How will AJ deal

Princess Dye

There have been two AJ's on this issue. He has talked about how he has enjoyed mentoring catchers in the past. But it seems like he has acted out on days Guillen sat him down...as was the case when Ozzie and Mike North got into it in heated fashion over some AJ comments to the media.

Whether at midseason or from day one, Flowers should spend time in the majors this year. One solution is getting him at-bats as a part time DH...however, he has to keep catching and developing, or else it's pointless to not have him in AAA.

How does AJ deal with this? If he's unhappy it's less likely he signs a hometown discount one year deal as I'm sure we'd like him to do for 2011. Just the fact TF is here maybe makes that impossible.

Edited by Princess Dye

Let me state first of all, like any other subject that can't be substantiated with facts, that this is just my opinion. I do not have access to the clubhouse or any team officials.

I appreciate tremendously what A. J. has done for the Sox, particularly 2005. That said, I feel the same way about A. J. as I have expressed about Konerko & Dye recently. Judging from some of the reports, they don't seem to me to be the best "team leaders". You can interpret what is meant by "team leader" any way that you want I guess, I'm not sure that I really know specifically what I mean. They seem to view themselves as leaders, yet if reports are to be believed they kind of take exception when someone else on the team wants to say something in this regard. That would be okay if their leadership style had the Sox winning consistantly, but since 2005 thay have barely scratched 1 division title out in what for the most part has been a weak division. With what seems like a 2nd half collapse every season it just doesn't seem to me that their leadership has been very effective and isn't inspiring their team mates on to "greatness". It doesn't seem like the team is unified to reach the ultimate goal, in fact, they seem sort of fractured.

That said, Dye is already gone for the most part and it would not upset me if A. J. and Konerko were sent on their way as well. It's not like any of them are so valuable on the field that they could not be replaced, they are more complimentary players now anyway on a championship team. If they want to accept a lesser role, where in A. J.'s case I think would prolong his career, then I'm fine with them here. To refuse to help a younger team mate along or welcome new additions to the team because they feel "threatened" is rather immature and not being a team player in my book. Ultimately this is something that K. W. and Ozzie need to decide how to handle, as their opinion is what counts here. But this is JMHO.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Let me state first of all, like any other subject that can't be substantiated with facts, that this is just my opinion. I do not have access to the clubhouse or any team officials.

I appreciate tremendously what A. J. has done for the Sox, particularly 2005. That said, I feel the same way about A. J. as I have expressed about Konerko & Dye recently. Judging from some of the reports, they don't seem to me to be the best "team leaders". You can interpret what is meant by "team leader" any way that you want I guess, I'm not sure that I really know specifically what I mean. They seem to view themselves as leaders, yet if reports are to be believed they kind of take exception when someone else on the team wants to say something in this regard. That would be okay if their leadership style had the Sox winning consistantly, but since 2005 thay have barely scratched 1 division title out in what for the most part has been a weak division. With what seems like a 2nd half collapse every season it just doesn't seem to me that their leadership has been very effective and isn't inspiring their team mates on to "greatness". It doesn't seem like the team is unified to reach the ultimate goal, in fact, they seem sort of fractured.

That said, Dye is already gone for the most part and it would not upset me if A. J. and Konerko were sent on their way as well. It's not like any of them are so valuable on the field that they could not be replaced, they are more complimentary players now anyway on a championship team. If they want to accept a lesser role, where in A. J.'s case I think would prolong his career, then I'm fine with them here. To refuse to help a younger team mate along or welcome new additions to the team because they feel "threatened" is rather immature and not being a team player in my book. Ultimately this is something that K. W. and Ozzie need to decide how to handle, as their opinion is what counts here. But this is JMHO.

As for the leadership thing, I think it really comes down to winning. If you're winning baseball games you feed off each other and get along when you have to, assuming you don't have a clubhouse full of cancers, which I don't think is the case with us.

Paulie really sunk down in 2007, then took a big crap all over the rest of this team in 2008, then did alright last year. Dye sucked for the first half of 2007 and the second half of 2009. AJ OTOH has been the same AJ more or less, so I've got no issues with him. He also doesn't seem to have the same general quiet attitude as some of the other veterans, and IIRC his best friends here were Crede and Rowand.

I think AJ is going to eventually end up as a mentor type at the tail end of his career, but he's not there yet. He'll be a starter for a few more years, and if it isn't with the Sox then it'll be elsewhere.

Personally I hope Flowers does all his learning in San Diego while AJ is here hitting behind Adrian Gonzalez. That's what I'd like to see.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
As for the leadership thing, I think it really comes down to winning. If you're winning baseball games you feed off each other and get along when you have to, assuming you don't have a clubhouse full of cancers, which I don't think is the case with us.

Paulie really sunk down in 2007, then took a big crap all over the rest of this team in 2008, then did alright last year. Dye sucked for the first half of 2007 and the second half of 2009. AJ OTOH has been the same AJ more or less, so I've got no issues with him. He also doesn't seem to have the same general quiet attitude as some of the other veterans, and IIRC his best friends here were Crede and Rowand.

I think AJ is going to eventually end up as a mentor type at the tail end of his career, but he's not there yet. He'll be a starter for a few more years, and if it isn't with the Sox then it'll be elsewhere.

Personally I hope Flowers does all his learning in San Diego while AJ is here hitting behind Adrian Gonzalez. That's what I'd like to see.

For most of this post I can't say that I disagree. As I mentioned I'm just not informed enough to form a strong opinion.

As for the bolded part........ :cheers Amen brotha preach it!

I like AJ, because he's the most fundamentally sound player on this team, but there's no doubt that he's a massive dick, and there's also very little doubt that he's probably very concerned about his well being as a player. I have no doubt he isn't very pleased at the inevitable passing of the torch, but he's a professional. He'll man up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
AJ has been the best leader by example through his preparation and his continuous will to win. There is no player on the Sox that has given more effort to this team over the last several years than AJ. He is the least of our worries.

I like this post. Additionally AJ wants to play. Who can blame him or any other good player? I just can't see Flowers being brought up to the bigs and then sit for the most part. He should probably start at AAA. I haven't seen him in many games at all at the big league level where he caught. AJ is the type of player who never gives up and wants to win all the time. You need that fire on the team. I really believe the Sox sign a second string cathcer.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/...nry-blanco.html

well apprently w sox are looking for backup catcher

Wasn't his deal something super cheap like $500,000 for last year? And the Cubs didn't pick it up so he left? I remember thinking he had to be the biggest steal at that position, given his arm and power numbers. At the time, I thought he would've been a great addition. Depending on Flowers realistic timeline and Blanco's asking price, it wouldn't be a bad idea (entirely). Granted I realize Ozzie doesn't like having multiple catchers on staff so Flowers wouldn't fit (which it seems everyone is saying that he will be up for an extended period this year). I guess what I'm saying is that for a cheap price and the right conditions, I would love to have Blanco as our backup; if it's not in the cards, I won't be at all upset with what we have.

If Flowers is traded it really puts the Sox in a spot. They bring in Blanco and then they risk severing the relationship with AJ.

As things stand now, I bet AJ would back for a series of short term cheaper deals........it would just have to guarantee him playing time.

It's the same deal if they keep Flowers though. AJ would be gone after this year, I'd bet

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
If Flowers is traded it really puts the Sox in a spot. They bring in Blanco and then they risk severing the relationship with AJ.

As things stand now, I bet AJ would back for a series of short term cheaper deals........it would just have to guarantee him playing time.

It's the same deal if they keep Flowers though. AJ would be gone after this year, I'd bet

Why???

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)

I don't understand the concern about AJ. Blanco and any back up catcher signed would be just that a back up. We have always had a back up for AJ

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)

I'm all for resigning A. J., but why would you guarantee anyone playing time? Especially an older player. If someone starts to suck you don't want to be forced to play them.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)

As opposed to asking him to teach and mentor his replacement? I think bringing a guy in on a cheap one year deal is better for AJ than working his successor in.