White Sox Interested In Coco Crisp

chetkincaid

White Sox Interested in Coco Crisp

By Mario Scalise

SoxNet.net

The Tribune's Mark Gonzales is reporting that the White Sox have expressed interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp, according to Crisp's agent, Steve Compt.

This would be a standard buy-low move. Crisp was hurt and mostly ineffective last season, but with only outfielder that's signed (not Pods), is a starter (not Kotsay), and doesn't have a history of injuries (not Quentin), the Sox can use all the depth they can get.

If signed, Crisp would fall in a similar category of Mark Teahen. He'll be on the roster, will get playing time, but the capacity of it would depend on how the rest of the off-season pans out.

At the very least, when healthy, Crisp has established himself as a solid offensive player with good defensive tools that can hit from both sides of the plate and steal you 15-20 bases a year. If the White Sox are in their current state two months from now and Crisp is signed ... it's a desperation signing. This early though, it's a good starting point, and would provide Ken Williams with a lot of flexibility.

Good God...

White Sox Interested In Coco Crisp

By Tim Dierkes [November 24 at 1:49pm CST]

The White Sox are showing interest in center fielder Coco Crisp, tweets Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. The Sox have been linked to Crisp in many rumors over the years.

It's been suggested Alex Rios will play center field for the 2010 Sox, though he could certainly remain in right field if they sign Crisp. Crisp, 30, hit .228/.336/.378 in 215 plate appearances for the Royals this year; his season ended in June and he eventually had surgery on both shoulders. The Royals chose a $500K buyout over Crisp's $8MM option for 2010.

Edited by Chisoxfn

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crisp had surgery on both shoulders that ended his season. If one of our players had surgery on both shoulders we'd be wanting him dumped and fast.

I could see us adding him, though. He'd be another huge question mark on a team with a lot of them.

If we acquired Crisp, we would then feature in our 2010 Opening Day line-up two of the nine starting players in the Royals' 2009 Opening Day line-up. And by two I mean two of their very mediocre players at that. How do we figure to compete for a championship if we continue collecting the likes of these kind of guys?

That may be the post of the month, Thad. Great point. I think the Sox are assuming that starting rotation puts us in the elite group and we don't need too much around it, except decent defense.

For that theory to work, the bullpen better be almost as great as the starting pitching. Because you can lose a lot of games from the seventh inning on, even if you get a quality start if the offense is mediocre to poor.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Is this the best we can do?? REALLY? CO CO CRISP?? .228 batting average?? Please NO!

I hope we can do better...

And I think they can and will do better. Nothing wrong with keeping Crisp as an option if everything else falls through. Better than last offseason where they had Jerry Owens failing again and Dewayne Wise leading off on opening day.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
And I think they can and will do better. Nothing wrong with keeping Crisp as an option if everything else falls through. Better than last offseason where they had Jerry Owens failing again and Dewayne Wise leading off on opening day.

Yeah, I'd say it's miles ahead of the Owens/Wise crap factory.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
I'd rather have Pods

Me too. Pods was healthy and performed yet we had people degrading his abilities becasue he had been hurt in the past. Now we have this rumor about being interested in Crisp, who was injured last year and hit .228 for crying out loud. We also are back to this how we have liked someone for years and now we can sign him. Yes because he is over the hill and cheap. We can do better IMO.

Edited by elrockinMT

Pods in the field was brutal enough for me. Coco can at least do something out there.

At the plate, Pods hit .320/.356 against lefties last year....... I sure hope it can happen again but I think we're going to be hard pressed to get that from him at 34.

Above all this...if they dont want to get someone great at leading off, I would heavily consider Gordon there.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Pods in the field was brutal enough for me. Coco can at least do something out there.

But if they dont want to get someone great at leading off, I would heavily consider Gordon there.

Pods is a better hitter and still has the speed. I am not so certain Crisp is that much better in the field

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Me too. Pods was healthy and performed yet we had people degrading his abilities becasue he had been hurt in the past. Now we have this rumor about being interested in Crisp, who was injured last year and hit .228 for crying out loud. We also are back to this how we have liked someone for years and now we can sign him. Yes because he is over the hill and cheap. We can do better IMO.

1.) Crisp is 30 years old, that's not over the hill.

2.) Do you honestly expect Crisp to hit .228 next year? If not then there's no reason to bring it up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Crisp had surgery on both shoulders that ended his season. If one of our players had surgery on both shoulders we'd be wanting him dumped and fast.

I could see us adding him, though. He'd be another huge question mark on a team with a lot of them.

And we did by dropping Wise and not resigning Crede. Now we are interested in a rehab from another team? Let's get excited about a guy who hit well versus the Sox? I am trying to see the win in that scenario