Winter/Spring 2009-10 TV thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
So boring. I actually thought Human Target was a lot more entertaining.

24 at this point is doing the balancing act of trying to keep things set up for all the people who have watched all the other 7 years. So sometimes there's a bit of character development/evolution that they didn't need to do in the first season or two. There was a lot of that last night. But Jack still slammed an axe into a guy.

Human Target looked like it had some promise. But it also was kinda cheesy in how it did things; a lot of those classic hollywood near-superhero qualities (The invincible hacker who does everything instantly, the guy who always wins his fight, etc.). It could get stale pretty fast if there's not some decent writing.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
because it was self-consumed the film actually starts to masturbate to itself halfway through.

When I think of filmmaking for the best picture, I don't think people in front of a green screen acting and pretending things are coming at them that they can't see til they watch the movie. Gimme Hurt Locker, Up In The Air, Basterds, Up, over Avatar.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
24 at this point is doing the balancing act of trying to keep things set up for all the people who have watched all the other 7 years. So sometimes there's a bit of character development/evolution that they didn't need to do in the first season or two. There was a lot of that last night. But Jack still slammed an axe into a guy.

Human Target looked like it had some promise. But it also was kinda cheesy in how it did things; a lot of those classic hollywood near-superhero qualities (The invincible hacker who does everything instantly, the guy who always wins his fight, etc.). It could get stale pretty fast if there's not some decent writing.

Yeah I had no problem with 24..I mean it's the first hour..some s*** needs to be developed. Oh and by the way...never bring an axe to a gunfight....unless you're Jack Bauer...1 swing, 2 dead. If Jack Bauer was Spartan in the movie 300, the movie would be called 1.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
How the hell does Avatar win best picture?

I remember reading a link posted off of some website, maybe it was Drudge, that discussed how important Avatar's success is to the future of movie making. It was posted in the days following all the negative reviews of the trailer. The link suggested that if the movie didn't succeed, it would be a tremendous blow for about every future blockbuster movie. There would be a, "We don't want an 'Avatar'" type of sentiment. This would limit the creation of innovative movies that aren't associated with some franchise. A lot was riding on it. Of course, this is all stipulation, but I could definitely see the hidden agenda here of pushing forward Avatar.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
So far, I have really liked the start of 24. Not real into Freddie Prinz, but I'll live. He looks and acts like Tony way too much for me (the first few seasons Tony). It seems like they just wanted Tony 2.

Honestly, I didn't complain about the first 2 hours, but I started to feel a bit bored through that 2nd 2 hour block. Too many long, pensive pauses involving the blonde.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
Honestly, I didn't complain about the first 2 hours, but I started to feel a bit bored through that 2nd 2 hour block. Too many long, pensive pauses involving the blonde.

That story with the blonde better turn into something soon because the parts of the show with her and that guy and not know what is going on is really starting to annoy me.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
That story with the blonde better turn into something soon because the parts of the show with her and that guy and not know what is going on is really starting to annoy me.

I agree...not to mention I keep thinking...WTF could he possibly have on her that wouldn't have turned up through an extensive backround check. She works at CTU, ya don't just fill out an application. I hate unrealsitc s*** on tv, with the exception of Jack Bauer killing 20 people with his bare hands.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
I agree...not to mention I keep thinking...WTF could he possibly have on her that wouldn't have turned up through an extensive backround check. She works at CTU, ya don't just fill out an application. I hate unrealsitc s*** on tv, with the exception of Jack Bauer killing 20 people with his bare hands.

She should just kill the guy and dump the body.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)

Thats funny, I was watching it with my Dad last night, and he said the exact same thing about the background check. Hopefully it ends up making sense.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Thats funny, I was watching it with my Dad last night, and he said the exact same thing about the background check. Hopefully it ends up making sense.

With as many different Moles as they had appear in the L.A. CTU, somehow I don't have confidence.

What an unbelievably terrible show Heroes has become.

Seriously the best the writers can come up with is turning Claire (Hayden Panettiere's character into a lesbian to try to draw viewers).

Why do I bother? I really wish I wasn't borderline OCD and could stop watching shows when they become this awful.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Renee cutting off the guys hand was just ridiculous.

She cut off his thumb to get the tracker off. She has become results orientated just like Jack. Remember Jack used a hacksaw in Season 2 to cut off a dudes head. Renee is just bringing back the old school. I love it! :)

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
She cut off his thumb to get the tracker off. She has become results orientated just like Jack. Remember Jack used a hacksaw in Season 2 to cut off a dudes head. Renee is just bringing back the old school. I love it! :)

That is a bit more acceptable. I thought it was the hole hand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
I believe it was also.

Come on...that would just be cruel. She told him she would get the device off if he could keep his hand still...and whadda ya know....she can. I thought it was the whole hand when she first put the saw on, but when Jack looked at the guys hand, I saw it was only the thumb. At least that's what I think. Find something to cauterize that wound...haha.

• 2 weeks later...