Kila as a stopgap than Kotsay.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
jesus, how old is he?

As Kyle mentioned, Jesus would be very old.

Kila, on the other hand, was drafted out of high school and has spent 8 seasons in the minors. He'll be entering his age 26 season this year, so it's about time the Royals either give him a shot or get something for him.