How to handle Linebrink?

BamaDoc

Lets make the assumption that Linebrink is a 2010 White Sox. Due to his contract that seems likely. So how do we maximize his effectiveness? Many have pointed out his pre and post all star break numbers. He has been great early in many of those years then fades. He doesn't look grossly out of shape but it appears he has a fatigue/injury situation. In his early years, he was a guy who pitched in 70 plus games routinely. Perhaps that use caused some problem. The Sox to their credit appear to recognize this to some degree. I checked his year long stat line for pitching back to back games which he only did seven times. His line was 7ip 11h 5w and 4runs..........so I will begin with never using him back to back. I have no way to know the times he warmed up and didn't go in but that probably needs to go away as well. I would love to hear what his shoulder/elbow scans look like but a vigorous strengthening program may help. Although he will be 33, perhaps a mid season two week break like we did with EL Duque in 2005. I still think he can be a effective pitcher if used properly. It creates a problem that the more effective he is the more you want to use him which is why I think you have to have some arbitrary but absolute rules to keep from over using him.

There might not be a way to "handle" Linebrink. He's pitched barely over 100 innings the last two years. What are we gonna do? Try to limit him to around 35 IP? For whatever reason he's become a 1 half pitcher. Doesn't really make any sense. That's the craziness that is baseball. Which Laroche brother is it that goes from replacement player in the first half to Albert Pujols in the second half? There's just no way to explain it.

Linebrink has kind of been an every other year player, one year he is not good the next he is, that was disgusied a little playing in Petco. I think he will bounce back a little this year and probably be more than acceptable as a middle reliever. He is paid too much money to use in a mop up role, if that is where he is going to best used, he might as well be DFA'ed to clear the way for someone on the farm to get a shot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
There might not be a way to "handle" Linebrink. He's pitched barely over 100 innings the last two years. What are we gonna do? Try to limit him to around 35 IP? For whatever reason he's become a 1 half pitcher. Doesn't really make any sense. That's the craziness that is baseball. Which Laroche brother is it that goes from replacement player in the first half to Albert Pujols in the second half? There's just no way to explain it.

I wish it wasn't true but there is a way to explain it. PED cycles. In most cases they are steps ahead of the testing. JDs bug drop in the second half? Not to rain on anyone's parade but it is part of the game.

QUOTE (yoyozuna @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
I wish it wasn't true but there is a way to explain it. PED cycles. In most cases they are steps ahead of the testing. JDs bug drop in the second half? Not to rain on anyone's parade but it is part of the game.

Dye's second half drop was the same thing he did a few years back when the trade rumors of him going to Boston happened. He can't handle not having his play situation cut and dry. Unless there is an injury that we don't know about, it makes more sense to me.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Agreed. Carrasco is ready for an expanded role. No question he was good in his role last year, but we cant wait to see if the guys who are supposed to get late inning outs...will.

Carrasco is just fine where he is. I wouldn't trust the guy in any high pressure situations as he just doesn't have the skillset. I'd be thrilled if we get '09 Carrasco next year but his 4.34 xFIP suggest that he's in for regression.

With the money we're paying him, you might as well use him in middle relief. Ozzie will end up doing that anyway. What we'll see is that Linebrink will be at least halfway decent coming into the year and then absolutely fail in July and beyond. So for about the first couple of months, Linebrink might not be such a huge issue as long as he's not a setup man.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Agreed. Carrasco is ready for an expanded role. No question he was good in his role last year, but we cant wait to see if the guys who are supposed to get late inning outs...will.

Carrasco isn't that great of a pitcher in all honesty. He doesn't have the stuff to be in a setup role. His fastball is okay, but his secondary pitchers just don't scream setup man. His under-arm curveball is nice, but once hitters see that enough, it won't be that effective.

Keep Carrasco where he is. It seems like Ozzie and the organization loves to overrate the guy for some weird reason.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Carrasco isn't that great of a pitcher in all honesty. He doesn't have the stuff to be in a setup role. His fastball is okay, but his secondary pitchers just don't scream setup man. His under-arm curveball is nice, but once hitters see that enough, it won't be that effective.

Keep Carrasco where he is. It seems like Ozzie and the organization loves to overrate the guy for some weird reason.

Yeah, all Carrasco did for us was work 132 IP in 1.5 seasons out of the bullpen for us with a 3.82 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP.

I agree that he's not a setup man and he belongs in LR, but let's not be stupid.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Yeah, all Carrasco did for us was work 132 IP in 1.5 seasons out of the bullpen for us with a 3.82 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP.

I agree that he's not a setup man and he belongs in LR, but let's not be stupid.

When I meant overrate, I meant that the organization overrated his talent level, not exactly his past performance. Like to the point where they might think he's good enough to take on bigger roles when he's not.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
When I meant overrate, I meant that the organization overrated his talent level, not exactly his past performance. Like to the point where they might think he's good enough to take on bigger roles when he's not.

I don't think they've done that all actually. Carrasco has campaigned for a shot at the rotation pretty much since he's been here and yet the Sox have kept him right where he's at. The Sox love him, and rightfully so, because he saves the bullpen and he gives the offense a chance to get back into games, plus if they're ever in a pinch he can spot start. And on top of all that, he's always ready to go, and he doesn't b**** when he sits for a week.

Linebrink will most likely begin the season as the 7th/8th inning guy (I imagine that Thornton will be used as a LOOGY occasionally). His veteran status, long history of success at this position, and salary will keep him there. Right or wrong, that's the culture in MLB and Ozzie is about as old-school as it comes. I don't have a problem with this as long as they keep him on a relatively short leash this year. The Sox cannot afford two dismal months of Linebrink down the stretch again. If Linebrink falters and Ozzie replaces him with another 7th/8th inning guy (Hudson?), I imagine that he'll demoted to mop-up duty and he'll be dealt (with a large amount of cash) next winter. I hope that the latter scenario never comes to fruition. This team desperately needs Linebrink to stabilize the pen.

Edited by WCSox

To me he doesn't fit for more than an inning at a time thus not mid relief. His early in the year numbers were better than almost anyone we had. Could we prolong that success by only using for one inning, 7th or 8th, and space it to give him maybe one day absolutely off ( not even warm up) and maybe two. Could you use his work days as the days you try to rest Thornton? It would be tricky to pull off, but a year of a guy with a 2.5era vs half a year at 6 to me would be worth it.