AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
I cringe everytime we talk about Sox prospects being dealt.

Why? Who has really burned us in the past?

As much potential as these guys are showing, if you land AGon its totally worth it. I mean, the probability all of the prospects will reach their potential is ridiculously low.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Shouldn't we wait to see if Allen turns out to be the next Chris Young first?

I'm totally in agreement that said people shouldnt overreact. But point being I think that Allen deal was the one prospect we'll deal for a low ceiling guy. Hudson and Flowers wont go anywhere unless it's a knockout punch.

I could be wrong.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm totally in agreement that said people shouldnt overreact. But point being I think that Allen deal was the one prospect we'll deal for a low ceiling guy. Hudson and Flowers wont go anywhere unless it's a knockout punch.

I could be wrong.

Why do people think of Pena as a low ceiling guy? He is a guy that if he realizes his potential could be a closer for us. Will that happen, I don't know.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

I could be wrong.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if Tony Pena turned into a decent closer sometime in the next few years, that's not exactly a low ceiling guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Why do people think of Pena as a low ceiling guy? He is a guy that if he realizes his potential could be a closer for us. Will that happen, I don't know.

Ya, low ceiling definitely isn't the term to use to describe Pena.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
Maybe a Sox prospect going to SD or LAA is Viciedo?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-1...,4524518.column

Take this article with a grain; I know the hitting sample size to claim Morel has surpassed Viciedo is small (12 games?), just thought it was something to point out to those that may have missed it.

Edited by The Baconator

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
It wouldn't be at all surprising if Tony Pena turned into a decent closer sometime in the next few years, that's not exactly a low ceiling guy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Ya, low ceiling definitely isn't the term to use to describe Pena.

Glad to see I am not alone here.

This still doesn't make any sense to me.

Konerko at his deal is really worth nothing.

If we send prospects to the Angels to get them to take Konerko, then we can't offer as strong of a package to SD.

If we send a bunch of cash to the Angels, of if we take on a bad contract from the Angels, then the appeal of Adrian Gonzalez just dropped because now he's not as cheap salary-wise as he had been before.

And the biggest oddity to me is why, if the Sox did have the goods in prospects to interest the Padres, would the Sox make Paulie part of the deal? If there's some interest in Paulie on the Angels side, wouldn't you try to get the Gonzalez deal done ASAP and then move on with Paulie, who is a lesser priority?

The GMJ inclusion that has been mentioned does make sense. He wants a trade and he wants to start, and SD is maybe the only place in baseball where that can happen. If the Sox were to send some cash (for Paulie) to the Padres instead of the Angels, and then the Angels were to eat the remaining amount on GMJ's deal save for $1-2M per, then that would make a lot of sense. The Angels could then send a prospect to SD to make up for the $6-8M or so of GMJ's contract that they would otherwise have had to eat if they straight released him.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)

Take this article with a grain; I know the hitting sample size to claim Morel has surpassed Viciedo is small (12 games?), just thought it was something to point out to those that may have missed it.

There is a discussion thread on this in FutureSox.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)

Morel looks like he has some real potential. Especially since he has only 11 errors last year.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
has this specific source made any predictions on trades or signings b4 that have turned out to be right?

SoxNet.net/Soxtalk have been a part of breaking the news on many ocassions, so yes, we have a track-record of being accurate.

But remember, we aren't saying a trade is imminent, just that the teams have had preliminary discussions. Whether it moves past that stage or not, we shall see.

Probably the scariest thing about GMJ inclusion here...as things stand he would actually... play for the Sox.

2009 - runners on: .326/.433 in 141 ABs.....scoring position w/ 2 out: .395/.519 in 43 at-bats. 4 of 7 w/ bases loaded.

Granted being in that lineup gets you some pitches to hit all year. He was atrocious w/ bases empty.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Probably the scariest thing about GMJ inclusion here...as things stand he would actually... play for the Sox.

2009 - runners on: .326/.433 in 141 ABs.....scoring position w/ 2 out: .395/.519 in 43 at-bats. 4 of 7 w/ bases loaded.

Granted being in that lineup gets you some pitches to hit all year. He was atrocious w/ bases empty.

That really means next to nothing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I just turned on the Score and they are doing Bears stuff. Dropped them an e-mail with the story.

I dont consider it much of a story at this point. The fact that teams have talked about a deal is a long way from anything happening.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
FWIW, A person that I know that is in the Padres organization has also told me that the trade is being discussed. He told me the Padres want Hudson in any deal for Adrian.

they can have him