Official Boxing Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
I dont know how because I've never had to take blood tests but obviously Pacman thinks it hinders his performance by taking frequent tests up until fight time. Pacman said he's got no problem with a test a few weeks out and right after the fight so that should be good enough for Mayweather's camp.

This style of testing doesn't hurt Olympic athletes who undergo it so why would it hurt Pacman?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
This style of testing doesn't hurt Olympic athletes who undergo it so why would it hurt Pacman?

It's still unnecessary. It's not required by the state commission, so I don't know why Floyd's all for it all of a sudden.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
It's still unnecessary. It's not required by the state commission, so I don't know why Floyd's all for it all of a sudden.

Isn't Pacman a good 10 years older than Mayweather? Probably doesn't want him taking anything to get an advantage.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

Because it is probably really easy to beat the testing required by the state commission. Really, if you don't have anything to hide there is no reason not to agree to the testing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Because it is probably really easy to beat the testing required by the state commission. Really, if you don't have anything to hide there is no reason not to agree to the testing.

Agreed. I dunno, it's not as if Pac is so much more powerful than Floyd that Floyd couldn't handle himself. I'd actually be rooting or Floyd in this fight, which is why I'm wondering what's the real reason for him wanting blood samples.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)

Pacman isnt trying to hide anything. He already said he's willing to take a blood test in January, another random test during the final month of his camp and another right after the fight.

Mayweather didnt really want this fight to happen and it's showing. And boxing is wondering why MMA is starting to take fans away from their sport.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
That Sergio Martinez/Paul Williams matchup was a helluva fight,unfortunatly one of the judges was a complete moron scoring the fight lopsided towards Williams.

Fantastic fight. Have absolutely no idea what the hell that one judge was watching.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
Agreed. I dunno, it's not as if Pac is so much more powerful than Floyd that Floyd couldn't handle himself. I'd actually be rooting or Floyd in this fight, which is why I'm wondering what's the real reason for him wanting blood samples.

Well isn't it obvious? Floyd's camp is suspicious that Pac has used HGH in the past...

sounding more and more like the fight aint gonna happen. Pacquiao is now saying he is gonna sue Mayweather and his promotion company for defamation for accusing him of using PEDs. They are starting to make plans to still stage a Pacquiao fight on March 13, but vs. Paulie Malignaggi

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
sounding more and more like the fight aint gonna happen. Pacquiao is now saying he is gonna sue Mayweather and his promotion company for defamation for accusing him of using PEDs. They are starting to make plans to still stage a Pacquiao fight on March 13, but vs. Paulie Malignaggi

Now take this with a grain of salt, fellas, as I know nothing very little about boxing.

But Pacquiao is inviting the speculation himself by refusing to go through the Olympic-style testing, and then turning around and accusing Mayweather of defamation? He's bringing it on himself...

Has his camp come up with a legitimate reason to not undergo the Olympic-style testing (and not this "it could affect his performance" nonsense)?

There is no legit excuse. I'm not even sure Pac has a case against Golden Boy Promotions, PBF or his father. With the exception of his father, they have all questioned why he won't do it and speculating, but they haven't flat out said, "Pacman is doing steroids or other PED's" in which the court of law would dismiss the case, especially considering he won't go through Olympic testing. They're more so saying including Oscar, "Well, it makes you wonder considering he is 100 percent opposed to going through such testing".

I think his father may have said it flat out that he thinks he's doing PED's. Regardless, his case is not strong enough especially if any of the parties involve ask why he isn't suing Paul Maglignani(sp?) who has accused PacMan of the same thing, but Pacman will still fight him. I'll be too upset if this fight doesn't get done and it will all be aimed at Pacman.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I'll be too upset if this fight doesn't get done and it will all be aimed at Pacman.

So it's Pacman's fault the fight wont happen because he doesnt want do have random drug tests before the fight?

1. Olympic style drug testing isnt mandatory in pro boxing.

2. As stated before, Pacman has agreed to do 3 blood tests for this fight.

If Mayweather's camp is really concerned with PED's, then the 3 blood tests should be enough. Why should Pacman cave to every demand from Mayweather? I never expeceted this fight to happened because Floyd is too concerned with being undefeated. Mayweather thought he could accuse Pacman of drug use in hopes to play mind games and if Pacman didnt agree to them, Floyd's camp will just throw out claims and use that as a reason not to fight. Problem is, anyone with half a brain is seeing right thru this ploy and will blame Mayweather for not fighting.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
So it's Pacman's fault the fight wont happen because he doesnt want do have random drug tests before the fight?

1. Olympic style drug testing isnt mandatory in pro boxing.

2. As stated before, Pacman has agreed to do 3 blood tests for this fight.

If Mayweather's camp is really concerned with PED's, then the 3 blood tests should be enough. Why should Pacman cave to every demand from Mayweather? I never expeceted this fight to happened because Floyd is too concerned with being undefeated. Mayweather thought he could accuse Pacman of drug use in hopes to play mind games and if Pacman didnt agree to them, Floyd's camp will just throw out claims and use that as a reason not to fight. Problem is, anyone with half a brain is seeing right thru this ploy and will blame Mayweather for not fighting.

They are?? I've heard plenty of commentators question why Pacquiao refuses to just undergo the testing...

I wish people would stop saying MMA is stealing fans from Boxing :( It's so far from the truth

Boxing will outlast MMA, it's been around for hundreds of years and has had lulls in activity/popularity and has always bounced back

I personally can't stand watching MMA/UFC (I'm 29), whereas a lot of my friends prefer MMA/UFC over Boxing because "They don't throw knees in Boxing"

Boxing is limited by design, incase people didn't already know that.

• 2 weeks later...

Today Arum is saying the fight is off. Call me shocked and very dissapointed if this is true. I thought all of this was just hype or at worst to buy time because March 13th was going to be too quick.

I'm still holding out hope for this fight by the end of the year, it really needs to happen. Floyd was talking about Malinagi and I would have zero interest in that.

With March 13 barely two months away, I dont see it happening now, which totally sucks. Hopefully they can each win another fight, cool down and maybe try to work it out again for later in the year. It makes too much sense not to happen. I'm actually gonna be in Vegas that weekend too. I probably wasnt gonna spend the $$$$ to go the fight, but just being in the town with the pre-fight atmosphere would have been awesome.

watching Friday Night Fights on ESPN 2 last night they said that the Clottey/Pac-Man fight is all bet set for March 13th at Cowboys Stadium, basically Clottey has agreed to terms, nothing signed yet.

I just have a gut feeling that they fight before the end of the year, I just can't see them walking away from about 30m each, too much money, especially since Mayweather has, according to reports, had money problems the last year or so.

No word on who Mayweather may fight next, I've heard Malinagi or the winner of Berto/Mosley.

• 1 year later...