White Sox Interested In Coco Crisp

chetkincaid

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
Neither player will be offered arbitration. KW got lucky with O-Cab last year. He's not going play that same game again, especially with two guys that seem like they'd want to come back.

Do you think though that at least Dye wil be offered arb? Am I wrong to think that if he isn't we don't get compensdation from whoever signs him?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Do you think though that at least Dye wil be offered arb? Am I wrong to think that if he isn't we don't get compensdation from whoever signs him?

No because if we offer Dye arbitration he will accept and that is not a prudent allocation of funds for this year.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)

You're right about the compensation, unless some team signs him before the deadline to offer arbitration. However, that's not going to happen for a player like Dye.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)
I just wonder why we all assume Crisp will be good defensively. Surgery on both shoulders for a guy already not known for a gun?

Ranger's point is well taken IF everybody hits like they are capable we might be OK. Big if, but it's possible the lineup might score some runs. I wish they'd sign Thome and get that taken care of.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Thome return (if it were to happen). Not completely opposed to it, but I wouldn't mind seeing them move on, either. I think he will not e one of their first choices.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
While I agree with the bold part above, that's a fairly big leap to make. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Quentin was hampered to the point of ineffectiveness by injuries for the rest of his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Rios and Teahen continued to underperform either, and who knows how Crisp would even rebound from his surgeries. Even if you grant that some guys like AJ, Konerko, and Matsui/Thome won't decline from their previous seasons because you can really question whether anybody in baseball will be as good as they were last season, none of them are getting any younger. Konerko and Thome have already started to decline, and AJ is pretty much due for a regression anyways. If they all produce what is expected of them, they could be anywhere between average and above average depending upon your expectations, but there is just as good of a chance that they all implode than they all succeed.

That goes for just about every lineup in baseball (unless, of course, you're New York and you're fielding an All Star team). Like you said, you can say about every player that you aren't sure about repeated production, and that guys are getting older and due for regression, etc. It's not a big leap to say that the Sox lineup can be better than a below average lineup. I didn't say "great."

From everything I hear, it sounds like Quentin had made a ton of progress by the end of the year and there is reason to be hopeful he'll be productive again next year.

I wish they'd sign Thome and get that taken care of.

It's also worth noting that no team wants to sign someone before the arbitration deadline and then wind up giving up an extra draft pick because they jumped the gun. Sign Matsui right now, or Thome, and the other team can offer arbitration without having to worry about the player accepting because they already signed a contract with another team.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
From everything I hear, it sounds like Quentin had made a ton of progress by the end of the year and there is reason to be hopeful he'll be productive again next year.

Both Q and Rios seemed to be ripping the ball the last week. It was a bit too late but I liked how it looked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
It's also worth noting that no team wants to sign someone before the arbitration deadline and then wind up giving up an extra draft pick because they jumped the gun. Sign Matsui right now, or Thome, and the other team can offer arbitration without having to worry about the player accepting because they already signed a contract with another team.

How can you offer arbitration to a player on another team?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)
I just wonder why we all assume Crisp will be good defensively. Surgery on both shoulders for a guy already not known for a gun?

Ranger's point is well taken IF everybody hits like they are capable we might be OK. Big if, but it's possible the lineup might score some runs. I wish they'd sign Thome and get that taken care of.

Since when was arm everything on defense?

Having surgery on his shoulders does nothing to his legs, which is his biggest defensive asset. If you're that scared that his arm sucks, put him in left field.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
How can you offer arbitration to a player on another team?

If JD were to sign with Texas right now...it's still before the arbitration deadline. Thus, we could offer him arbitration but he'd still already be under contract with another team, so we'd steal Texas's draft pick by offering him arbitration.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
B&B just said there's breaking news on the Sox...I think it might have something to do with Crisp.

He'd be a good pickup and considering how little guaranteed money he'll receive you can still look for a leadoff hitting OF who's a better bet for 2010, Crisp would make a great 4th OF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
Both Q and Rios seemed to be ripping the ball the last week. It was a bit too late but I liked how it looked.

I thought so too. Q being healthy will be a major plus don't you think? And Rios settling in and working with Walker hopefully spells a productive Rios.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Crisp would really need to play LF, his arm in center would cost the team a ton of bases over the course of a season.

I'm late to the party....but wouldn't the outfield be LF Crisp, CF Rios, RF Quentin be almost a certainty if Crisp is signed? It is the most logical.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
You're forgetting who our manager is.

Ha. Yeah I forgot about that part. But given the strength of each players arms....it wouldn't even make sense for a little league manager to put Crisp in CF, Rios in RF, and Quentin in LF. None of them are in the position where they can succeed the most.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I thought so too. Q being healthy will be a major plus don't you think? And Rios settling in and working with Walker hopefully spells a productive Rios.

If you can give me the Quentin of either the first 2 weeks of last season or of the last week...he's liable to go for 50 HR and make a lot of our offensive problems go away. It just remains to be seen how much the injuries might nag at him

They always said about Quentin that those kind of hand injuries typically took one full season to heal...not unlike Tommy John, and that the second year was the bounceback year.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the rest of CQ will be healthy and durable, but numbers in the mid-range between 2008 and 2009 would be great.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
They always said about Quentin that those kind of hand injuries typically took one full season to heal...not unlike Tommy John, and that the second year was the bounceback year.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the rest of CQ will be healthy and durable, but numbers in the mid-range between 2008 and 2009 would be great.

hand injury? The wrist injury he should be back to full strength this year, I agree. Its the plantar fasciatis that bothers me, that could flare up at any time

Edited by KyYlE23